What made you decide on Adelaide?

Guest dglamoore

Guest dglamoore

What is about Adelaide that makes you want to live there? Or is it a case of only visa available to you?

When we first started looking into migration an SIR to Adelaide was our only option as our occupation is not on the modl and we did not have enough points for anyhwere else.

We were chatting the other day about what we would do now if the points changed and we could go anywhere in oz and Adelaide stayed our preference (which may surprise some people :D )

I have been on loads of forums for different areas and always have a good vibe when reading about Adelaide and it just feels right for us. Wierd that somewhere you have never been can feel like home :lol:

So if you could go anywhere would you still chose Adelaide?

Lisa

hi lisa,

when we first applied we had to go to adelaide,then the points system changed and our agent informed us that we now could go any where, so straight away we started looking at perth as that seemed to be the place it was all happening, so after lots of research and talking to people who live there and people who have been on holiday there, i still felt drawn to adelaide,we have a friend who lives in perth who has just been on hols to adelaide so we asked him for an honest view of both,[he loves perth by the way]he said perth is bold and brash and almost americanised in that you have to drive every where whereas adelide is or seems older and more typical of a british city with neighbourhood pubs and shops and you dont have to drive as much.Western oz is booming and house prices are rising about 35% a year so not many bargins to be had nowadays.Any way after reading his email we both still wanted to go to adelaide probably more than before also i hear they are a bit more horsey in adelaide so that siuts my daughters and me and cameron my partner is already a member of the south australian shooting club, i think he did that before the visas!!!! so adelaide it is on the 1st of jan. hayls

Guest donna T

We had to go for SA as we didn't have enough points for other places, but after spending a lot of time doing various bits of research, I feel I have come to get to know Adelaide. It seems to be friendly and relatively unpretentious and a great place to bring up the kids.

Hubbie would love to go to Sydney as he travelled there when he was younger but I keep telling him he is no longer a single man in his 20's!! :roll: Wife and kids might cramp his style a bit now!

So Adelaide it still would be even if we could go anywher.

Donna

x

• 2 weeks later...
What is about Adelaide that makes you want to live there? Or is it a case of only visa available to you?

Hi there

We did look at Melbourne (weather too much like Scotland) and Canberra (house prices too expensive) but then decided on Adelaide. A few reasons, but mainly that it is a bit more laid back than other cities, Mediterranean climate and it just seemed like a really nice place to bring up our son, and the cost of living is definitely lower than in the UK. We have been here 3 months now and are renting in Brighton. We had jobs arranged before we flew over (both nurses) and the only fly in the ointment is that we miss our families back in Scotland. Our son has settled well into school and loves it here. We have made friends and are enjoying our new life downunder.

Good luck to all of you who are planning to move over here, we can definitely recommend it :D . Catherine, Grant and Sam.

Wet Britain........a walk on the beach on Xmas day. I know what I prefer!

We were restricted due to points too, I think we were 5 points short, but having, like everyone, researched about SA Adelaide I am now really looking forward to when we emigrate (fingers crossed!).

Still a few worries about my 2 boys settling in etc aged 10 & 6 but I know it will give them a great life down under & they will thank me for it one day!

Regards

Angela :D

Hi catherin, grant and sam

Wil you be having turkey then or not, i hate it myself!

Well my girls are Charlotte 13 and Georgia 12 they are coming round to the idea its just the new school thing, Charlotte is quite shy and i do worry but we are going to adelaide, its taken us over 2 years.We are waiting to see if we have got the oaa so fingers crossed.Another thing that is worrying me is my younger sisters baby is due on the 28th dec as i fly on the 1st of jan!!!!!.

speak to u soon Hayls.

Enjoy that sun!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulocon

Hello All, Just waiting for our SA Sponsorship decision - been waiting 7 weeks now and it's doing my head in, waiting for an answer!!

