Hi I'm new

Guest shazzakidala

Guest shazzakidala

Hi

My name is Sharon, I'm married to Shane who is a locksmith although he has just qualified as an electrician. I have a daughter Ashleigh who is 14. I also have a son Ryan who is 18 and going to University in September so he won't be emigrating with us.

I am a nurse (qualified 18 months) and we are hoping to emigrate to Adelaide sometime around the end of January 2010.

We were under the impression (maybe naively) that Australia is a lovely hot country to live in. Can anybody tell me what the weather is like in Adelaide summer and winter. Does it get really cold and is it like UK weather at all.

Great site with some very useful threads on here.

Ah. The thing about the weather is that you KNOW that it will be a good long summer and a short cool winter. It has been cool recently, down to 3 degress in the City at night. It feels colder because the houses aren't set up for it. You can stand it though, because you know that summer starts in September. You aren't just hoping that you get one like in the UK. That being said, there will be some days when you don't want to go out between 10 and 4 because it is too hot. They have beer though and that helps.

Guest kellyp

Hi

The summers are wonderful (even the 40+ days) and make the cold in winter bearable beause you know you have them to look forward to!! You acclimatise pretty quickly, I wear the same winter coat over here which I wore in England to watch my son play winter sport and I am sure it doesn't keep me as warm even though the temperature is not as cold (hope that makes sense!).

Good luck with everything.

Kelly

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Sharon,

You can check out some climate averages and daily temperatures on www.bom.gov.au

Here's a snap shot of some averages :

Elizabeth - North of Adelaide

Average Summer High - 30 degs Average Winter low 6 degs Average Rainfall 425mm

Adelaide City

Average Summer High - 29 degs Average Winter low 7degs Average Rainfall 544mm

Myponga - south of Adelaide

Average Summer High - 27 degs Average Winter low 4degs Average Rainfall 761mm

Sterling - hills of Adelaide

Average Summer High - 25 degs Average Winter low 5degs Average Rainfall 1115mm

London England

Average Summer High - 22 degs Average Winter low 3degs Average Rainfall 593mm

Some places aren't that much warmer than England.

Generally the weather is great in summer, apart from a few days of heat waves it's generally very nice, last January saw the temperature rise to 44 degs (there were only 7 days over 35 degs during Jan), but we also had a cooler day of 22 degs with a low of 10 degs which will feel cold, so it can be a bit up and down. The temperature figures though do not reflect the dry humidity we have, in other words it will feel cooler than the same temperature in the UK, a 30 deg day in the UK will feel very hot and sticky, here it will feel a nice warm pleasant day.

The winter days are ok, but the evenings can be cold, getting to below freezing away from the coast and in the hills a few times a year. Personally we haven't felt this cold for a long time and a colleague I work with from Sweden is equally cold in winter, but it's just due to the lack of insulation and adequate economical heating systems. So we generally wrap up more than we did at home in the UK and go to bed earlier.

Guest GG1975

Hi Sharon,

We're experiencing a cold spell at the moment (15oC during the day), getting plenty of rain along with the cold. As I see it, at least with the cold, as long as you rug up then you're fine.

As for the summers here......sensational and managable. I could honestly say they'll be a few days and nights in the middle of summer where it just gets long in the tooth.......as long as you have an air conditioner (in the car and the house) then you'll be fine.

Good luck to yourself and your family

Lisa

Guest Brummie

Hi Sharon,

If you want to keep track of our weather go to www.ninemsn.com.au then click on weather, you can put in areas by name or post code, post code of city of Adelaide is 5000. That site shoud tell you all you need to know.

Rita

Guest Brummie

Hi Sharon,

Forgot to say when the page opens you need to scroll down to the bottom and click on weather. Then put in post code or area, on the left hand side.

Rita

Guest kangomik

Look lets be honest... its bloody freezing... down to 4 or 10 at night, its like living with the doors open in your home in winter..... because it is winter here.

The insulation is crap, the gaps in the windows that breed breezes are great in summer, but not good at retaining heat in winter. Its 15 degree in the day whoppee doo! its cold. We have been here 14 months and have acclimatised, did i mention its cold!!!!

Get reverse cycle heating at least !

So thats the whinging pomme bit done with.

Yes winter will be colder than expected, summer is hotter than you will ever appreciate. but theres a glorious 3 to 4 months either side where you just sit abck and say WOW. You even learn to live with temps at 38 degree and class those as normal....... and we haven't been here long.

If your travelling just for constant temp, then look at QLD or NT, SA is not the place for a constant temp.......... again it's a research thing....when its 46 degree even air con won't keep you freezing, when its zero, and yes for a night or two it will hit zero, then you keep the heater on.

The rest you soak up and enjoy

Guest harper210267

I've been on the site since late April. However I think I forgot to intoduce my family and I but hvaing been as active as can be on the forum.

The information on the weather has helped us also, so thanks for that.x