Medical cover

Guest dglamoore

Guest Bex & Nick

We're going on an SIR 495 visa and we're trying to suss this out too.

There is a reciprocal health care agreement in place but this covers you for emergency treatment only. It would not cover you for elective surgery or non-emergency treatment. I'm not sure if this means unless you are rushed into A&E that you're not eligible? (does that last sentence make sense :?: )

Most health funds seem to have some sort of cover for "temporary" residents, see:

Healthy Travel cover at http://www.australianunity.com.au

Overseas Visitor cover at BUPA Australia http://www.mutualcommunity.com.au

BUPA Australia have said "With the information you have provided the Overseas Visitors cover is the most suitable cover for you until you become permanent residents. This is a combination of private hospital cover and medical cover to the same extent that residents receive via Medicare (ie all outpatient treatments are covered to 85% of the Government Schedule fee)."

There doesn't seem to be any provision, therefore, for covering the gap 15%. If anyone can clarify this that would be helpful!

One other thing to note is that "In relation to the lifetime health cover, you would not have a loading on the Overseas Visitors cover. If you become permanent residents, provided you take out one of our core hospital covers within 12 months of receiving full Medicare benefits, you would not have a lifetime health cover loading applied if you are above 30 years." From what I've read, if you join a private insurance scheme after the age of 30, there is a levy of 2% each year over the age of 30. However, if you're an immigrant over 30 and apply for it as soon as you get to Australia or within a certain period then the levy is not applied.

Blimey, its all v complicated. If anyone has taken out private insurance please let me know who with :D

Bex

Guest betty22

Hi All,

we have been here for nearly 2 years now on an SIR visa so I will try and explain the medical issues.

If you are from a Reciprical country you do get Medicare.

Ok so here goes Nick went to Docs (not Bulk Billed) paid $45 for the appointment and got $31 from the medicare. You can either go the medicare office to get your money or have a cheque sent to you.

I went to docs, paid my $45(had a cheque sent back for 431), but also had to have a scan, they got me in the next day. I paid $180 and got $90 back.

Cervical screening is FREE. (no appointment charge)

So its a bit of a semi private system. You pay up front then the medicare pays you back a percentage. We have also never had to wait days for appointments.

A+E or any surgery conected to accidents etc is FREE

Children are FREE even at a private Docs.

You can go to any Doc you want. ie Nick went to one near his work and then the next time he went to mine.

If you go to a BULK BILLED Docs you pay nothing.

When you arrive here just go along to the medicare office after about 10 days with your passports and fill in the forms. You get a temp number straightaway and then they send you your medicare card a few weeks later.

I wouldn't waste your money on Private healthcare. If you go to hospital the first thing they will ask you if you are public or private. If you are private you get the same treatment but then you get stung for the GAP as the private will only pay so much (very complicated and expensive)

DEFINATLEY get Ambulance cover $107 a year per family is well woth it for peace of mind. Thankfully never had to use it but know that you will get a bill of about $600 if you have to use it.

Hope I have explained it OK. If not ask and I will try again

Liz