New Arrivals

Guest steveandmichaela

Guest steveandmichaela

Hi,

We are new arrivals, only been here for 2 weeks. We are currently in OAA in Ingle Farm (not great), and are busy exploring all areas for somewhere to rent before our container arrives after Xmas.

Would be great to meet new people and share tips and advice of where to start!!!!

Hubby job hunting at the moment (electrical engineer).

Tom, 10 and Daniel 5 would love to make some new friends too, they're starting to drive each other mad!!!

Hope to hear from some friendly souls soon.

Michaela, Steve, Tom and Daniel.:)

Guest guest3462

Welcome to Adelaide! We are down in Aldinga Beach, which is a lovely suburb if you don't mind being a long way from the city. You'll find loads of great links and info from everyone on here, it was and still is a great help for us. We have 2 and 3 year old girls, so your boys would probably find their company a tad boring! (Barbie and Tinkerbell are favors of the moment!) But there are loads of families on here with boys their ages. Happy 'burb hunting!

Hope you have a lovely xmas

JC xxx

Hi,

We are new arrivals, only been here for 2 weeks. We are currently in OAA in Ingle Farm (not great), and are busy exploring all areas for somewhere to rent before our container arrives after Xmas.

Would be great to meet new people and share tips and advice of where to start!!!!

Tom, 10 and Daniel 5 would love to make some new friends too, they're starting to drive each other mad!!!

hi there, g'day..welcome to adelaide...we've been here for about 4 months now...and moved down south..just a piece of advise if your house hunting i recommend the southern suburbs....we were living up north..and it wasnt nice...but since we moved here at seaford meadows..loving evry bit of it!...we also wud luv to meet some new friends...thanks

Guest steveandmichaela
Welcome to Adelaide, its a little hard when you arrive so close to Christmas, but I am sure you will get lots of help and advice from the PIA folks - I have a 7 and 5 years old but have no idea where Ingle Farm is???

Lindsey

Many thanks for your reply, I wasn't expecting one so soon. Ingle Farm is in the north and is a bit grim, but its only for a few weeks. We know Seaford Rise as we have some old friends there and have spent the last couple of weekends with them, it is lovely. Would love to live in the south, but Steve has yet to find a job and a lot of the industry is up north, quite a long commute if thats the case. We'll just have to wait and see.

Enjoy xmas and hope to speak to you again.

Michaela

Guest steveandmichaela
Welcome to Adelaide! We are down in Aldinga Beach, which is a lovely suburb if you don't mind being a long way from the city. You'll find loads of great links and info from everyone on here, it was and still is a great help for us. We have 2 and 3 year old girls, so your boys would probably find their company a tad boring! (Barbie and Tinkerbell are favors of the moment!) But there are loads of families on here with boys their ages. Happy 'burb hunting!

Hope you have a lovely xmas

JC xxx

Hi, thanks for your reply. As we are new to this site, I'm still finding my way around, but I'm sure it wll be a great help. The southern suburbs do seem very appealing, do you have a long commute to work? Not sure how well Barbie and Tinkerbell would go down here, we're more in tune with Pokemom and action man, and of course anything that can be turned into a weapon!!!

Have a great xmas and hope to speak to you again.

Michaela

Guest steveandmichaela
hi there, g'day..welcome to adelaide...we've been here for about 4 months now...and moved down south..just a piece of advise if your house hunting i recommend the southern suburbs....we were living up north..and it wasnt nice...but since we moved here at seaford meadows..loving evry bit of it!...we also wud luv to meet some new friends...thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply, its good to hear from fellow newcomers. Seaford is lovely, we have stayed with some friends there the last couple of weekends (as our house is not very nice) and are heading back down there again this weekend and for xmas. hard to decide where to settle as no jobs yet, but I sense the south is calling!!!

Hope to speak again, have a great xmas.

Michaela

You're definitely right about jobs for your OH being this side of town, try checking out suburbs to the north east a little more - Athelstone, Dernancourt, Highbury, Hope Valley. Vista, Tea Tree Gully, Fairview Park, Wynn Vale, Golden Grove - there's a lot on offer and quite a few of us around these parts too - always happy to welcome a newcomer!

