Help us make a decision - Please!

Guest MummyJarvo

Guest MummyJarvo

Hi

We are the Jarvis family and have had our SIR visas since Aug 2005, we went to Adelaide to validate our visas in Aug 2006 and decided not to emigrate. We have changed our minds several times and now are on the verge of deciding to go - however we would like some further information.

What sort of care can we look forward to in our old age.

Will we have to sell our house and pay for private care (if we need it) or is there some kind of state provision or insurance?

What is the pension situation, are they in as big a mess as we are or do we just transfer our private pensions and keep paying?

Would we still be eligible for our U.K pensions?

Can anybody answer any of these questions or do they know of a web site where we could find the answers. We don't want to finally make the decision and then find we would be better off here (seems extremely unlikely) when we reach retirement age.

Also does anybody know if we have to be resident 2 years before the visa runs out i.e the visa runs out August 2009, do we have to begin our residency in 2007 or can we begin the 2 years in 2009, and do we all have to complete the 2 year residency or is it just my husband as the visa application was done in his name with us as dependents.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Sue 43 - Teacher

Paul 44 - Lift Engineer

Rachael 15

Samantha 11

Emma 9

Location Sidcup/South East London borders

An awful lot of questions, but hopefully I can answer the odd one.

Your UK State pension would be paid to you in Australia, but it would be static at it's face value, and does not increase. Any personal pensions can be transferred to Australia and I guess at your ages if you did come you would invest in Superannuation Funds in Australia to boost your income.

There are many retirement complexes in Adelaide, where you buy your own home, and participate in many activities on site, to my mind, much better than Englands old people complexes.

Hopefuly this helps a bit, and some others can give other answers

Guest Bex & Nick

Hiya

From what I understand it'll be your husband's job situation that counts to make the visa permanent. I'm going out as dependent on my H2B. However, its worth noting that if you can get work as well as your husband that this will help the situation - our agent spoke to someone at the High Commission in London about this for us.

Also whilst your hubbie is supposed to work in his relevant area if you can show that he's looked for relevant work but ends up doing something slightly different they'll still look favourably on the work he does get. It's worth keeping all job application stuff including adverts and rejection letters if that happens.

Bex

Guest MummyJarvo

Thanks for all the advice - I know there were a lot of questions but it is so hard to get this sort of information from official sources. As regards the 2 year requirement you have confirmed what we have already suspected - we will have to pull our socks up and get things moving if we want to get the house sold before we go!

One of the main reasons we want to go is that we want to be comfortable in our old age and not living hand to mouth after a lifetime of working hence all the pension questions.

There is just so much to think/worry about - it is such a big move we don't want to end up jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Guest donna T

Don't the answers to any of your questions I am afraid - just make that a few more things I have not even thought about!!

Just wanted to say Hi especially as we are just up the road in Chislehurst! Must get together

Welcome Sue & Family

I think your daughter might be speaking to my eldest son Bradley on the kids bit of this forum

The only thing I know is from my employer about pensions. I can freeze mine (actually called preserve) but its the same thing! or transfer it, but you would have to have a job before you resign, therefore I don't so it will be preserved for now :) It will be paid to you in Australia.

I have up until I am 63 to transfer it to another employer BUT there are conditions, the new employer as to be part of an organisation (sorry cannot remember the letters :) & also ALLOW you to transfer your pension across, some companies won't accept it.

I think I will preserve it until I retire then ensure the bank account I am hoping to set up before I leave (HSBC) won't have to many charges in place :oops:

No idea about STAT pensions but I know I cannot claim my UK child benefits when I leave :cry:

Angela

Guest ste n sasha

:D Hi sue,

:D your daughter has been talking to my little girl (immogen) :D

just grab the bull by the horns and go for it :D you only get one chance in life make the most of it. We are going out in may and cant wait, the only problem is we have we havent sold our house yet just hopeing it sells soon. :(

sasha :D

Hi Sue, for sure give it a go !! I do completely understand as I often have days like that, giving my lovely house up !! A good job...........but I know if I don't try I will regret not trying (if you know what I mean)

Bradley & Thomas just posted a reply to Sammy, its fine being a girl, I think they all are except Brad & Tom. :)

What do the grades mean? I have not seen any paperwork its been sent direct to Sydney, do I need to know?

Angela

Guest MummyJarvo

I don't think the grades mean too much as we still got passed and got our visas - the doctor just said that the girls were perfect (of course we knew that already), but as I have a thyroid problem and Paul has a slight mobility problem with his arm he said he couldn't give us a top grade.

I don't think everybody gets told their grades - we might just have had a very forthcoming doctor. It would have been better if he had not said anything because it just sent me into a panic for a couple of weeks.

I think the way we are feeling at the moment we have decided to rent the house out for the two years we are qualifying for p.r and then either come back and sell it or come back and live in it. We are not convinced enough about going to go without a safety net. Only hope we actually manage to rent it out.

