Newbies to Adelaide life

Guest the umphs

Guest the umphs

Hi all,

We're the Umphray's and we've just validated our visas. There's me, Dan, my partner Sheena and our 16 month old daughter, Milly.

We are back in the UK today (VERY sadly) as we used the time to do a reccy to look at suburbs, job/property markets, etc. We loved it and fell in love with Brighton, and Glenelg seems to have really developed over the last 8 years (since we were last there).

The one issue that is a problem for us is work. I work in people development/training whilst Sheena's a curtain designer (and will start her own business). As the bread winner there's no work at all and causing concern for us. Does anyone know what the status is if you can't find work - e.g. finding alternative, moving to a diff state, etc?

I'd really appreciate anybody saying hi, and also giving us there top 3 tips for a successful life in Adelaide?

The Umphs

Guest andrew_obrien
Hi all,

We're the Umphray's and we've just validated our visas. There's me, Dan, my partner Sheena and our 16 month old daughter, Milly.

We are back in the UK today (VERY sadly) as we used the time to do a reccy to look at suburbs, job/property markets, etc. We loved it and fell in love with Brighton, and Glenelg seems to have really developed over the last 8 years (since we were last there).

The one issue that is a problem for us is work. I work in people development/training whilst Sheena's a curtain designer (and will start her own business). As the bread winner there's no work at all and causing concern for us. Does anyone know what the status is if you can't find work - e.g. finding alternative, moving to a diff state, etc?

I'd really appreciate anybody saying hi, and also giving us there top 3 tips for a successful life in Adelaide?

The Umphs

Just want to say Hi. I moved to Adelaide (Glenelg) back in may but ended up returning to U.K due to problems and no work for me. Big mistake as there were just as many work issues here in the U.k i have managed to find some work to save up the money to return to Australia. Big mistake coming back

Guest Lyndie Loue

Hi Andrew, can I ask what your trade/job is? Did you get many interviews & how long did you stick it out for? Hope you don't mind me asking, think it would help quite a few of us

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Taylors08

Hi The Umphs..

Sorry i cant help you on your work front but just wanted to say i think i met you when you were over.. At the water fountain in Glenelg your little daughter was getting wet. I think it was your first day, you might not remember been jetlagged. My name is Kelly and i had a little daughter Grace with me..

My hubby is a plumber and he got work within 2 weeks of been here and loves it.

Sorry for hijacking your post just wanted to say hi..

Kelly

Guest WoodMartin
Hi all,

The Umphs

Hi there

To answer a couple of your questions:

Your visa type will affect whether you can move states, we were sponsored by SA and have agreed to stay in SA as part of the conditions of sponsorship. Had to let them know our address. If you're on a 475 (the state sponsored visa) then you can do ANY work, anything counts towards the working requirement to get full residency later on (you need 12 months full time, can be either of you but not sure on the rules for self-employed.)

For training you will need the Cert IV in Training and Assessment for pretty well any training role if delivering accredited training. I have almost done mine (waiting to be assessed) by providing all my UK qualis and proving experience. I started doing this from the UK, let me know if you need more info. I know there are a couple of other trainers on here who'll maybe be able to help with info too. I'm a trainer, and so far have not found work - but it is still quite early on in my hunt so I am not overly concerned yet. What do you train?

Hope this helps.

Ali

Guest the umphs
Hi there

Your visa type will affect whether you can move states, we were sponsored by SA and have agreed to stay in SA as part of the conditions of sponsorship. Had to let them know our address. If you're on a 475 (the state sponsored visa) then you can do ANY work, anything counts towards the working requirement to get full residency later on (you need 12 months full time, can be either of you but not sure on the rules for self-employed.)

For training you will need the Cert IV in Training and Assessment for pretty well any training role if delivering accredited training. I have almost done mine (waiting to be assessed) by providing all my UK qualis and proving experience. I started doing this from the UK, let me know if you need more info. I know there are a couple of other trainers on here who'll maybe be able to help with info too. I'm a trainer, and so far have not found work - but it is still quite early on in my hunt so I am not overly concerned yet. What do you train?

Hope this helps.

Ali

Hi Alison,

Thanks for the info, very helpful and really appreciated.

We have a 495 visa and have lined up a few potential opportunities. I'm confused and need to understand if I can work outside of learning with that visa (is it like the 475?) - and ideas?

My role is in Learning & Talent Management (worked in financial services, oil & energy and currently in telecomms). Although i do facilitate training, I'm not a trainer per se, more an internal consultant. I'm qualified in a few psychometrics and do the good old performance management training, etc. I'm CIPD qualified and have a professional coaching qualification as well as psychometrics, etc. How much have you had to do to achieve Cert IV in training and assessment, I'm hoping not too much for me with 8 years experience??!!??!!

