Let me introduce myself

Deanoandlesley

Hello everyone,

We've just received confirmation this week that our visa has been approved :).

My name is Dean and will be moving from Durham

to Adelaide with my fiance, Lesley , as soon as we get sorted, which will probably be quite a while yet.

We've been sponsored by the S.A. Government with my trade, a heating engineer, though I've been sponsored as a Mechanical and Air Conditioning Plumber. No such thing here in the UK but it's just the same (I hope!).

We were told our applications were shelved until the end of 2012 so it was completely out of the blue when our agent ( Jo Grist, highly recommended ) rang at 06:30 on Tuesday morning to tell us we'd been approved. So we're very excited and a little scared!

So really I just wanted to introduce ourselves to everyone in the hope that I'll be able pick your brains for help/advice on our big move, if you don't mind!

We've never been to Adelaide (never even been to Australia!) but we like the look of it, it seems to tick all the right boxes for us. But I've just booked flights to come over on the 19th of February. We're gonna spend three nights in Sydney and then head to Adelaide. If anyone could recommend some rental accommodation for a couple of weeks that would be great. I think we'd prefer to rent somewhere rather than stay in a hotel just to hopefully keep the cost down, I think we're gonna need every penny we can get for the move!

Also if there is any sort of get together going on in that time it would be great to meet some of you.

If anyone knows what the work situation will be like for me or even know of any companies who deal in my trade that would be great too. I tend to work on the commercial side of the industry, installing heating and air conditioning in schools, office blocks, hospitals, that kind of thing. I also install industrial pipework.

So, hello again!

Dean and Lesley

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Hi Dean and Lesley,

WE ARE SO JEALOUS !! We are waiting on our visas, but we were lucky enough to go out to adelaide and stay with friends in Aldinga, only after filming wanted down under, which is to be screened this weds at 10.00 on bbc 1, we stayed in Perth for the programme, it gave us a taste of life out there, we took a domestic flight to Adelaide, saw the city, went to Glenelg (the main streets) it is a lovely modern town centre, with bars and shops, we did not ventrue further than the town and sea front but we liked it none-the-less. Hope you enjoy your stay in Feb - March, my sister in law is in Sydney, she says Sydney is the London of Australia expensive and sought after but a nice place to be.

Let us know how you get on, raise a glass for us in Glenelg..

Take care

Tanya

Guest dean berridge
Hello everyone,

We've just received confirmation this week that our visa has been approved :).

My name is Dean and will be moving from Durham

to Adelaide with my fiance, Lesley , as soon as we get sorted, which will probably be quite a while yet.

We've been sponsored by the S.A. Government with my trade, a heating engineer, though I've been sponsored as a Mechanical and Air Conditioning Plumber. No such thing here in the UK but it's just the same (I hope!).

We were told our applications were shelved until the end of 2012 so it was completely out of the blue when our agent ( Jo Grist, highly recommended ) rang at 06:30 on Tuesday morning to tell us we'd been approved. So we're very excited and a little scared!

So really I just wanted to introduce ourselves to everyone in the hope that I'll be able pick your brains for help/advice on our big move, if you don't mind!

We've never been to Adelaide (never even been to Australia!) but we like the look of it, it seems to tick all the right boxes for us. But I've just booked flights to come over on the 19th of February. We're gonna spend three nights in Sydney and then head to Adelaide. If anyone could recommend some rental accommodation for a couple of weeks that would be great. I think we'd prefer to rent somewhere rather than stay in a hotel just to hopefully keep the cost down, I think we're gonna need every penny we can get for the move!

Also if there is any sort of get together going on in that time it would be great to meet some of you.

If anyone knows what the work situation will be like for me or even know of any companies who deal in my trade that would be great too. I tend to work on the commercial side of the industry, installing heating and air conditioning in schools, office blocks, hospitals, that kind of thing. I also install industrial pipework.

So, hello again!

Dean and Lesley

Hi Dean

Just like to say well done on your success. I've been to adelaide and it is absolutely brilliant we stopped with family at Seaford about 20-30 minutes away from adelaide. You'll be going in the summer season, nice. As i said we've just come back and are starting our visa now, who did you use? i thinking of using Thinking Australia. Any how hope you really enjoy like we did.

Dean

Ps first time i've used the thread reply hope i haven't done it wrong.

I'd probably look at getting something for a little longer than 2 weeks initially - you'll be cabbaged when you arrive and there's a load of stuff to do. It can take time to find a longer term rental and have a look around all the areas - particularly if you've not been to Oz before. You'll also be without all your stuff for around 60+ days if you're shipping it across in a container.

Fire away with questions on here - that's what we're here for.

Phil

Guest kangomik

Hey welcome to the forum, wow what a turn around.:arghh:

Make sure you get somewhere with really REALLY good air con:goofy:

Look into what you may have to resit when over here regarding qualifications;)

Enjoy the trip and buckle in for a nice ride. Comming from Durham you will be in for a big shock, slight temp change, different coloured grass, and deffinately a different accent!

Hi Phil,

We're only coming over for a recce and to get our passports stamped in February. Reallistically I don't think we'll be moving over until next year. We're hoping the housing market will pick up over here and hopefully the exchange rate will get better (fingers crossed on that one!).

We'll be in Adelaide on the 23rd of Feb, we're spending a couple of days in Sydney first. Only got 11 nights in Adelaide, would have liked to have stayed longer but I suspect we're gonna need all our pennies for the move! It'd be nice if we could meet some of the people from this forum while we're there, so let me know if you hear anything. Dean and Lesley

Guest Dan & Rach

Hi Dean and Lesley!

We arrive in Adelaide on the 27th February and have booked 4 weeks at The Esplanade Hotel in Brighton. We found this to be quite cheap compared to the rentals that are available. They have a website http://www.esplanadehotel.com.au/ if you are interested in investigating this further. I think it's fairly basic but conveniently located and should do the job nicely until we find a permanent rental.

Good Luck with the move and maybe we'll see you there!! :-)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so happy for you guys. We got the same news as you re 2012 and got an email from our agent this morning looking for additional info for our CO. So fingers crossed. But seeing your fiance's name is the same as mine I am hoping it is a good omen. Hopefully catch you in SA. We'll call you when our Air conditioning breaks! Happy packing. Les x