Hello - am struggling to get started with application

Guest Geordie Boy

Guest Geordie Boy

Hi there folks - Trevor and Marie here. Have just found your forum and am hoping you may be able to cheer us up.

Have just returned home from Adelaide after a fantastic holiday which turned into a honeymoon after we got married in the Registry Office on Grenfell Street :D

We` were staying with Marie's brother who has lived out there for 10 years and in now an Aussie citizen, and we absolutely fell in love with the place, and decided that we wanted to live there permanently.

However we seem to be having difficulties at the very first hurdle.

Although we are both experienced HR Managers, I am over 45 and despite having reams of academic and professional qualifications and meeting the points target, fail because of my age :(

Marie on the other hand is under 45 and has about 10 years experience but has NO qualifications since she left school at 16, and therefore is not eligible for entry despite meeting the points target and having a family member who would sponsor us both.

We do not have sufficient spare capital to be able to apply for the Retirement Investment Visa.

We are pretty frustrated and feeling low at the moment, but hope that someone on this forum might be able to tell us that we are being too pesimistic and point us in the right direction. We haven't yet spoken to an Agent but have written to GoMatilda to ask them for their 15minute free phone consultation to see if it is worth going on or whether we should just accept that we are going to be stuck in the UK

Hope somebody can cheer us up - or the red wine will be getting it;)

Guest dglamoore

Hi Trevor and Marie and welcome to the forum :D

It must be incredibily frustrating with the hurdles you are up against but a good migration agent would be able to tell you if there is any way round them - we used Go Matilda and they were very knowledgable :)

It is possible to get your skills assessed on experience if no qualifications on some occupations so an agent would be able to advise if this is possible for you and help you get the info together. Good luck with it all and enjoy the wine while waiting! Hopefully things will become more positive once you have chatted to Go Matilda.

Lisa:cool:

Guest Guest75

Hi Trevor and Marie.

Congratulations on your marriage here!!!!

I can appreciate how easy it is to fall in love with this place :D

I see your brother has Citizenship - he may be able to sponsor you.Perhaps through work or balance of family.Do tell the agent about your brother,he might just be the key!!

The very best of luck.

Hi Guys, welcome to PIA!

Have you thought about one of you (or both) becoming a mature student and doing a course/degree at Adelaide Uni?

Maybe a student visa could get you one foot in the door and then like Tyke said your brother could sponser you.

Good luck

Judi x

Guest Geordie Boy

Thanks guys for the thoughts and support.

I kinda like the idea of trying a student visa but genuinely didn't think that would be an realistic option. Will deffo check that out. Still waiting for GoMatilda to get back to us

Trevor

Guest debbieuk

hi there

another agent is thinking australia. on their website you can do a free initial assessment or ring them for a chat if yiu do their assessment they will get back to you very quickly.

they are a lovely team and are helping us

hope this helps

debbie

Guest Geordie Boy

You guys are really great - a special thanks to debbieuk for pointing me towards thinkingaustralia who have been very helpful.

It seems that I will be eligible for a long stay temporary business visa (457) and we have an interview arranged with the agents a week on Sunday in Glasgow.:D

I know this doesn't guarantee anything but at least it gives us some hope - and the depression of last week has been lifted for now.

......and they say a week is a long time in politics ......:)

Fingers crossed (toes eyes and anything else I can manage too )

Trevor and Marie

Guest debbieuk

hi trevor and marie

glad i could help

have you been on the thinking australia forum

they are a lovely bunch on there

maybe see on there sometime

debbie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordie Boy

Woo Hoo !

My meeting with thinkingaustralia went very well and they are very positive about my chances of a permanent visa (employer sponsored 457?) :D

So now I am in the market for a job and am beginning the process of getting in touch with recruitment agencies, updating my cv/resume etc ...........................

......................... anybody know of anybody looking for an experienced senior HR Manager ?

Trevor:D :D :D

Guest Carolynn B

Australian water board are looking to recruit at the moment. My sister started there 12 months ago in HR and is now a manager. They have a recruitment stand in London and Manchester in November this year but don't know specific dates. Sorry.

Guest Geordie Boy

Carolynn

Thanks for that info - have read about these emigration shows on another thread but we are very new to this idea of moving so how do we find out where and when they are happening?

Trevor

Guest happy-jools

Good luck Trevor. Hope all goes well for you.

Sorry cant help with the emigration shows, but just thought id send my best wishes anyway.

Great news about the visa, so fingers crossed you can get a job.:jiggy:

Guest Carolynn B

i'll ask my sister - after all, they are paying for her to fly over for two weeks to man the stall! Lucky thing, plus of course it means that I get to see her again... wipee!!

Guest debbieuk

hey trevor

pleased everything went ok with TA did you meet darrell himself how lovely is he????????

as for expos we are going to the manchester one in october ...i have put the link on here but as it is the first time i have done this it may not work

good luck with the rest of your journey nd we may just meet at a barbie down under

debbie

www.expo-australia.com/