Is the grass really greener??

Guest Mark&Vikki

Guest Mark&Vikki

Hi, we're Mark 42 (Mehanical Fitter), Vikki 36 (Housewife) and our 3 children, Maisie 8, Joe 5 & Woody 2. Just registered on PIA tonight.

Mark has had TRA passed, we were going for PR but his trade has been taken off the 'wanted' list. Luckily SA still have it on theirs so we're going down the sponsorship route.

We're having a bit of a 'wobbly'patch at the moment though wondering if we will be better off over there or not. Would really love some honest stories, good or bad, on people's experiences of moving over there.

We're a bit daunted and wonder where's the best place to start, i.e. area, good schools, 4 bed rental properties (seem to be loads of 2 & 3 bed but not 4) also rental costs seem quite high?? Could you still have a good standard of living, food costs, utility bills etc. Please advise x

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys and Welcome to PIA!

Firstly, the questions you ask are difficult ones, because everyone's opinions will be different, but for what it's worth here is mine!!

We like the Blackwood area in the hills, 20 mins to the city, 20 mins to nearest beach, good local schools, good train connections - station in Blackwood, bus service regularly, lots of shops, supermarkets and amenities locally. Rental prices are higher than the UK BUT you do get a LOT more house for your money. In this area you can expect to pay $350 upwards per week for a 4 bed property. Some of the more southern suburbs are cheaper than this ie Reynella, Woodcroft, Hallet Cove, Aldinga, Seaford etc etc. There are lots of 4 bed rentals available, some have pools too. Have you looked at Flagstaff Hill/Aberfoyle Park? There seems to be quite a few there at the mo, reasonably priced and a lot of them have pools too. Groceries, in my opinion, but of course if depends on how you shop/eat, run out at much the same price weekly as in the UK. Meat is definately cheaper and nuch more tasty as are the fruit and veg, but packaged stuff seems to cost quite a bit more, so overall it balances out.

£ for $ I don't thinks it's necessarily cheaper to live here, but then I have only been here for 5 months, so my experience is rather limited. However, what I do know is that this is where I would rather be. Everyone is friendly and has the time of day for you, customer services levels are fantastic and things in general are just much more chilled out. There is lots to see and do, without spending an arm and a leg!

Anyways, other peeps will be along soon to share their views, just bear in mind that we are all different and have had different experiences.

Good luck and best wishes

Mandy

Guest katsmajic

Hi, prepare for alot of conflicting opinions - read them all and digest!

Our experience 16mths in, we love it, for us the grass is definitley greener - we came from a nice little village in gloucestershire - the hills all around adelaide and driving out and about remind us of wales...its lush and green in winter but brown and dusty in summer.

The sponsored visa is a route in but remember you do not get any assistance - rent/family benefit etc - people know this but still complain, and it really can make a difference to your budget - for our 4 kids initially we got about $500 a fortnight so if your on a low wage it can impact big time!

Wages here are unusual imo, im paid alot more here as a chef than i was in the uk as a hospitality manger. my oh is a toolmaker and cannot find regular fulltime work (came on his skills) he works at the b&q equivlient for a similar wage!

schools - pick carefully, tour and tour again, our experiences are pretty much all good, but theres other members who have had nightmares.

Yes for us its amazing, we love it, my mum is moving out too, which is fab.

We have had really bad times here, not listing them as some way too personal, we could have thrown the towel in but we know our future lies here.

Good luck, take the bad opinions in as much as the good - because some people have horrific experiences, usually those on sponsored visas to be honest.:wubclub:

:)

I'm really sorry but....

Yes the grass IS GREENER at the moment......:biglaugh: am now rolling on floor laughing at own joke, but am nearly at the end of the day and need to go home and it's chucking it down outside so the parking inspectors wont have been out in force. :biglaugh:

Seriously though you will get a big mixed bag of comments. In short, a lot of people come, settle and do well, some do well after a short interval of worry and hardship and some it all gets to them for many diff reasons (all perfectly valid) and they go back home. I think it depends what kind of greener grass you are looking for as well. This is a different country, with different viewpoints, different things for sale, pluses and minuses depending on the situation you are leaving. Perhaps work out the specifics of your main worries and research around those. EG Food costs, check out the websites for Coles on their home delivery site, this will give you an idea of average food costs. Have a look at www.realestate.com.au for rental cost examples and what you will get for your money. It is normal to have wobblies...that is why brides have to traditionally be manhandled up the aisle by fathers to ensure they don't run off and have a good time :)

