Hi

Guest RachelClea

Guest RachelClea

Hi everyone, firstly thanks Lisa, I'm not sure that I'd be here without your help!

We only made up our minds a week ago to move to Australia so we are relative babies to the whole process compared to most of you here, we are just putting in our TRA, which is quite complicated as my partner Quentin is self employed.

Having never been to Australia it's a bit daunting, but thanks to the wealth of information on the net we've decided on Onkaparinga as our destination.

We have two kids Toby (5) and Bethany (13) who are both very excited at the prospect, Bethany however is my daughter from my first marriage and we have yet to tell her father of our decision! I must add that her father moved to southern Ireland six years ago and only sees her once a year anyway.

I would really value anyone's opinion on whether to use a migration agent or not, and what the cost of doing so would be .

Rachel

Guest Guest75

Hi Rachael

Welcome :-)

May your path here be short and not too painful :-)

Onkaparinga?

Do you mean Onkaparinga Hills? - I live there - nice place,we are very happy here.

Look forward to you posting.

We did use an agent based here in Adelaide.It was not cheap and to be honest we could have probably gotten in anyway but we wanted it done "properly"

Guest dglamoore

Hi Rachel

Nice to see you made it :lol:

Greg is also self employed and I must admit the prospect of TRA on our own was just too daunting for me (and I am not easily phased :lol: ) so we opted to go the agent route.

We used Go Matilda who have been superb from start to (nearly) finish and although our TRA was very complicated Shaun made it feel like a breeze - not cheap but worth every penny. What made ours harder is there are no qualifications in metal polishing so Gregs was completely work based and a lot of companies are no longer around so a few stat decs to sort.

They would also be able to advise you on the process for getting permission from your ex to take your daughter to Oz.

Good luck with the rollercoaster that is migration :lol: :lol:

Let me know if we can help you out with anything as we still have all our paperwork and examples we worked from.

Lisa :lol:

Guest donna T

Hi Rachel - welcome tho the site - we used Overseas Emigration in Edinburgh who were very good but a lot of people have recommmended Go Matilda too.

We def needed their help with the TRA as Russ's application was work experience based rather than qualifications and most of the companies had gone bust. - They def earned their money at this stage.

Good luck with the application

Guest Libby1971

Hi Rachel

We also decided that we wanted it done properly. We didn't want to take the chance that we would be told no because we hadn't got it right.

We used Ian Harrop with offices in Borford, Oxon and London. They were great. Recommended because a friend of a friend had used them and now the friend is too.

Good luck. We are heading in Onkaparinga Hill direction too I think. My daughter Emily is the same age as Bethany.

Libby

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jane.Mason

Hi Libby

We also used Ian Harrop, we stated the process in Oct 05. Due to family probs this was put on hold till Oct 06. Ian has been great throughout, never delving too deep, never putting pressure on and appreciating the decision we're making.

We're both self employed which makes it doubly difficult.

JANE