Another newbee

Guest joe40

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi Joe, welcome to PIA, we are in the same boat, got PR, just awaiting to sell the house although oh already has a job (Nurse) and has to start in Feb so might have to rent it out until the market picks up.

Where abouts in the uk are you from? How old is your family? and what trade do you do?

Hope everything works out for you.

Craig.

Guest steph&neil
Hi, i'm joe, hubby andrew and daughter kate, have pr visa just waiting for house to sell, can't wait, any tips on areas to settle in adelaide,

cheers

Joe

Hi congrats on the PR! areas to live depend on a lot if factors, as always it is a matter of personal choice, there are lots of posts in PIA on what each area is like - but you will struggle to know till you are here!

When we arrived we stayed in serviced apartments in the city, (highly recommend them The Franklin Street Apartments), then had a dodge rental for 2 weeks & then got a short term let & within 6 weeks a long term rental which we are still in!

the long term rentals can be quite disappointing compared to UK standards - we had never rented before & so that was a shock in itself! we are looking at buy next year! the best advice I can give you is to network with people so you don't feel alone -everyone get homesick (it affects everyone!!), the suprising thing I found was it was silly things I missed. We went back to the UK for 3 weeks & couldn't wait to get back to Adelaide! We will always miss friends & family but wanted to give our kids a better life, the work life balance is also much better for us!

:cute: I hope this helps steph x

Hi Carolandcraig, I'm 43 and am in retail, hubby is 42 and a joiner, daughter kate 17, completing A levels, had visas a couple of years but been hanging on for daughter to finish school, got a viewing this morning for me house so fingers crossed, we are in south yorkshire, you?

Guest Carolandcraig

Thanks Joe, must be hard for you daughter moving at that age. Im origanlly from mansfield but living in lincoln at the moment, my wife is a nurse and will be the bread winner shes already got a job and has to start in Feb at the latest, so if the house hasnt sold them might rent it out for a few years until the market gets better.

Hope all goes well with the viewing. let us know how you get on.

Guest The Dimmocks
Hi Carolandcraig, I'm 43 and am in retail, hubby is 42 and a joiner, daughter kate 17, completing A levels, had visas a couple of years but been hanging on for daughter to finish school, got a viewing this morning for me house so fingers crossed, we are in south yorkshire, you?

Hi,

Welcome to PIA

We are also waiting for our house to sell. Been on market since middle of September had 3 viewings within first 3 weeks and nothing since. I really feel in limbo at the minute and can't wait to get over there. My hubby is also a joiner.

Good luck with house viewing, hope it goes well.

Michelle

Guest smiles36

hi we are waiting to but sold house container shipped just waiting for holls in dubai to have christmas with brother in law, then to perth on 27th dec for a few days then to seaford rise on 30th dec cant waite its dragging a little now

steve

Hi I agree with steph, untill you get here you will not know where you want to be, so talk to people buy a directory and drive around. And yes the rentals can be shocking it took us a while to find one suitable but they are out there so don't get discourage. There are so many lovelly places to live here, you are spoilt for choice. We are on the penninsular a town called tapeeroo we love it. well good luck and use this site it is usefull for a lot of things.

Marie

Guest Team 'W'

HIYA TO ALL YOU NEW GUY,S THAT ARE CUMMIN"

First you need to get over jet lag[which in my case was a week lol.then you need a car if you havent already brought one.Theyre cheap enough to hire for however long u need 1.depending on where your stayin like steph said drive round and have a look ,what suits us might not suit you.there are some great areas if you have kids maybe near the beach is best for you.You might prefer to be near a certain school you,ve chose if only one of you drive it makes it easier.As for rentals "well"ye theres some crap and theres lots of really nice ones if you can view them first thats a bonus if you ask to view and get ignored dont even go there,theres one or two of us who have been stung but dont worry the more questions u ask it will make it easier for you or u can PM people and they will tell you who to stay clear of so hope any of this helps and look forward to hearing or even meeting up with any of you in the not so distant weeks/months ahead have good flights and safe journeys

Hi to all the people who are about to embark on Adelaidean shores. It's funny, this time last year we were in the same boat not knowing what we were letting ourselves in for, and here we are a year later! What we did was look at the schools and started conversing with them via email before we left home shores. We knew that we wanted to be near the sea, so only looked along the coastline areas. We found a school that was brilliant in answering all our questions, met us when we got here, took loads of time to settle our daughter (and us actually) into life here.

So, we chose the suburb due to the school as we didn't mind having to commute to work (at most it's a 40 min drive really) if our daughter was happy. As it turned out we found the school suburb (Henley) too quiet, so we moved slightly down the coast to Glenelg, but the school were happy to let her stay on.

Deciding on a suburb really depends on what you are into, where you'll be working, your interests. As already mentioned houses can leave a little to be desired (especially in the winter months!!!), but, all tend to have large outdoor areas, which is brilliant. Our main concern/bemusement was to find bathrooms with electrical sockets next to the sink!! go figure......!!

Hi everyone,

can anyone please help me, what the meaning of the following

05/11/2009 Health requirements finalised Message

19/08/2007 Medical examination required Message

19/08/2007 Chest X-Ray report required Message

19/08/2007 Chest X-Ray film required Message

19/08/2007 HIV blood test required Message

thanks in advance:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all!

Thanks to all replies

SOLD my house, have to vacate for xmas so we are having to rent here, my daughter takes her A levels in June, then were off!!! can't wait, we have had our pr visas for what seems an eternty. Can we ship wooden furniture in, ie: dining table etc, or do they need to be checked, and does anybody know what I need to have done with my tvs to bring them along too. Cheers

Joe 40

Guest Team 'W'

hi jo

when you have the removal guy round they will go through your stuff an if their good will point out things thats a defo no no, or things that have to be spotless,things like pine cones,untreated wood,dried flowers,candles if have bees wax in them is a no,some spices if opened is a no,some that are sealed is a possibility,aerosols are a defo NO,garden stuff have to be clean,tv;s depending on age can be tuned in but tv over here has a lot to be desired;hoovers have to be spotless,as long as you are truthful when doing your itenary and know what there looking for and you have covered it you will be fine and not have a nasty bill thrown at you,just go round the house with the removal expert and they will go into every room .Like i said if theyre good they will pick up on things we had three different removal companys round 1 ov them told me nothin went in every room and told me what size trailer i needed but not what i could or cudnt take.the other two i questioned a lot and they was helpful hense we had all our stuff delivered with no nasty surprises......jeyes fluid is a really good strong odour cleaner and once they smell this there usually happy but they wont just take your word for it they will pick things at random and check it .

Morning all!

Thanks to all replies

SOLD my house, have to vacate for xmas so we are having to rent here, my daughter takes her A levels in June, then were off!!! can't wait, we have had our pr visas for what seems an eternty. Can we ship wooden furniture in, ie: dining table etc, or do they need to be checked, and does anybody know what I need to have done with my tvs to bring them along too. Cheers

Joe 40

Hi Joe,, congrats on the sale of your house.....

We get our container tommorrow, so we have just been through quarantine. Wood is ok if it is treated and always lived in doors. wood thats been out side they wont take. Clean everything and check your christmas box make sure there are no pine cones or things made from wicker.. That is all they found in our entire 20 foot container 2 pine cones and one ornament made of wicker. But like team w said the removal companys should be helpful in that department but if you want to know for deffinate email australian customs they will help. ( DO NOT use European Van lines )

Watch out for the question about items under 12 months of age. We had to pay $90 gst for three items under 12 months of age..

Good luck

The Harris family.