Originally we wanted to go to Queensland but because my trade is not required there at the moment we were advised to go to SA for 2 years and then look to move up to Qld. I have seen on here postings mentioning the points system changing etc, could anybody please inform me if this is true and when its due to change as this could have a big bearing on our visa application etc!!!!

Thanks, look forward to hearing from someone with some advice!

Guest dglamoore
Hello All, Just waiting for our SA Sponsorship decision - been waiting 7 weeks now and it's doing my head in, waiting for an answer!!

Originally we wanted to go to Queensland but because my trade is not required there at the moment we were advised to go to SA for 2 years and then look to move up to Qld. I have seen on here postings mentioning the points system changing etc, could anybody please inform me if this is true and when its due to change as this could have a big bearing on our visa application etc!!!!

Thanks, look forward to hearing from someone with some advice!

Hi

Haven't seen anything recently on points changing - how many do you currently have? Big changes seem to happen around July as this is the new financial year in Oz but they have been know to alter at other random times too!!

Seems to take forever waiting for that sponsorship etc doesn't it. Once you get the visa in it's odd as then everything seems to just stop after months of paperwork - then just a looong wait.

Good luck with sponsorship

Lisa

Guest paulocon

Hi Lisa, thanks for your reply - I think I have 105 or 110 points without the bonus state sponsorship points. I have had may TRA assessment (60 points score for my occupation) granted and so I was hoping to be able to apply to more than just SA. I thought I had seen a few postings from members stating that they too had thought that the points system was changing or to be relaxed shortly. Having said that if we get in - dont really care too much (its gonna be better than here - and after 2 years we can move to Qld) were we want to be!!!

Thanks again (waiting anxiously for our decision) any day now!!!

Paul

Hi Paul

I know exactly how you feel about waiting for your sponsorship - we received ours today - its been just over 6 weeks - so, as others have said - bet you'll be hearing any day now - try not to worry.

We too have the same points as you - we will have to make up the pionts with paying the £40K bond. I was really worried that the points system was going to change before we were able to send in our application.....and then not be able to apply - but luckily this hasnt happened.

We, like many others, really didnt have a choice - either adelaide, tasmania or darwin. To be really honest I think I would have chosed adelaide anyway. Perth & Queensland are gorgeous and have great beaches, but Im not sure I could stick the heat all year round - I like having the seasons. Adelaide is a great place to bring children up and because housing is more reasonable - we will be able to live in a nicer home.

Good luck with hearing - hang in there.........

sarahx

Guest paulocon

Hi Sarah, thanks for your posting - we are also with ASA agents. What I find strange is that we applied for SA Sponsorship on the 20 Sept and still awaiting our decision yet you only applied on the 29 Sept and you have been accepted - why does it take some cases longer than others!!! Also can I ask you why you have been told you must lodge the £40k bond - although I am aware of this - we havent been told by our agents that we must have this amount as a condition of our application!! What kind of a visa are you applying for? (mine is a 495 SIR visa - occupation Graphic Prepress Tradesperson).

regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

This is just a hunch...but you probably know how offices can work...Im NOT saying this is the case, but ASA may have heard and its in a post tray for someone to add a message....it could be something like that. What I tend to do is ask when we are likely to hear (they said 4-6weeks) when it came to 4 weeks, I kept adding little messages like 'cant wait anylonger - no nails left'...'do you think it will be soon?, getting anxious'. I just like to highlight myself, and also little messages just remind them that we are here...waiting. Its really strange, because we had to wait ages for the Vetasses and as soon as I started doing the little message on a daily message for a few days....we got a reply! Same thing happened with the Sponsorhip.......give it a go - it might work!

Also, we will have to pay the £40k bond as it gives us the extra 5 points that we needed. We are having to sell our house to release the equity.......we were told that the bond will be requesting once medicals and PC have been sent and its usually requesting just before they are about to issue you with the Visa....

We are also applying for a SIR 495 - under 'General Manager'....think it was a 50 pointer, but cant remember now....

