Brown Snake

andy and lindsey

Just a word of warning even though we dont see many/any they are still out there -

My children have just come home from playing to inform me that 2 of the children they had been playing with had caught a snake and put it in a bag - Sent Andy out to check and sure enough the two children in question had picked up a snake and put it in a bag - a metre long brown, is it poisonous they asked, as Andy reads them the riot act! :err:Luckily it was quite docile as the weather is cold and in my childrens defense they were very scared of it so stayed away!

Do they think they have the potential to be the next Steve Irwin?? The kids in question were Aussies, maybe its just us pommes that go OTT when warning their children about the danger of snakes.

Crikey!!! EEEK................

Only seen the tail end of a brown snake, and i was blooming petrified.

Well done you for having the cojones to check it out..............

The advice when you come across a snake is to stand still, and be quiet! Yeah right, and the snake will naturally realise that the trouser leg offering shade and shelter is occupied,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Guest katsmajic

Maggie uncovered one in a cupboard at school - they were moving class room and clearing out their art stuff - she says she was terrified, but the school called the snake man and he told them that the poor snake was so cold he couldnt have hurt them, he wrapped it up and put it in a bag and took him away...:err:

glad they found it in the cold weather not in spring time when its warming up and its waking up!

Guest Brummie

Hi Andy and Lindsey,

I think your OH should go to the children's parents and tell them what they have done, so they can also warn their kids of the danger of picking snakes up, especially brown snakes, they are very deadly.

Guest Guest75

Flippin heck!!:err:

You'd have thought they would have known better!

I was going to post a little warning today .

Yesterday I was burning off some prunings.

I always have a a good poke around in the piles in case anybody /one is hibernating.

Pulled out a very sleepy and grumpy Stumpy lizard.

I was certainly keeping my eye out for snakes.

Guest jetskitony

My friend lives in the bayswood estate aldinga beach, on wed she was about to step out of her front door when she spotted a 2 metre long brown snake she started sceaming dragged her husband out of bed who had been working nights to watch it while she rang the council,her neighbours came out with brooms then an australian guy drove over it 4 times and said thats how you get rid of them,the guy who came out to collect it wasnt happy.my friend needed a couple of extra glasses of wine that night lol shes still in shock.

I'm not suprised the snakecatcher was unhappy - brown snakes are a protected species and you must not kill them. They are a 'catch and release' native reptile and have to be released within 2km of where they are caught.

The quickest way to get bitten is to try and hit a snake with a broom/shovel/stick, and don't try to run them over as they can get up into your wheel arches and find their way INTO your car. And of course never, ever pick up a dead one, as their fangs will still contain venom and if you get a scratch from them you're going to get really, really sick.

My friend lives in the bayswood estate aldinga beach, on wed she was about to step out of her front door when she spotted a 2 metre long brown snake she started sceaming dragged her husband out of bed who had been working nights to watch it while she rang the council,her neighbours came out with brooms then an australian guy drove over it 4 times and said thats how you get rid of them,the guy who came out to collect it wasnt happy.my friend needed a couple of extra glasses of wine that night lol shes still in shock.

Think it was the same snake - it was outside my neighbours house! Your friend who was armed with a broom, hammered on our door knocking my husband up (who was also on nights!) ;)

Small place!

Lindsey