Guest cazzie

Hi there,

I think if you have a young family, then Adelaide is a great place to be. The pace is slower and the outdoor/sports/beach life is great. The weather is much sunnier (although it's terrible today!) and the sky seems bluer. I miss my family badly, but I wish I had moved out here years ago with my kids still young. It is definitely worth giving it a go. We like the Seacliff/Brighton/ Hallett Cove areas and the beaches further south such as Maslin are gorgeous. Good luck.

It does not matter if the grass is greener it is wether life for you and your family will in your opinion will be better that what you have at the moment. We are going through the process and although we have a good life here we feel for us and our girls it is the right thing to do for various reasons. Do your homework and then sit down with the pros and cons and dont forget to be honest with your feelings about family and re starting. If you are then 100% commited go for it and dont let anyone tell you different.

Good luck.

I'd suggest having a browse on sites such as http://www.careerone.com.au and http://www.seek.com.au, as well as the Adelaide Advertiser job site, get a feel for where employers might be based for your husband's job. I have a feeling - but do check it out for yourself - that most will be based around the northern suburbs, in which case, if you set your heart on a suburb way down south, he'll end up not only with a long daily commute, but also lots of employers I've heard of won't even look at a CV from someone who will maybe have an hours drive to work each day (I know, it's your choice, but it's an employer's market!), so he'll be limiting his opportunities if you're living in Aldinga for instance, and the employers are all based around Wingfield.

When you first arrive, try to base yourself short term somewhere fairly central, or make sure you have a hire car and do a lot of driving around. Once you get an idea of where you or your OH are likely to be working, use that as a guideline for which suburbs to consider. If you want beachside, if you want hills,if you want trees around, if you want public transport etc... There are plenty of excellent schools and excellent suburbs all over - I think even if the workplace was in the 'roughest' suburb, you could find a place to live within an easy 20 minutes drive maximum that's in a lovely area.

If at all possible - and I know money comes into the equation as well as time - do a recce visit first, chat to employers while you're here, check out some suburbs and schools, but if you can't do that, then take your time when you get here, don't rush into anything based on others opinions, and don't try and find somewhere to live before you have an idea of where you'll be working.

Diane

Guest graandjac

The Million Dollor question, and there isn't a right answer just differences of oponion, are we better off....?, we earn less but dont spend as much, work just as hard but play even harder, seem to have more family time here without spending more, we are more chilled for sure ,due to the fact that everyone seems so friendly which that alone puts a smile on your face .

Daily life goes on work, cook tea ,kids to bed..............but on a whole its not about what you earn , we all said in the begining its the "lifestyle" we want and in our mind our Family lifestyle has improved:D. good luck

Guest caoimhe

First off welcome to PIA:wubclub:

This is a hard question to answer, as said previously it depends on each individual circumstances. We are here on a provisional 3 year visa as we didn't have enough points for PR. Although none of us want to go back if I had known how difficult things would be I wouldn't have come. The lifestyle is great here and my kids are loving it, we find we do a lot more as a family and can do so many free things with the kids that the weather at home never allows but financially we are eating into our savings constantly to get by so really do your homework as regards what wages you may earn and remember if you come out on a temp state sponsored visa you will not be entitled to family assistance or help with childcare and this really can make a big difference. I personally think some things are dearer here and some are cheaper and overall we spend pretty much what we would have spent in the UK although I reckon houses are a lot cheaper and bigger here.

I agree with Mandy regarding people being a lot friendlier and more helpful and life really is so much more easy going which is great.

Do as much research as you can but only you can make the decision.

Good luck

Guest kangomik

If you have a high wage in the UK then seriously think about it.

Sorting your mind out is key i think, have a serious think about what you will miss and can you all cope without those.

Realise that you will do exactly the same chores as you do in the UK, but things are quirkier here. Food shopping is deffinately different.

Saying all that, we came for a better quality of life for the kids and on that score it's ticked the box's.

It ticks a few more for us also.

Remember what set you off on this adventure, go back to those thoughts.

