Confused.Com

Guest Mrs Imp

Guest Mrs Imp

Dear All,

We are currently trying to work out which visa suits us best as well as location and I thought i was pretty settled on Adelaide! I have just spent about 3 hours on here and very sucessfully scared myself silly about everything and so thought i'd just say hi and ask if its usual that lots of people either return to UK or do not acutally enjoy the big move.

I'm probably more twitchy than usual having 5 year old twins to entertain as well as another due on Christmas day - so please ignore me, but the facts remain...

Are there lots of things for smallies to do? I know the weather is much more stable than here in the UK, and cost of living prob comparable to my location.

Are you being hit by the recession over there as much as we are? We seem to be being mugged by everyone over here and they predict that its only going to get worse!! What with that and the current exchange rate -shocking - I am about ready to keel over and turn turtle as it all seems too much for a bear with a little brain!!

Well thats me, what a great first impression eh...all comment gratefully received (I think!):wideeyed:

Guest cazzie

Hi Mrs Imp,

Sorry can't help on the type of visa as I married an Aussie and i can't help out with the smallies either as my children are grown up. However, welcome to the site; I'm sure there are lots of folk out there with good advice for you. Some people do go back home and have their reasons for doing so, some stay there and others ping pong right back. It's worth giving it a try and especially worth it with young kids I think as the pace of life is slower and the outdoor lifestlye is far healthier. The recession has hit (I think) but it's not as bad as the UK. Good luck.

Guest Django
Dear All,

We are currently trying to work out which visa suits us best

Have a gander on the immi site http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/ If you can you need to get a PR visa as it gives you more flexibility and entitles you to things a provisional visa doesn't.

As for location I wouldn't worry about that until you get here and see for yourself.

Any questions ask away. There will always be someone with the answers.

Pete

Guest graandjac

Hi, there is heaps to do, and although people say "the weather cant make that much difference".......believe me it does, for us quality time with the family dosen't mean heading to fun(theme parks) or having to spend money, its trips down the beach, treks in the country, using the free BBQs that are everywhere,and just being outdoors more often. On the crime front, dont think it dosent happen here .......but NOWHERE near the level as the yuk, ask all the questions you want there will always be the answer somewhere on here.....good luck;)

Hi Mrs Imp,

welcome to the forum!

First of all, the brain shrinkage with your condition is just about right, and doubts about the move are inherent to the process.

It isnt an easy, or cheap decision to make.............but you are already doing the right thing..........research!!!! Not everyone has a positive experience, not everyone has it rough.................and returning to the UK is a PERSONAL decision based upon individual experience.

for those who have returned, i think it must have been the bravest thing to have ever done...............they gave it a go, it didnt work, and they go back; takes a bit of backbone that one!!

Adelaide is a lovely place to bring up a family...........and you're right, the cost of living is comparable, unless you think about bedlinen, shoes(sob) and a decent hairdo!!

The lifestyle is very different, and yes, the weather plays a part in that..........no escaping that fact.........

There are some issues, crime etc, but hey, where isnt that an issue? Mostly its safe, imo, and i havent seen too much in the way of crime...........lucky me.

Good luck with it all, whatever you decide to do

hello!

as someone mentioned before: research research research and talk to everyone and anyone you can get hold of!

if you like adelaide try adelaidebound.com ;)

we can't comment on the living in oz just yet (we are at the last hurdle and will be over soon though :jiggy: ) - but i guess you don't really see how many actually move and do stay in the end! they just don't talk about it!

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kelv&haley

just thought i'd say hi, and dont worry, at some point everyone has freaked out about what a big change they are making,i totally have sooo many times in the past 22 months since we started this process.....but now we are at the end and heading out soon with three children 5 and under,only a small budget(house rented,not sold due to crap market valuation)and just our suitcases,i am so excited,it will be hard,but we've researched every aspect again and again and we really wanna give it our best shot,positive outlook,determination and a thick skin will help im sure,good luck with whatever you decide,as everyone else has said, make sure you have as much info to help you decide,and everyone on here will always help, regards haley