To the poster who said the north "isn't nice" well, all I can say is they obviously didn't look properly! OAA is supposed to be basic, and is just a starting point, don't let it colour your whole view of an area! If you end up living down south you may find your husbands job prospects suffer, as engineering is predominantly based towards the north. Use the OAA as it's intended, find a job for your OH, then worry about where to live. That's definitely the right order to do things in!!

Guest Bluenose
Check out the Adelaide Hills. Beautiful and only 1/2 hour from the city!!!!!

I can vouch for that...about 40mins for me though.....but I get the impression the new group of migrating Brits want to live near the ocean.....?

I've taken a punt that with global warming I'll have ocean front views in 25 years :biglaugh:

Cheers

J

Guest SA Great
You're definitely right about jobs for your OH being this side of town, try checking out suburbs to the north east a little more - Athelstone, Dernancourt, Highbury, Hope Valley. Vista, Tea Tree Gully, Fairview Park, Wynn Vale, Golden Grove - there's a lot on offer and quite a few of us around these parts too - always happy to welcome a newcomer!

To the poster who said the north "isn't nice" well, all I can say is they obviously didn't look properly! OAA is supposed to be basic, and is just a starting point, don't let it colour your whole view of an area! If you end up living down south you may find your husbands job prospects suffer, as engineering is predominantly based towards the north. Use the OAA as it's intended, find a job for your OH, then worry about where to live. That's definitely the right order to do things in!!

LOL As soon as I read that previous post I thought "OH GOD, Diane is gonna have something to say about that!!!"

LOL As soon as I read that previous post I thought "OH GOD, Diane is gonna have something to say about that!!!"

LOL I know, I know, I shouldn't rise to the bait but with an engineer as a husband who has spent most of the last year checking out the job market for engineers, and a friend closely involved in helping new migrants, talking to employers about what makes them consider or not consider an applicant, I kind of feel I do have some idea of what I'm talking about - and after all I'm an Essex girl who grew up with the whole of Essex being tarred with the "Sarfend" brush!

Guest SA Great

IMO I don't like the north BUT do like the North East. I think Highbury, Athelstone, Tea Tree Gully and up into Houghton are great places to live. I think of North as Gepps Cross up to Elizabeth and although Mawson Lakes is nicely laid out I don't particularly like many of the other suburbs. Having said that there are just as many bad places down south. We are at Flagstaff which is quite nice, I really like Coromandel Valley and up into Cherry Gardens but there are plenty of dodgy places in the South and the North. At the end of the day we shouldn't generalise about North or South and always remember that maybe it's all some people can afford.

And I have a friend from Sarrfend!!!

Hi,

Hi Michaela,Ste we live just down the road in modbury if u want to give us a call for a meet up give us a ring on 0420722070 Debbie + Neil could help u to find ur way round and help with settling in been there know how hard it can be.

Hi Michaela & Steve, we've also just arrived. 3 weeks tomorrow. Did I meet you last week at the SA Meet & Greet Presentation.

Moira

Hi,

hello and welcome to oz!!

we've been here 8 weeks now and started off in seaford rise and ended up in hallet cove now!

we'll stay in the south - but we drive north alot because we have lots of friends there - and there are some very nice areas too :)

jump in the car and drive around - only you can make the decision!!!

Guest SCOTTYSUKSA

Welcome to adelaide,

try the north eastern suburbs. We currently live in highbury and that is nice. It is close to the city and a good shopping centre. Best of luck picking where to live.

Helen scott

Hi,

Fingers crossed for you and your family.

Have a great time.

Guest A Udall

Welcome to Adelaide! Happy new year too! Great name too Michaela (my daughter shares the same name but spelt differently). You don't live too far from me, it's not all grim up north. My husbands job is in the NE suburbs so we had no choice to live here if he didn't want to travel too far to get to and from work. There are some beautiful areas up here so don't be put off. We have been in Adelaide for 2.5 years now and I can't believe where the time has gone! We have 2 girls 4 & 2 years old, so no fun for your boys!! There is sooo much for kids and families in SA.

Good luck

Aly;)

Guest Ledges

Hi,

You coming to the meet up at Kingston Park (Near Brighton Caravan Park) tomorrow ? My husband works as an engineer in Beverley in the North but we live in Hallett Cove. It takes him about 35 mins to get there which he thinks is OK...so don't let travel necessarily be your deciding issue.