moving to Adelaide in march!!!!

Guest debslen

Guest debslen

Hi there everyone - hope the weather is good over there....it's pelting it down here again by the way!! :arghh:

My partner has been offered a job in SA so we... (myself (28) himself (30) and our 17month old daughter) are moving to SA in March - all very scary but so exciting....that's our visas granted, house sold so nothing stopping us now!!

Just wanted to chat to other folk that have made the move to see how they are finding it - missing home/family etc found it easy enough to settle, find work, make friends???

I'm Irish and living in Glasgow for the past 3 years, so I know that moving to a new place is what you make of it yourself, but because this move is so HUGE and so far away from home I'd just really love to chat to other people to see how things are going for them. it would also be great to possibly know some friendly faces when get there!!

Well looking forward to chatting to you!!

Cheers,

debs :)

Guest steph&neil

Hi welcome & well done - you will have a lot to do in the next few months! I have found this site invaluable for advice! no question is too sill ask,. I promise you so keep asking & you will get someone to help out with answers!

The weather here is good but don't be fooled into thinking it is hot all year round, we arrive on April 2nd 2008 & it is cold here in winter so take coats etc! also I know I keep saying it but there is little chance of getting a house with double glazing or central heating - so make sure you rent somewhere with heating (reverse cycle) as there are a lot of place without either - we are in a rental that said it had R/C & it doesnt only ac, so double check when viewing!

Good luck & the best advice I can give is ask when you are unsure! Steph x

Guest debslen

Thanks for that Steph!!

That's something I would never have even thought of...I'm always cold so that's good to know!!CH all the way - will also be sure to bring my thermals and hot water bottle just incase!!!

We're fairly organised with the move...house sold, all our stuff is being shipped as we speak- all we need to do is book our tickets and that'll be us...oh yes we also need to decide where to stay - we'll look into that more over the coming months, it all depends on where Chris (my other half) gets posted with his work.

So u guys are there well over a year now...u enjoying it? missing home? where is home by the way??

well thanks for ur info and hopefully chat to u again!

debs x

debs ,

hi wer from freezin Ayr @ mo , headin down under in March also , puttin house on the market 11th Jan then head ourselves , my wife is a nurse so have to see when they want her to start work , myself is a seaman so will find a ship somewhere in oz im sure of that . which airline are u flyin wth & what kid of prices u been getting , we,r thinkin bout singapore 4 a few days then do the remainder after a rest . we have twins who are 11 today there really excited to be moving down there to be beside there cousins , cant say the same bout there mum shes more apprehensive , but lifes too short to worry so lets go & enjoy .

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi, welcome to PIA. We are heading over 7th February. Getting really excited now, people keep asking if we nervous but we not really as long as we all together as our little family we will be fine. Looking forward to making some new friends ourselves once we get over there. What does your OH do? My OH has manged to secure a job which we chuffed about. We leaving our house up for sale. We just getting some shipping quotes in now and should hopefully have decided on one by next week.

All the best with your move.

Michelle

hi thnx 4 the reply my oh is a mental health ward sister over here , she has had a few hospitals wanting her services but we will take some time out before we start work , get school & house set up 1st then start . hope our house will sell real quick as others around us have , fingers crossed we will move soon after .

Guest Carolandcraig

good luck with the move, my wife is from killie ayrshire, obviously a scottish thing going here lol, were off at the end of jan so look forward to seeing everyone for a few cold ones.

Guest debslen
good luck with the move, my wife is from killie ayrshire, obviously a scottish thing going here lol, were off at the end of jan so look forward to seeing everyone for a few cold ones.

go on the Scotts!! :notworthy: hahaha I was looking at some earlier posts and someone was asking if anyone knew where they could purchase square sausages in Adelaide....and u can actually get them there - happy days!!

Best of luck with the move next month....please let us know how it goes!!

Happy crimbo!

