Where to start!

Guest rorym

Hi all,

We are spending a week or so in Adelaide in October, but there is so much that we have to see and find out about in such a short time it's difficult to know where to start.

Our visa application has gone off, but I'm still very unsure about the big move. Rory (my husband) is very sure and so we are visiting Oz to make our final decision. Spending some time with relatives in Brisbane for a week before heading off to Adelaide for a recci.

Firstly, does anyone have any info on low cost, child friendly, self catering accommodation for a week or less?

Also, are there any areas we should avoid when looking around for schools/homes etc.

Do schools allow you to look around them even though your visa has not yet come through?

Any advice gratefully accepted

:)

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there RoryM

Where to start really ... any ideas about location in Adelaide you like? Always difficult to advise on areas to live/avoid because what is right for one family, may be hell for another.

Unsure whether schools will allow walk arounds when your visa is not through, but then if you don't tell them .... but then if you are unsure about areas, might it be better to wait before looking around schools? Or will the school be a deciding factor in the area you want to live ...

With regard to accommodation, we might be able to help - send us a PM.

Whatever you do, you all must be behind this move, so it is a good thing that you are coming out here for a look first. Very expensive move to make and then realise you did not really want to do it. My husband and I talked and talked about it but knew there had to be a better life out there ... and we love it. But neither of us could have done this if the other was not behind it 100%.

Good luck and keep on asking the questions - that's what this place is for.

Regs

SAS

:jiggy:

Guest dglamoore

When you get here just have a good drive around the areas, visit local malls for coffee etc to see what the general feel is like and see where you feel would be right for you and your family.

The schools would be only too glad for you to look around :v_SPIN:

This link may help with accommodation for your reccie - http://www.adelaidebound.com/accommodation.html

Have a good trip :D

I did a reccie back in May and although my focus was on finding a job i still made time for seeing the suburbs, city and attractions.

I didn't bother with seeing any schools as i still don't know where we'll finally settle.

Read up on the different suburbs and ask a few questions and then make a short list to visit. As many will tell you what area appeals to one may not appeal to others.

Check the local facilities like Malls, child care, parks, reserves and public transport.

I can certainly recommend a drive through the Barossa and up through the hills.

I really enjoyed the Gorge wildlife park and the Whispering wall Dam. A visit to Handorf and Glenelg is a must, and do try the beaches. Make sure you see the Central Market as well.

The drive thou Bottelo's (Off Licence) made me chuckle.

Just ask plenty of questions before you go to get the best itinery you can.

Paul.

Thanks for your advice. I guess we have a lot of work to do when we get there.

Will definately be heading out to the Barossa valley, it sounds lovely.

Just read about your job offer - conratulations!

regards Fiona

Guest graandjac

Hi Rorym, we were going to stay in a caravan park has everything we need central to all the suburbs we would like to visit and cost effective, there are loads to choose from. Cheers Graham

Hi Graham,

We've looked into that too. Were are you staying? It's so difficult to decide when you don't know the areas.

Cheers, Fiona

Hi Rorym, we were going to stay in a caravan park has everything we need central to all the suburbs we would like to visit and cost effective, there are loads to choose from. Cheers Graham