broad band

diggerlcfc

Guest fuji70
is broad band readily available in adelaide and is there much to choose from thx Gary

Another Leicestonian....we're taking over Adelaide:biglaugh:

Yes it's readily available, not as much to choose from as the UK and it's more expensive, though there are phone/broadband deals around. The standard contract is 2 years which is a ballache if you only want it for a year.

Adam Internet seems to be very popular here (think it's a local operation). And as with just about everything in Aus, it takes a wee bit longer to get set up.

I use a 3 dongle as I can't commit to a 2 year contract. Works okay, but not as good as landline and it aint cheap.

Landline broadband would be the way to go if you can guarantee a 2 year stay. (There are options for a 1 year contract apparently, but they seem prohibitively expensive)

Blue Army!

Jo

Guest panther
Not all areas can get broadband (FACT)

One side of the street may be able to access it and the other not.

Make sure you know for sure before you decide where to stay.

Have a good read through this website to help you choose a carrier / ISP

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Your a right, there are some blackspots, including some current Telephone Numbers that cannot get Broad band, we are in the Brighton exchange and my home line does not have the capacity to get BroadBand , therefore i am required to have another Telephone Number specific for my Broadband line. This is regardless to the Carrier i choose to have.

The older Exchanges do not have the capacity to handle the load.

So when you move into a propery it is best to get a new Telephone number.

Panther

Short Term Fully Furnished Unit with Sea Views, close to all facilities

We use adam internet ADSL2 its mega fast and very very reliable...its an SA compnay that has been around for a few years.....i had it reccomended to me....and people i have reccomended have all said that it is very good....just cjeck where you want to live before hand...

also you may have to tie into a 2 yeasr contract but with ADAM you can take the service with you...should they not be able provide the exact service as before they will provide the best available....

Hope this helps somewhat...

HG

Guest fuji70
Your a right, there are some blackspots, including some current Telephone Numbers that cannot get Broad band, we are in the Brighton exchange and my home line does not have the capacity to get BroadBand , therefore i am required to have another Telephone Number specific for my Broadband line. This is regardless to the Carrier i choose to have.

The older Exchanges do not have the capacity to handle the load.

So when you move into a propery it is best to get a new Telephone number.

Panther

Welcome to Adelaide! :biglaugh:

My (bloody expensive) house doesn't have a phone point just loose wires that the owner "will get sorted asap". :SLEEP:

Guest k8bug79

Reading the above posts I can see broadband is a bit of a minefield. But presuming I get get broadband coverage where we end up is it generally reliable enough to make good quality SKYPE calls? We will be using this option to contact family a lot (hopefully) and when I speak to my daughters Grandmother from NZ to UK she always has to hang up and call on landline as the connection is so bad.

Reading the above posts I can see broadband is a bit of a minefield. But presuming I get get broadband coverage where we end up is it generally reliable enough to make good quality SKYPE calls? We will be using this option to contact family a lot (hopefully) and when I speak to my daughters Grandmother from NZ to UK she always has to hang up and call on landline as the connection is so bad.

I use a 3 plug in dongle as I have no landline box yet. I skype regularly and it's not as clear and fast as landline broadband but it's more than sufficient. Spoke to my mum for 30 mins last night and the only problem was trying to get a word in edgeways :biglaugh: