Emigrating 23rd March 2010

Ashby Dicko

Just wondered if any other famiies will be emigrating around the same time as us.

We would like to compare notes as to all the jobs that need doing before the big move, such as Bank account and P85 form, rental's, meet and greet etc...

And for the families out there do you have any suggestions?

We have a furnished holiday rental sorted in Henley for 3 weeks and are now looking for a long term in the same surrounding areas.

I am an electrician with an electricial mechanic ARTC qualification and would like some contacts PLEASE!!!

Hi, we have been in Adelaide for areound 3 months or so now. The first couple of weeks were a little manic, getting everything sorted. We opened our bank account before leaving the UK, so we just had to go into our branch once in Adelaide to get everything verified. The first thing to do when you arrive is to apply for your tax file number as without this you will pay a very high rate of tax once you start working. it is very simple to apply, we did ours on line and it came through around 20 days later. You can drive on your UK licence to begin with, but we were advised to get ours changed as soon as possible as we bought a car - again this was pretty straight forward.

We were in short term rental for 8 weeks but didn't have too much of a nightmare securing a longer term rental, although I would suggest waiting until you get here to begin looking as some photos do put the property in a more favourable light than the real thing, and of course, you can get a better grip on which areas you think you will like.

The thought of everything we had to do was far worse than actually doing it - we just made a list and slowly worked our way through it. Still finding out things now so think it will be a long learning process.

Hope all goes well with your move - you can always get in touch with people on here once you have arrived. I found it very useful and have picked up some good advice along the way.

Julie

Guest hel&sam

We're booked to go 24th March from Manchester singapore airlines. oooohhh very excited about writing that. we've a 4 week furnished rental booked in hallett cove then who knows, hopefully we can sort something out for seaford area after that. Sam is a mechanical engineer/fitter, he's just started looking for a job, i'm a radiographer but not looking til i get there, too sodding much else to do.

Helen. x

We're booked to go 24th March from Manchester singapore airlines. oooohhh very excited about writing that. we've a 4 week furnished rental booked in hallett cove then who knows, hopefully we can sort something out for seaford area after that. Sam is a mechanical engineer/fitter, he's just started looking for a job, i'm a radiographer but not looking til i get there, too sodding much else to do.

Helen. x

Hi Helen, I have just noticed that you fly out on the 24th March and was wondering if you have already done a reccie to validated your visas as they will be older than 1 year when you fly out!?:confused:

Guest hel&sam

yes we went over in october, mainly because i didnt think we would sell the house in time but as it happened we did. glad we went though, it gave us chance to make a decision on areas and whatnot and really get a good feel for the place, if i hadn't been already i'd be seriously questioning my decision right now but i know i'm doing the right thing. The only problem with having been already, singapore airlines wont give us 40kg baggage allowance, a small price to pay though.

Helen. x

yes we went over in october, mainly because i didnt think we would sell the house in time but as it happened we did. glad we went though, it gave us chance to make a decision on areas and whatnot and really get a good feel for the place, if i hadn't been already i'd be seriously questioning my decision right now but i know i'm doing the right thing. The only problem with having been already, singapore airlines wont give us 40kg baggage allowance, a small price to pay though.

Helen. x

After we posted the last message, I had a look at your profile and noticed you had done a reccie.(should have looked first!)

We are hoping to set ourselfs up west of the CBD, Because we live in the heart of england (the furthest point to any sea in the UK) just to be close to the beach (be it walking distance or very short drive) or just to have a sea veiw would have a real good feel factor.

Did you look all over or mainly south of the CBD?

We have also got to be careful with our baggage allowance, although we qualify for 40kg each, this is only valid to Melbourne where we had planned to drive the Great Ocean Road. With one thing and another (mainly money and being Very close to Easter, hotels fully booked no Family rooms etc..) we decided to get an internal flight to Adelaide Max allowance 23kg and have a further week in our holiday rental.

