Hello and some Questions

Guest shella_n

Guest shella_n

Hello

My husband and I have always wanted to move to Australia permanently after previously spending time in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.

We are in talks with a company in Adelaide and are hoping to get sponsord by them.

We have friends that have been granted a 175 visa and they have just returned from a reccie to Aus and they have put my husband off of Adelaide as they say its not what we are expecting and the weather was cold. HOw they know what we are expecting is anyones guess but im hoping you guys might be able to help me with sme questions so I can convince my husband that Adelaide is ok and not to wait for an offer from Brisbane.

1) What is the weather like really? I mean, here in UK I would say that we spend 4-6months of the year indoors cause of the weather and even our summers can be ruined by the rain. HOw much of the year are you able to venture out?

2) what time does it get dark in the evenings? daft question I know but with our clocks just going bacl it is dark here by 5pm now (yuk)

3) schools - generally what are the class sizes? my 5 year ols started this year and her class is massive and I really feel like she is falling behined as the teacher just donesnt have time

ummm thats all I can think of for now but if you can think of anything else positive about adelaide Id love to use it in my argument with him. FYI he is origionally from S. Africa and he surfs and we both scuba dive. We like camping and are kids are 3 and 5.

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to speaking to you all over the coming months.

Michelle

Regarding the weather, after being here nearly two years I'd say it's pretty much as we'd envisaged - long hot summers and cool, rather wet, winters. It's certainly not sub tropical so isn't like Brisbane; more Meditterranean (not exactly like the Med, but pretty close). The winter we've just come out of didn't seem to know when to end, so September (and a few days in October) didn't feel like spring, and for a place that's suffering such a drought, it didn't half rain a lot over the last few months!

You get nice days, though, even in the middle of winter. Spring and autumn days are (generally) pleasant, with cool to cold evenings.

Just a point about trying to convince your husband about the merits of Adelaide. imho, it would be better to find out objectively as much as you can, positive and negative, rather than establishing a position then trying to prove it; after all, Adelaide might not be right for you - it isn't for everyone!

btw, it doesn't stay as light in the evenings in the summer as in the UK, but it has longer days than Brissy!

Good luck, Jim

Guest shella_n

Hi Jim

Thanks for that.

I know what you are saying about convincing him but Adelaide is the only door open to us at the moment and id rather be there than here and in 2 years time we can then move on to Brisbane...its either that or waiting here util 2012.

Thanks again

Michelle

Guest mayjess

Adelaide is lovely, but what is one persons dreams can be another persons nightmares, you should go see & then decide, all depends what life style you are after! nice clean open spaces, beaches and parks etc, the weather is nice because you get real seasons in Adelaide but lovely hot summer.

Mayjess

Guest nishman

In mid-winter, i'll be dark 5:15/5:30. In mid-summer, it stays light until 9ish. So no coming home from school in the dark!

This last winter has been cold, wet and windy - and from what the locals tell me, appears to be more like a normal winter (the previous ones we've had have been a lot drier/less stormy). If your friends had come in the last month or so, they would not have been too impressed with the weather - especially as most people think Oz is hot and sunny all year...

Summers are probably more predictable, so organising BBQ's / outings etc are a liitle easier. In the winter, you'll still get nice spells of "fresh" sunny weather in amongst the wet and cold weather, but you maybe have to take a chance, or make last minute decisions :). You do get four seasons, but I'd say that Autumn and Spring are not "big" seasons and tend to merge into summer and winter.

Adelaide is a small sprawling city, definitely smaller/lest vibrant than it's Eastern cousins. That suits us. You do get a long summer here, with a couple of scorching spells (one spell last year - over two weeks of 35°C plus). Surfing and camping are very popular, and are something we have certainly taken to.

Ultimately, you do need to see it for yourself to make your own decision of course.