Phoning the UK

ladycasper

Guest Rob and Clare

It's a bit boring at not the cheapest but we use our Telstra home phone, pay $5 per month and pay 39c connection and 2c per minute. It's always available, always switched on and a 1 hour phone call costs just $1.59. Sure you can save money but surely it's only a few cents you can save.

Or you can pay $10 and get $10 of international call credit with the same call charges. If you make quite a few international calls it's only fractionally more expensive than some phone cards.

Hi All,,

What is everyones experience of the cheapest and best service to use to call UK ?

We previous used an Oz phone card but found at busy time there was no service via their access number.

Can you buy access and up front minutes on line ??

Thanks

Lynne

I have always found the Daybreak phone card (from newsagents) to be reliable, and have rarely failed to get through.

You can also use Skype and buy credit which allows you to call ordinary phones, though make sure you have a good internet connection (I have found our wireless 3G broadband to be unsuitable for skype phone calls because the upload speed is limited - so I can hear them but they can't hear me).

I have always found the Daybreak phone card (from newsagents) to be reliable, and have rarely failed to get through.

You can also use Skype and buy credit which allows you to call ordinary phones, though make sure you have a good internet connection (I have found our wireless 3G broadband to be unsuitable for skype phone calls because the upload speed is limited - so I can hear them but they can't hear me).

Thanks for that..

We do use skype on video calls but I agree on wireless it is not always that good and somethimes we give up and call using the traditional telephone !

Besides its not always easy facing the parents ! LOL

I might like to phone whilst doing the ironing ! so the plain old phone is useful

Lynne