We will not be able to "check in" straight through to SA

We fly with Singapore on an A380 all the way to Melbourne, so dead chuffed with the flight, then Quantas on to Adelaide.

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi, we arrive in adelaide on the 31st of Jan already opend our bank account but secured a short term let and will worry about the rest when we get there. I see your from swadlincote, im from just the other side the A38, a little dive know as Kirkby (dont admit to that very often lol) but currently living in lincoln, got fed up with skeg so we thought we would try the beaches of adelaide instead.

Hope all goes well for you.

Guest hel&sam

thats nice just having a short hop at the end, which ever way you do it, its an awful long way but at least its only one way this time. we had a pretty good mooch all over to be honest, lots of factors to consider, money, schools, feel of the place, beaches etc. all taken together, we settled on seaford area as our first choice but there are lots of others i'd be quite happy with as well. neither of us have officey type jobs so living near CBD isnt an issue and i'd rather have a smallish mortgage and travel a bit anyway. Henley seems really nice, fab beach but the property seems quite a bit more expensive which ruled it out for me (unless theres a lottery win in the meantime):jiggy:

Helen.x

Guest soneill

Hello Ashby,

Good to see more rams fans making their way to Radelaide!

Ivesons Electrical are one of Adelaide's largest domestic Electrical contractors so they may be worth a try.

philliveson@ivesonselectrical.com.au

1300 361 363

They are hoping to build Ivesons into a national service company this year so they will prob at some point be looking for additional staff to support that growth strategy. I don't know Phil direrctly however but it may be worth an email to him to see if he's hiring. They have also launched a local tv advertisment campaign so perhaps ask if this has meant an uptake in jobs and therefore an increase demand for staff etc etc. If you want commercial work then perhaps look on google etc

Always happy to help fellow Derby supporters!!

I've live in North Brighton (12 K's south from Henley beach) and been here for 5 years. I used to live in the 5 lamps area near town (Kingston Street)

Let me know how you get on and I'll keep my ears peeled for other electrical contacts.

What do you think of our chances against Scunsthorpe tomorrow?

Cheers

Sam

Hello Ashby,

Good to see more rams fans making their way to Radelaide!

Ivesons Electrical are one of Adelaide's largest domestic Electrical contractors so they may be worth a try.

philliveson@ivesonselectrical.com.au

1300 361 363

They are hoping to build Ivesons into a national service company this year so they will prob at some point be looking for additional staff to support that growth strategy. I don't know Phil direrctly however but it may be worth an email to him to see if he's hiring. They have also launched a local tv advertisment campaign so perhaps ask if this has meant an uptake in jobs and therefore an increase demand for staff etc etc. If you want commercial work then perhaps look on google etc

Always happy to help fellow Derby supporters!!

I've live in North Brighton (12 K's south from Henley beach) and been here for 5 years. I used to live in the 5 lamps area near town (Kingston Street)

Let me know how you get on and I'll keep my ears peeled for other electrical contacts.

What do you think of our chances against Scunsthorpe tomorrow?

Cheers

Sam

Thanks Sam, for the electrical firm contact details, I've sent my resume off, just to test the water.

What line of work do you do?

To be honest Derby are shocking at the moment (well the last 3 seasons anyway with no sign of change) i didn't fancy predicting saturdays game but i would have thought better than that result, after that you would have expected to see cloughie sacked for that one.

Looks like it will be Adelaide United!!!

Guest soneill

heh Ashby,

Perhaps the FA cup will bring us some rams joy. (I love beating Millwall!). I'm a season ticket holder at Adelaide United and they are another team in desperate need of changes. Boy it's been a while since I've experienced any glory days. Thick and thin though!!

My line of work is in the training game. I have just finished a job as Sales manager with an IT firm as I'm going back to Uni after a 4 month honeymoon starting March. I have a few mates in the tradesman arena though. One of them pointed out that the Australian sparkies have a slightly diff qualification due to the voltages and appliances being different. Have you considered you may be asked to do further quals to get accreditation as an electrican here?