Good luck with your search. I noticed a few roles on seek.com.au in Adelaide, have you had any interviews? Great to have contact with somebody with similar background. Do keep me updated if possible, I'm really keen to hear how you get on. Perhaps we could start our own consultancy when I arrive?!?!?!

Chat soon,

Dan

Guest WoodMartin
Hi Alison,

Thanks for the info, very helpful and really appreciated.

We have a 495 visa and have lined up a few potential opportunities. I'm confused and need to understand if I can work outside of learning with that visa (is it like the 475?) - and ideas?

My role is in Learning & Talent Management (worked in financial services, oil & energy and currently in telecomms). Although i do facilitate training, I'm not a trainer per se, more an internal consultant. I'm qualified in a few psychometrics and do the good old performance management training, etc. I'm CIPD qualified and have a professional coaching qualification as well as psychometrics, etc. How much have you had to do to achieve Cert IV in training and assessment, I'm hoping not too much for me with 8 years experience??!!??!!

Good luck with your search. I noticed a few roles on seek.com.au in Adelaide, have you had any interviews? Great to have contact with somebody with similar background. Do keep me updated if possible, I'm really keen to hear how you get on. Perhaps we could start our own consultancy when I arrive?!?!?!

Chat soon,

Dan

Hi Dan

Not sure in any detail on the 495, sorry. I reckon once you're here there is no check on what you're actually doing though? I had a quick look at the 495 just now - if I got it right you need to live for 2 years and work for 1 before going for permanency, clock starts after validating visa. Did not see any requirement for specific roles though? Someone will put you right if I have missed something I am sure.

For my Cert IV I have provided certificates (NVQ equivalent of Cert IV) and examples of things I'd done in my work in the UK. Nothing extra has had to be done so far apart from learning up the knowledge of the systems which is obviously important and Oz specific while the skills are the same. Like you I have loads of experience, just need to prove I can do it in the Oz system hence the knowledge needing to be done. (NB: Not complete yet - it's with an assessor so I'm waiting to hear if there are any gaps, which there might be, which mean I need to do extra.)

My job search is going OK so far - slowly, but I always have something in the pipeline, either applying or waiting to hear. There are not loads of jobs advertised in the area I am looking at, but I never thought there would be so I am also contacting people on spec. (Not getting much response there so far though. :sad:)

Will def stay in touch, share experiences when you finally get here. What date are you flying out for good, do you know yet?

Ali

• 1 month later...
Guest 0125dannydanny
Hi there

Hope this helps.

Ali

I am wanting to move to Adelaide , I am a qualified Chef . I have not worked in that field for 3 years though. Do I need to work for the next 12 months as a Chef before I can start the ball rolling?

Also I thought you needed to stay in the job you got the visa with ? it would be great if I could change work when over . I would not want to come back to the uk.

Happy New year!

Hi Kelly, im hijacking your post now lol, im a plumber and we are moving out to adelaide once our visa app is passed, it would be useful to know if there is much work in Adelaide for our skills (plumbing Gas), i see your husband didn't struggle at all to get work, how is he getting on, what's it like working with weather conditions etc?

Seeing people like yourselves enjoying the life in Oz is a massive inspiration for us across the waters, really glad for you.

How long have you been there?

Many Regards Gary..

Guest WoodMartin
I am wanting to move to Adelaide , I am a qualified Chef . I have not worked in that field for 3 years though. Do I need to work for the next 12 months as a Chef before I can start the ball rolling?

Also I thought you needed to stay in the job you got the visa with ? it would be great if I could change work when over . I would not want to come back to the uk.

Happy New year!

Hi Danny

Happy New Year to you too.

Specific rules: it all depends on the visa type you're aiming for.

I am quite sure that to get the points for being a chef (or anything on the skills list) you need to have worked in that role or a related role for the last 12 months. You also need to get the positive skills assessment, which will involve proving your training and qualifications. (I almost went down this route to be assessed as a chef, but the rules for skills assessment changed on me... if you're qualified you will be fine though.)

Have you spoken to any migration agents? They will just about all go through a free consultation with you (some are online questionnaires so you don't even need to speak to anyone in the frst instance) to determine what visa type may be an option and what restrictions re living or working there might be for you. Or the Australia Dept of Immigration website lists all the rules. Try this link to look through the different visa types (175 may be the one to look at first) http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-outside.htm

Hope this helps

Ali