Debs

Guest debslen
debs ,

hi wer from freezin Ayr @ mo , headin down under in March also , puttin house on the market 11th Jan then head ourselves , my wife is a nurse so have to see when they want her to start work , myself is a seaman so will find a ship somewhere in oz im sure of that . which airline are u flyin wth & what kid of prices u been getting , we,r thinkin bout singapore 4 a few days then do the remainder after a rest . we have twins who are 11 today there really excited to be moving down there to be beside there cousins , cant say the same bout there mum shes more apprehensive , but lifes too short to worry so lets go & enjoy .

we've only had a brief look at flights...for the 3 of us I think it's coming in at over 1200...which I don't think is too bad! There's a flight from Glasgow to London and then from London to Sydney...but that's around a 20hour flight, thinking that'll be too much for the baby - think Quantas and Imerates are the best....we are going to look into it properly now once I get back to Glasgow (over in Ireland visiting for a week) so will keep you posted.

Happy birthday to the twins (I'm a twin myself!!)

Re work, I'm sure neither of u will have any probs...so refreshing to hear of a Country that's not been effect so much by the recession!!

Chat soon!

Debs

Hi, welcome to PIA. We are heading over 7th February. Getting really excited now, people keep asking if we nervous but we not really as long as we all together as our little family we will be fine. Looking forward to making some new friends ourselves once we get over there. What does your OH do? My OH has manged to secure a job which we chuffed about. We leaving our house up for sale. We just getting some shipping quotes in now and should hopefully have decided on one by next week.

All the best with your move.

Michelle

Hi Michelle, (The Dimmocks)

We fly the day after you on the 8th February 2010, we got our furniture removed today, we were originally using Doree Bonner 142Cuft for £820, but at the last minute we changed our mind and went with Pickfords International Removals for 145Cuft for £750, they were brill and professional. you should consider this company. Oh! and by the way seen as you will arrive the day before us. I think we should meet up and share our first exciting experiences together, you can never have enough friends, especially I have none in Adelaide lol.

Same for Debs and Partner (Debslen), you have friends in us.

Guest The Dimmocks
Hi Michelle, (The Dimmocks)

We fly the day after you on the 8th February 2010, we got our furniture removed today, we were originally using Doree Bonner 142Cuft for £820, but at the last minute we changed our mind and went with Pickfords International Removals for 145Cuft for £750, they were brill and professional. you should consider this company. Oh! and by the way seen as you will arrive the day before us. I think we should meet up and share our first exciting experiences together, you can never have enough friends, especially I have none in Adelaide lol.

Same for Debs and Partner (Debslen), you have friends in us.

Hi

We have had Pickfords round, very nice man. Hubby is doing the haggling part, Pickfords have dropped their price. Think they keen for the business. Bet your house looks empty now your furniture gone. We aiming to have ours taken towards the end of January as having the little kids can't be without much for long.

It would be great to meet up at some point after our arrival, we have applied for OAA so hopefully will get that. We hoping to be around the Port Adelaide area as that is where Hubby got a job. Once we got wheels though we will be happy to travel around. Will have to find an internet cafe as not sure if OAA's has internet access. Do you have Facebook? I'm 'Michelle Dimmock' and picture is a of my daughter wearing her Piggy nose and ears look me up if you got it. That my biggest fear, making friends, we a friendly family :) so hopefully shouldn't have any problems and having small children who make friends easliy is great as you can make friends with their moms.

We looked at the 8th for flying but went for the Sunday as thought be less traffic travelling down to London. Be great to find someone on same flight that you can chat to.

All the best with your move and have a great Christmas.

Michelle

Hi

We have had Pickfords round, very nice man. Hubby is doing the haggling part, Pickfords have dropped their price. Think they keen for the business. Bet your house looks empty now your furniture gone. We aiming to have ours taken towards the end of January as having the little kids can't be without much for long.

It would be great to meet up at some point after our arrival, we have applied for OAA so hopefully will get that. We hoping to be around the Port Adelaide area as that is where Hubby got a job. Once we got wheels though we will be happy to travel around. Will have to find an internet cafe as not sure if OAA's has internet access. Do you have Facebook? I'm 'Michelle Dimmock' and picture is a of my daughter wearing her Piggy nose and ears look me up if you got it. That my biggest fear, making friends, we a friendly family :) so hopefully shouldn't have any problems and having small children who make friends easliy is great as you can make friends with their moms.

We looked at the 8th for flying but went for the Sunday as thought be less traffic travelling down to London. Be great to find someone on same flight that you can chat to.

