Hello! New member migrating from Manchester to Adelaide mid August - so much to do!

Aquacatrina

Hi! Just found a link to this website today whilst browsing the web during lunch at work. Me, my husband and our 4 year old son got our visa almost 2 weeks ago, booked our flights and will arrive in Adelaide on 17 August, very bleary eyed no doubt.

Currently getting shipping quotes and finding some short term furnished rental accomodation. Also working out the best ways to stay in touch with our relatives and friends back in the UK. Have been practicing our skype video calls on laptops in different parts of the house, now just starting to research Australian mobile phones.

Will have a look round the rest of the site now, bet it's fulls of loads of information we need!

Guest kangomik

Hi and welcome.

We used Movers, based in preston, everything arrived in tip top condition and quickly (8 weeks)

I set the whole skype thing up at home for the rellies...... word of warning if you get mobile broad band here it all depends on your connection/ bandwith. If you get a home landline connection i am told this is not a problem.

Getting credit clearance for this is probably a bigger issue.

As for mobiles well its down to what package will suit..... you may not use it much to begin with, but that can change quickly.

Good luck with the packing

Hi there...and welcome.

There's a company here called Dick Smith's who have really good skype phones. It gives you the freedom of being able to walk around away from the pc. If you subscribe to the skype unlimited country it will cost you about $18 per month and will give you unlimited calls to the UK and in Oz.

Hope that helps

Tamara

Guest BAZnDAF

Welcome :D

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, all you need to do is ask! :)

Good luck with the plans :)

Which part of Manchester you from? we live in Denton, Hyde

Hi and Welcome, you will find everybody on this site ever so friendly and will be able to offer advice wherever you need it. Good luck with your preparations. We are going through the same process ourselves. Flying 5th September 2009 yahoooooo!!!

Alison X

Guest Lozmitch

Hi,

We are arriving on 26 August, good luck with the move, any info or help that you can pass our way would be greatly appreciated.

We live in Buxton and my brother lives in Salford, where abouts do you live??

Have you got a job to go to??

Matthew (32) Lorraine (36) Lewis (5) Hayden (1)

Guest redfoxy
Hi! Just found a link to this website today whilst browsing the web during lunch at work. Me, my husband and our 4 year old son got our visa almost 2 weeks ago, booked our flights and will arrive in Adelaide on 17 August, very bleary eyed no doubt.

Currently getting shipping quotes and finding some short term furnished rental accomodation. Also working out the best ways to stay in touch with our relatives and friends back in the UK. Have been practicing our skype video calls on laptops in different parts of the house, now just starting to research Australian mobile phones.

Will have a look round the rest of the site now, bet it's fulls of loads of information we need!

Hi and welcome to PIA !!

We are from preston and used Pickfords beacuse they were the cheapest for us, we used about half a container. They were very professional and took care of out things.

Watch this space as it looks like we are breaking our lease on our rental by early August, its ends in october and is $ 325 per week at Seaford rise, 3 bed 2 bath large house !! waling distance to shops.

Wow, never expected so many friendly responses already! We're currently living in south Manchester - we sold our house in Fallowfield just after Christmas and are currently renting in West Didsbury.

We've had Pickfords quote for shipping already - we're using up about a third of a container, 2 more quotes coming later this week. My husband is busy searching for some rental accomodation (thanks for the tips) and I'm currently investigating skype mobile phones with 3 in the UK and Australia - trying to see if a UK pay and go 3 skype mobile would work in Australia or whether to wait and buy one out there.

Decluttering and packing is well underway - lots of ebay listing going on at the moment. Must sort out some leaving do's as well.

Will be back on tonight for a real explore of all the forums and to create our profile, must do some work now!

Catrin, Matthew and Nate

Guest Andrew&Ren
Wow, never expected so many friendly responses already! We're currently living in south Manchester - we sold our house in Fallowfield just after Christmas and are currently renting in West Didsbury.

We've had Pickfords quote for shipping already - we're using up about a third of a container, 2 more quotes coming later this week. My husband is busy searching for some rental accomodation (thanks for the tips) and I'm currently investigating skype mobile phones with 3 in the UK and Australia - trying to see if a UK pay and go 3 skype mobile would work in Australia or whether to wait and buy one out there.

Decluttering and packing is well underway - lots of ebay listing going on at the moment. Must sort out some leaving do's as well.

Will be back on tonight for a real explore of all the forums and to create our profile, must do some work now!

Catrin, Matthew and Nate

We lived Chorlton south Manchester!!!;)

had our leaving do at "Uluru Bar" on barlow moor rd!! Oh its a small world isnt it??

Good luck with it all xxx

Guest Brummie

Hi Aquacatrina

Hope everything goes ok with the move to Australia. When you arrive, August is the end of our winter season, so the weather should be getting warmer not long after you arrive. Early spring is a nice time to arrive here. Hope you find rental accommodation ok, and settle with no worries here.

Sorry can't help with packing companies, we have lived here too long, to remember who we used. We came out here on a ship, "Fairstar" via South Africa. I think our packing boxes came on the ship at the same time as us. Look forward to keeping up with your progress.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

We are from Leigh, so just down the East Lancs! We used John Masons of Liverpool, can't recommend them enough. Professional and friendly service, inexpensive and all our stuff arrived with not so much as a broken glass!!! We are currently using pay as you go phones, $30 a month top up gives you $150 worth of credit on most networks. We found that the contracts here aren't as good value as they are in the UK. A little bit behind the times with the mobile contracts, but I'm not complaining, PAYG suits us fine, we dont have that many people to call on mobiles! Text to overseas are 25c, so same price as UK texts. Our landline calls cost us 2.5c per minute with Optus (plus the connection fee of 49c), so all in all, not too expensive to keep in touch with family and friends back in the UK.

If you decide to get a quote from John Masons, ask for Dave and I tell him I sent ya!!!

Good luck with the plans

mandy

Guest georgie and steve

Hi, thats alot of people coming in august, me and my lot landed in cambletown on 13th may 2009. Having an exciting but gruelling time. It is all just so worh it though. we used Anglo pacific for shipping, they are taking alot longer than i think they said they would, in theire defense they said they told me longer, and i have a habbit of not listening if a conversation is too functional and lacking gossip.

Love it, love it love it out here, the city is beautiful but i am bloomin freezin. bring some jumpers, I can not believe it when people tell me how hot it is going to get.

On the subject of shipping, there are several changes i would make to what i shipped and what i rebought here. I have kept reciepts of what i bought if anyone wants to know prices of things, I am a kind of bargain hunter, but i like nice things too.

If anybody wants my number then just ask and I will pm it over. several people did this for me prior to my arrival, I was greatful and I would like to repay the favour.

Good luck, looking foward to adelaide getting busier in august.

Georgie, steve tom and bob