Getting a job on a 475?

Guest duncans

Guest duncans

I have read many posts on here about folks having trouble getting a job on a 475, however also read posts on here and read the SA government site stating that you can get an official letter to ease employer concerns. Has anyone got any experience.

PS I would be looking for senior management and marketing jobs!

This is just my opinion and I know some people will disagree but...

I came on a 475 and had not applied for any jobs before arriving but had kept my eye on the job market both in the press, through contacts and through seek.com.au

I went to the resume and job workshops that are provided by the SRS department of the government and found them worthwhile especially in getting the resume and cover letter sorted so that they stood out from the crowd

I previously worked in a senior management position in IT in the UK but after taking several peoples views on board decided that I may have to go back slightly to establish myself within Adelaide and it does appear that a lot of jobs are not advertised and are sorted by word of mouth

I started a job within 4 weeks of arriving and didn't mention 475 on my resume but did at the interview and showed the letter that you talk of to my employer and they were fine with it and I got it from a post on here somewhere - sure someone will point you in the right direction

The position is slightly lower than what I left the UK but I am working 37.5 hours per week and not the 60+ that was the norm in the UK so well pleased!!!!

I have read some people have not had the same experiences with certain employers but I'm sure you'll be fine

Fingers crossed and good luck

Guest vicbob

I must admit to being a bit worried myself about the 475 visa/job situation. When there are not many jobs about you dont want to give an employer any reason not to employ you over somebody else, but i think the above posts show that with a bit of preparation, you can certainly improve your odds.

Guest Lulujim

My OH has got a job from Woolies in management over here. He explained we were on the 475 visa, and they didn't even see a letter from us, but were absolutely fine with it.

I know others here on a 475, one working for herself, and the other in IT too - and have had no problems with the visa too. You'll be fine ;)

When there are not many jobs about you dont want to give an employer any reason not to employ you over somebody else...

Got to agree, and in my (admittedly very limited) experience employers don't know much about visa types and are only bothered if you're entitled to live and work here (there are some exceptions to this - perhaps defence etc, but I'm generalising), so the last thing you should do is make a big deal about your visa.

I know someone who really struggled to get a job on a 495 SIR visa (which is also what I have) but he seemed determined to discuss its details and limitations with every prospective employer ...

Jim