All the best with your move and have a great Christmas.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Pickfords were the same with us. We got it £70 cheaper. We have also applied for AOA, but as you probably aware, you do not find out until at least 3 weeks before you fly out. I know its advisable to book other alternative accommodation as a back-up. We have decided not to do that as we cannot afford to lose the deposit if we do end up getting our AOA. So if we do not not gain AOA then its a mad couple of weeks to find accommodation.

I have added you to facebook, cute kids you have got. You would get on really well with my wife Jane, sorry but biased. Is Justin into foatotball as my son has been playing professional football and we have arranged to play 5 'A' side football in Adelaide on a Wednesday night with other members of this website. It's another way of us blokes to meet up with and hopefully gain mutual friends.

Jane has got a job on St Helens Ward, Calvary North Adelaide Hospital and starts on the 1st March 2010. I have have received two job offers already, but I have decided to go and look around both companies once I have arrived in Adelaide.

Keep in touch Michelle and Martin our new friends and i hope you have a good cheap Xmas.

Tony & Jane

Guest The Dimmocks
Hi Michelle,

Pickfords were the same with us. We got it £70 cheaper. We have also applied for AOA, but as you probably aware, you do not find out until at least 3 weeks before you fly out. I know its advisable to book other alternative accommodation as a back-up. We have decided not to do that as we cannot afford to lose the deposit if we do end up getting our AOA. So if we do not not gain AOA then its a mad couple of weeks to find accommodation.

I have added you to facebook, cute kids you have got. You would get on really well with my wife Jane, sorry but biased. Is Justin into foatotball as my son has been playing professional football and we have arranged to play 5 'A' side football in Adelaide on a Wednesday night with other members of this website. It's another way of us blokes to meet up with and hopefully gain mutual friends.

We have been looking at alternative accommodation but we going to leave booking it until we find out if we got OAA as well. Think it money down the drain if and I'm sure we will find something even if we have to book into a hotel for a few nights. Thanks for the compliment on kids, they may look cute (daddy would say they take after his side) but they can be monkeys when they want, but aren't all kids. Justin currently plays football on a Monday night, which he enjoys so will mention that to him sure he will be keen to keep it up.

Jane has got a job on St Helens Ward, Calvary North Adelaide Hospital and starts on the 1st March 2010. I have have received two job offers already, but I have decided to go and look around both companies once I have arrived in Adelaide.

Keep in touch Michelle and Martin our new friends and i hope you have a good cheap Xmas.

Tony & Jane

Hi Tony

We have been looking at alternative accommodation but we going to leave booking it until we find out if we got OAA as well. I'm sure we will find something even if we have to book into a hotel for a few nights. Thanks for the compliment on kids, they may look cute (daddy would say they take after his side) but they can be monkeys when they want, but aren't all kids. Justin currently plays football on a Monday night, which he enjoys so will mention that to him sure he will be keen to keep it up.

Ours is going to be cheap christmas as our presents to each are one way tickets to Australia :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Weird as both of our families are going through the same experiences and thought processors. Xmas hopefully is going to be a cheap one for us. We are probably a little bit luckier than you as my kids are all grown up -Shannojn being nearly 17 and Nathan nearly 21 - present have now been changed to alcohol and paid nights out lol. But we do have Charlotte who is 11 years old though.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sammy123

Hi there,

Hope u had a great last xmas. I heard the snow was great. Well i have been here for 6 wks now and just done xmas, It was a bit tough and i missed going to the west end and drinking cheap booze with my friends ( it is expensive here). Plus i miss my family lots and my mum for baby sitting i have i 11month old baby so thats quite hard. However on a lighter note the sunshine is great no more damp cold crappy weather that is sooooo depressing. I would advise u to bring lots of prada mark stuff clothes are expensive especially baby things and no more asda is a killer. Hope u enjoy ur last few months in glasgow. cheers

Hi guys just come here with a blank canvas..and a new set of crayons.

Sure it can be hard our here with some hurdles thrown your way but its all about how cope with the hurdles and stumbling blocks, we have had more s**t than we throw a stick at but we are still here picking ourselves up and dusting ourselves off.

Make friends fast, we have some truly awesome friends out here who really are a new family they share tears of joy and tears of sadness....without this new family i dunno where we would be....

Enjoy it, embrace it...sure its different from where you are com ing from but that what makes it what it is...

HG