Samantha is really enjoying having someone to talk to - thanks to the boys for chatting to her.

Hi Sue

Thanks for that, he kept saying perfect, fine etc to all of us & I did watch closely whilst he worked through the application but did not notice any grades, having said that though, the bloods & chest xrays were returned this week not at the time we were there so perhaps OVERALL he had to put a grade somewhere.

I think you are right I would have probably panicked unduly, the secretary said everything was fine we passed & it was all sent Friday, so fingers crossed :) .

Bradley luvs talking to the 'girlies', hes not a girlie person being a 'cool' 10 yrs old & that! But I explained that they are all emigrating at some stage like him & Thomas, its good to make friends & talk through things. I thinks hes just starting to actually grow up a bit, bless him. My little one Thomas luvs it, everything about the forum, sometimes he asks me to write things that I cannot :lol: !!

GREAT IDEA about renting whilst you obtain PR. We looked into this but I was worried that if the house was empty I could not afford the monthly payment AND live in Oz, but if you can go for it, safety nets then in place.

Take care

Angela

Guest MummyJarvo

Hi Sasha

Nice to hear from you. Samantha and Emma are having a great time on their forum speaking to other kids in the same situation.

Thanks for the pep talk - we are getting somebody round this week to find out about renting from July and as soon as that is organised we will be booking quarantine for the dog, on arrival accommodation and flights so no more dithering. I feel so much more calm now we are keeping a safety net in place. We will still give it our all but knowing there is a way back makes me feel so much more secure.

Good luck with selling your house - keep us updated. Maybe the girls can get together once we are all out. Do you have any ideas as to what part of S.A you will be settling in.

Sue

Guest dglamoore

Hi Sue

Nice to see you have decided to try it out in Adelaide. Friends of ours have rented their house rather than selling and have no problems so good way to go - at least you have a safety net if you decide it is not for you :D

Good luck with the organising

Lisa :lol:

Guest ste n sasha

:D hi sue,

We had somebody around last week to see about renting our house out aswell, because if it doesnt sell by april we have no other option :( I know what you mean about a safety net.

My girls have found it easier talking to the other kids on the forum they dont feel alone, which is good :D That would be nice for the girls to stay in touch and hopefully meet up.

We have got 2 boxers to take aswell and i am dreading it :D especialy when they have to go into quarantine. :(

We not sure yet where to settle, it depends i suppose on where steve can find work,and where the kids are happy :)

speak soon

:D sasha

Guest MummyJarvo

Hi Sasha

We have a Westie which we are taking with us - my hubbie is having sleepless nights worrying about her being shipped over and sitting in quarantine, he worries more about her than the anything else. :?

We were advised that the quarantine places are fully booked and that it was best to book the dog's a place in a quarantine kennel ASAP.

It is upsetting when you can't explain to them what is happening. :cry:

Sue

Guest ste n sasha

Hi sue,

I know how your hubby feels :(

Have you been in touch with the petcarriers :?:

we were told that we would have to book everthing by end of feb to make sure that the dogs had places :( because we are going in may

I am just hopeing my dogs will be ok and that they will be together :)

you worry about them as if they were the kids :roll:

Speak soon

Sashaxxx

Guest ste n sasha

I have been in touch with two carriers, airpets and

animal airlines and i still can't decide which ones to use,

i am going to phone them both on

monday, to ask some questions before i commit. :?

Steve was flicking through some links and

found somebody had used airpets and said

that they were good :)

How are the plans going for the big move,

have you sorted the house yet :?:

speak soon

:D sasha

Guest MummyJarvo

Hi Sasha

We have a couple of agents booked to come round and give us the lowdown on renting. We are also going to find out about selling/cashing in our endowments and using these for a bit of capital when we go as we will not have the money from the house. We can then swap our mortgage to a repayment and hopefully everything will work out.

Our eldest is doing her G.C.S.E exams this year so we will be looking to go at the end of July when she finishes them (she is not at all happy at the prospect of then having to do another year at school when we get there). We have to be there by 10th August or we will not have enough time left on the visa to qualify for p.r.

We also heard some recommendations for Airpets when we were looking last year we also heard some stuff about the animal crates being left on the tarmac in the heat at Hong Kong airport while awaiting plane changes - don't know if things have improved now but I know the general concensus at the time was to avoid routes through Hong Kong for the animals.

How are arrangements going for you?

Keep in touch

Sue

Guest ste n sasha

Well i have been in contact with them, they both said that they fly from heathrow and that they stop at singapore, they are then checked and then fly on to melbourne. Airpets seem the best out of the two :)

I'll let you know more when i know more

Well i am of work this week and trying to get a few things sorted :?

Getting more and more stressed :?

We have to be there by the 15 may :!:

speak soon

sasha