The grass sure is greener for us too! The move was a great thing for the kids, always outside playing, even yesterday in torrential rain Will was on his bike! People are so friendly and approachable and not up themselves, we all go out more and for me living by the beach is a winner, even to drive down and look out at the sea whilst having my pie and Iced coffee gives me pleasure, and we have so much more space which causes less friction, all in all after 14 months, wow we love it, best thing we ever did!

Simon:)

Ive been here 13 months now and had so many ups and downs its untrue. Dont underestimate how hard the initial move is, many people think getting the visa is the hard part, believe me thats the easy bit. Be prepared that things are going to be different from the uk on many levels and that you may need to start from scratch on some things.

On the whole for me now the grass is much greener, but its taken me a while to realise x:)

Ive been here 13 months now and had so many ups and downs its untrue. Dont underestimate how hard the initial move is, many people think getting the visa is the hard part, believe me thats the easy bit. Be prepared that things are going to be different from the uk on many levels and that you may need to start from scratch on some things.

On the whole for me now the grass is much greener, but its taken me a while to realise x:)

Good on yer chick...so pleased for yas.....

The grass is deffo greener for me over here, with the exception of the cricket result that is :daydreaming:

you gotta be 100% sure that your doing the right thing, not just for yorself but your family as a whole, the early part is bloody hard work and there is alot of adjusting to be done.

Come with an open mind, take in every piece of info that your given, make friends as quick as you can cos the closest friends become your new family, our new family are awesome.

The aussies are lovely people in my opinion ( never met a bad one yet ) .

All the best and catch you on the other side soon.

HG

Guest Tina P

The aussies are lovely people in my opinion ( never met a bad one yet ) .

All the best and catch you on the other side soon.

Hi,

'Never met a bad one yet' comment always makes me laugh - :biglaugh: I have, lots.

Just like everyone the world over, rude people do exist here aswell.

I have also met lots of good Austrlians.

Everyone is different so no one can answer if the grass is greener for YOU.

Good luck

Tina

Guest nishman

It's greener at the moment, but only because of all the rain we've had recently - by Christmas it'll be back to it's dry and crispy browness:)

Whether it's greener or not is maybe not the issue. It's different in many ways, some of which may take some getting used to - some you'll like, some you might not. Beach and outdoor life are great - infrastructure and driving (!) probably not so good. Wages can be comparible (depending on how you compare I suppose); cost of living (food and beer) are not cheaper I would say and we certainly shop a lot smarter now because of it. Wine is plentiful and cheap-as, fuel too i would say is cheaper.

We both work now, which is a lifestyle choice, but given our kids are older and more independant now anyway, it is likely that we would have been the same in the UK.

If nothing else, it's an adventure - and if it was all plain sailing and easy, where would the fun be in that :cute:

Guest Mark&Vikki

Now then mike, yes it's me wacker back home. Hope you're all settled in now and all is going well. Rick Sherburn was telling us you're having a great time out there.

Maybe now I could pick your brains about houses, areas, jobs and schools if you don't mind. As you know, it all seems a bit confusing when you're still over here.

Been on some job sites and it seems like there's plenty of work, is that the case?

My email is walker812@tiscali.co.uk if you get chance to advise us on some stuff.

Many Thanks

Mark & Vikki

Hi, we're Mark 42 (Mehanical Fitter), Vikki 36 (Housewife) and our 3 children, Maisie 8, Joe 5 & Woody 2. Just registered on PIA tonight.

Mark has had TRA passed, we were going for PR but his trade has been taken off the 'wanted' list. Luckily SA still have it on theirs so we're going down the sponsorship route.

We're having a bit of a 'wobbly'patch at the moment though wondering if we will be better off over there or not. Would really love some honest stories, good or bad, on people's experiences of moving over there.

We're a bit daunted and wonder where's the best place to start, i.e. area, good schools, 4 bed rental properties (seem to be loads of 2 & 3 bed but not 4) also rental costs seem quite high?? Could you still have a good standard of living, food costs, utility bills etc. Please advise x

Can I ask what Visa are you going on? Is it a 175/176 because we thought you did get benefits on this Visa? (if anyone can confirm please). Anyway you will get loads of advice off the guys already out there on this site. We visited last Oct and now cant wait to go. Good luck, Penny