it's a long time 39 years

Guest Brummie

Guest Brummie

Hi

Well it's 39 years ago today that my parents bought us all to Australia. Mum, Dad and 5 kids. We sailed from Southampton on the ship "Fairstar" via South Africa on the 4th of November 1970. Came as 10 pound poms. Didn't have jobs or house to go to went straight into a migrant hostel on arrival. The trip over took about 6 weeks, and we all had a fantastic time on the ship. For us kids it was a great holiday, even before we got to Australia.

I'm eternally grateful to my parents for bringing us here, I have only gone back to the Uk once in the time we have been here. My dad never went back, he passed away 3 years ago yesterday 3.11.06. I'm married to an Australian and have three grown sons, with two weddings coming up next year.

It's a great country to live in, and I just want to say, to all of those people who are homesick stick it out because you will win in the end.

Guest Team 'W'

hiya brummie, i was five way back then,and my father in law wanted to come to australia as a 10 pound pom but it was not to be,my mother in law wouldnt hear of it so it wasnt spoken of again."But guess what" were here living the dream for him that he once had.when he knew we was commin he couldnt get us here quick enough[in a good way i think]But it didnt take 6 wks it took 19 hrs.[oh my how times have changed.And your dead rite about it being a great country to live in and i hope we only go back to the uk for a holiday cos i would hate to have to leave here.your so lucky to have spent 39 yrs here and you,ll have lots more years and happy times ahead especially with two weddings to look forward to[happy days].