Intro from Ashearer....

Guest ashearer

Guest ashearer

Hi, Just to say hello and come upfront straight away and say that I'm not intending to live in ADL or surrounds but my son & his girlfriend will be moving there from UK in the near future, so we will be very likely to visit, probably this next year. Noting some of the posts above I came by this site through an accommodation ad link on another site.

I also lurked around the site a little before joining and picked up the tip for the stop over Transit Hotel at Singapore. Thanks. We've been that way to OZ before, during the Sars outbreak and stayed in the city.

What I'm immediately interested in if you don't mind me asking, is the quality of the fishing (any type) in the area and the scare stories I'm picking up about water shortage - salinity and the break down of the Murray Darling ecosystem. Please tell me that you can drink the water! And what is the typical ADL Christmas lunch like - the full turkey or a barbie?

Anyway seasons greetings to all who've made the journey from a very snowbound NE of England.

Hi, Just to say hello and come upfront straight away and say that I'm not intending to live in ADL or surrounds but my son & his girlfriend will be moving there from UK in the near future, so we will be very likely to visit, probably this next year. Noting some of the posts above I came by this site through an accommodation ad link on another site.

I also lurked around the site a little before joining and picked up the tip for the stop over Transit Hotel at Singapore. Thanks. We've been that way to OZ before, during the Sars outbreak and stayed in the city.

What I'm immediately interested in if you don't mind me asking, is the quality of the fishing (any type) in the area and the scare stories I'm picking up about water shortage - salinity and the break down of the Murray Darling ecosystem. Please tell me that you can drink the water! And what is the typical ADL Christmas lunch like - the full turkey or a barbie?

Anyway seasons greetings to all who've made the journey from a very snowbound NE of England.

Tyke's your man for fishing questions - he goes out on his boat regularly and it looks like he catches quite a few things! There is fishing in the Murray as well - only thing I know about that is if you catch a carp it's illegal to throw it back! Seen one or two fishing in the Torrens occasionally too - same thing re the carp.

As for drinking water, don't worry, you can drink water straight from the tap, perfectly healthy, just a lot of people have filter taps fitted to filter out the chloriney taste: we had a filter tap in the UK too though so no different to there. The main effect of the Murray-Darling water situation on us at the moment is that we are limited on how much we can water our gardens, but I think the Adelaide reservoirs were about 90% full last time I checked (may be a little less now) so no need to panic yet unless you live somewhere like Clayton Bay which is on Lake Alexandrina. Once the desalination plant has been built, SA will be less dependent on the Murray as our main water source (that's the hope anyway).

Finally Christmas lunch is whatever you want! This year we had the full roast turkey thing, as it was only in the mid 20's on Christmas Day, if it's hotter you might want cold meats and salads. The aussie thing tends to be seafood: lobster, prawns, oysters, if you like that sort of thing, or of course you can have a barbie - we always have a big barbecued breakfast/brunch on either christmas day or boxing day.

Seasons greetings to you and your family too!

Guest blindwatchertrev

Hello,

Wor lass and me flew in from the Toon fortnight ago, We're here for a year so if you fancy a beer when your here, giv us a shout! Trev and Ann.

Guest ashearer

Thanks for the info Diane. I've looked at the Torrens on Utube and they seem as if they're catching mainly catfish, pity about the carp though they'll grow well in the warm temperatures.

I'm sure we'll be visiting at Christmas time in 2010 so I'll be prepared for the culture shock. Prawns, lobster, oysters -- can't wait.

I was in ADL for a short time, 12 hours, in 1976 ( giving my age away) but we'd previously been in Port Lincoln for over a week taking on a cargo of grain. I couldn't help then thinking that the lifestyle was a lot better than our own then. I remember the glasses of prawns particularly.

As you say filtering tap water is the way to go, we also do it in UK.

Still snowy here -- enjoy the sunshine.

Guest ashearer

Thanks Trev & Ann

Not quite a real Geordie, SW Durham, but always liked the Toon, my son's in Heaton at the moment.

Divent wory marra arl gi ye a shout if we mack it ower.

All the best for the New Year

We hjad our 2nd Christmas here and we did it Aus style, Prawns ans Swuid for starters, then onto Salmon and salad bits for the main all washed done with lots of local Wine that the life.

We had turkey dinner last years and it just didnt seem right, althouigh we are going to be having christmas in July this year and will be booking a few days off work and having a full turkey dinner, just not going to be putting up the decs...lol

enjoy your time here

HG

Hello,

Wor lass and me flew in from the Toon fortnight ago, We're here for a year so if you fancy a beer when your here, giv us a shout! Trev and Ann.

Hi we live in Cramlington and fly out five weeks today. Trev and Ann youhave missed all the snow lol. We are happy to catch up with you on our arrival. I know a few on here from the NE region.

Guest ashearer
We haven't even got the plane yet and he's already planning his fishing trip!

Just getting the priorities reet bonny bairns. ;)

See you down there for Christmas.

There's only one ashearer:p