The Big Move - Adelaide

Guest sa2uk2oz

Guest sa2uk2oz

Hello All,

After reading a lot of the posts on here, we decided to register and have a chat as well as do a bit of research.

Hubby is a Plumber and we were grnated our visa within 5 months of applying, which surprised us a lot as we were told it would take from 12-18 months, our house has just sold and we are now just waiting on the paperwork to finalize a date to fly out.

We have two small children and have heard Adelaide is very family friendly, we settled on Adelaide after watching the BBC series wanted down under.

Can anyone give any advise on what our first move would be once we land ( i know a hotel with room service would be a good start, so one can just eat and sleep to recover the long flight), but after that?

We have looked into opening bank accounts and the like, but all so very complicated and not straight forward.

Any advice would be appreciated :rolleyes:

sa2uk2oz

Hi, welcom to PIA,

There will be quite a few people who will give you all the in formation you need on this forum, bank accounts I understand are quite straight forward to open and you can do it from the UK, you will need to get a tax file number so you can work, you will need to register for medicare, change your driving licence to an South Australian one and you may find you need additional assesments and registrations to work as a plumber, what you have to do depends on what your qualifications are exactly. You can find out a lot about how to do all this on http://www.adelaidebound.com/ on this site you will find everything you want to know.

Good luck

Simon

Guest sa2uk2oz

hey there

thanks for quick reply, will have a look into that website you mentioned. I saw a post from HiFix re bank accounts, and have emailed them for more info.

You in Kent i see. Have you ever been to Adelaide?

C

hey there

thanks for quick reply, will have a look into that website you mentioned. I saw a post from HiFix re bank accounts, and have emailed them for more info.

You in Kent i see. Have you ever been to Adelaide?

C

No, I have never been to Adelaide or anywhere in Australia, I know for sure I dont want to be in the UK though, just going to turn up with suit cases and make things work out for us, if we get the visa. We dont have any young children my wife is not from UK its going to be an adventure cant wait. Where abouts are you from in UK?

Simon

Guest dglamoore

Once you have your flight dates you can book meet and greet and OAA so long as you have 6 weeks notice.

OAA is basic cheap accomodation which you can apply for to stay in up to 12 weeks - supply is limited so you are not guarunteed to get it though :rolleyes:

Meet & Greet is where volunteers will meet you at the airport and take you to where you are staying. They will also help you with bank accounts, local shops, tax file etc and give you lots of info on arrival ;)

The SA immigration site is down at the moment but there is nore info on there when they have got it back online ;)

Best advice is to get yourself a car and somewhere to live first - the rest will follow and there is no time limit on having to get medicare, tax file numbers etc sorted

Lisa:cool:

One of the first things I did when I got here was open a bank account.

I was worried that they would need proof of address, which at the time I didn't have, but fortunatly, all you need is your passport, U.K drivers licence and another bank card in your name.

Its very simple and straight forward and your account is instantly opened for you to make transactions. Within 3 days a statement is sent to the address you have been given, so then you have proof of address to go and do whatever is next, such as change your drivers licence and so on..

Good Luck

Judi x

hello and welcome!!

no need for me to add any advice - all has been given already!

unless of course you have more questions ... then just ask away!

but oh wow, you sure did have a fast process!!!!

Guest sa2uk2oz

Thank you for warm welcome.

It seems we are meant to be there due to the speed at which we got the visa.

Let me explain our user name, sa2uk2oz and a bit about ourselves

My husband is South African, as am I, both my parents are British but i was born and raised in South Africa (so consider myself a South African?), we have come to the UK and have been here for near on 10 years now, but we just can't seem to get used to the limited amount of space we have here and we would also like a better way of life for our 2 youngsters, aged 4 and 2, both were born here in the UK.

So we have travelled from South Africa 2 UK and now on our way to Oz

So i hope no-one is offended that we aren't REAL Poms ;o) and that we may continue on this site?

Pretty Please, i'll make you all cake when i get there?!?!?!?!?!?!

Guest jen&ian

Hi guys,

We set up our bank account with Westpac from here in the UK over the net and it was pretty straight foward, I think most people would recommend using the meet & greet service, we certainly intend to. I think everything else will fall into place once you get there and can decide on your families priorities. I think you have 3 months to change your drivers licence (someone will soon correct me if I'm wrong).

Don't worry you are by no means the only none pom, pom, we are a very international bunch ;).

Jen:)

Guest sa2uk2oz

LOL ..... yeah you gonna become a whino and a chocoholic before you get there, save some wine for me, gonna need it, we exchange next week and now it's all go...go...go....!

Hopefully flying out sometime in October!

Claire