Will be crossing my fingers for you.....getting posting those messages...make yourself sound desperate for info.....

sarahxx

Guest dglamoore

Hi Paul

There are other states that also do the SIR. The main difference is that they have a skills shortage list you must be on to apply for sponsorship whereas SA will sponsor you as long as you are on the general skills occupation list.

We too had 105 points as Gregs skills (metal polisher) are worth 60 points so with the extra 10 from sponsorship we have 115 in total.

Am sure you will hear anyday now - ours took 29 days but someone else at similar time got their reply in 10!!!

Lisa :D

Guest splmchandler

hi every body , visa have been granted, house is now sold, subject to contract :D fingers crossed we hope to be out in oz, (adeliade), before christmas!!!! thats the plan..its been along and sometimes very stressfull, but now that seems to be in the past. good luck to every body bye for now Steve and Lisa.

Guest paulocon

Many thanks for all your replies and support - I still think I must be the person with the longest wait so far (Currently into the 8th week now). Cant help thinking its gonna be bad news - I hate this!!!

Good luck to everyone who has had their visa's granted - bet you cant wait to get there. Out of interest has anyone who has had visa's granted, previously visited Adelaide for a holiday or to visit friends etc and if so what did they think off it???

Paul (still anxiously awaiting visa)

Hi paul,

We have never been to adelaide before so really dont know what to expect we are going in on a 136 visa, cameron is a joiner and if i remember rightly we had to wait ages for the skill assment, seems ages ago cameron kept ringing the agency up but we got it eventually,we left it too late to sell our house really!!![visas granted 17/01/06] We have friends who went over in september and i spoke to them the other day and they are loving it they talked about buying a property and doing it up and selling it to make money as he has not got a job yet,they said the people are great, the schools were great the weather was great driving was great [no cars on the road] all in all everything was great.I heaved a huge sigh of relief after speaking to her as i was getting quite nervous.We have just got skype on the computor and so have all my family so we can speak to each other for virtually nothing so that will help.

bye for now,Hayls :wink:

I recall that the SIR495 visa allows you to go to Queensland BUT there are restrictions where you can live ie its unlikely that you could live in Brisbane CBD.

We went to Brisbane, Gold Coast & Sydney in Apr 06 - luved it! We always thought we have enough for a PR visa but when it came to the SIR495 & the lifestyle/ med climate suited us with the kids.

If I am honest I think SA low growth & more house for your money appeals, you are not far from beaches & believe me Queensland is very humid - not sure I could stick it all year round! :oops: :oops:

I am sure you will receive sponsorship soon, I am waiting too its been 14 days tomorrow since it was received! (not that I'm counting!!)

Good luck

Angela

• 2 weeks later...
Hi catherin, grant and sam

Wil you be having turkey then or not, i hate it myself!

Well my girls are Charlotte 13 and Georgia 12 they are coming round to the idea its just the new school thing, Charlotte is quite shy and i do worry but we are going to adelaide, its taken us over 2 years.We are waiting to see if we have got the oaa so fingers crossed.Another thing that is worrying me is my younger sisters baby is due on the 28th dec as i fly on the 1st of jan!!!!!.

speak to u soon Hayls.

Enjoy that sun!!!

Sorry I haven't been on the site since my last posting. Not sure what we will have for Christmas dinner, but at least we are both off that day, hurray! Will probably have a walk on the beach instead of the usual - lying practically comatose on the couch having stuffed ourselves silly and watching the Christmas re-runs. I am sure the girls will settle into school well. Sam is a bit shy but had no problems integrating into the new system. He has made lots of friends, and in fact has a better social life than we do! I hope you get your OAA sorted out, we arranged a holiday apartment for 2 weeks and it was fine, bit expensive though, but we were on the North Esplanade at Glenelg. I hope all goes well with your sister's delivery and that you get to see the new arrival before you fly over. Good luck to you all and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Catherine.