Worried about job prospects as a teacher

Guest Kelly&Mike

Guest Kelly&Mike

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt on a forum so please bear with me. I have spent a good deal of time ( there are perks to being snowed in ) browsing the site trying to answer as many of my own questions as I can. I have noticed quite a few worrying comments about the lack of job opportunities for teachers in Adelaide. We have just received our 175 visas and will look to move over by September 2010 if we can persuade somebody to but our house.

We visited in August 2008 and, despite the familiar weather ( not quite like Oldham but nearly ) we had a wonderful time for our 4 week stay in the West Lakes. I visited a school in Gawler and was even offered a job. Couldn't take it as we knew a long road lay ahead.

We would prefer to live within striking distance of the beach and have been impressed by people's opinions of hallett cove and seaford. Does anyone know if there is still a fair demand for secondary teachers in these areas? I teach maths in the UK which is usually quite sought after but I'm either hopeless at searching the Net for jobs or there are relatively few around. Would be willing to try alternative areas of employment but to be honest I have little or no experience of anything else.

P.s. Kelly, my better half and the kids Kathryn ( 3 in March ) and Jessica ( 6 months ) will doubtless drag me to the beach on a regular basis ( not exactly kicking and screaming ) but football ( soccer if you must ) is my other passion. Is there much scope for an average 35 year old to get a game anywhere?

Thanks in advance if you have read this post it means I didn't delete it this time!

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt on a forum so please bear with me. I have spent a good deal of time ( there are perks to being snowed in ) browsing the site trying to answer as many of my own questions as I can. I have noticed quite a few worrying comments about the lack of job opportunities for teachers in Adelaide. We have just received our 175 visas and will look to move over by September 2010 if we can persuade somebody to but our house.

We visited in August 2008 and, despite the familiar weather ( not quite like Oldham but nearly ) we had a wonderful time for our 4 week stay in the West Lakes. I visited a school in Gawler and was even offered a job. Couldn't take it as we knew a long road lay ahead.

We would prefer to live within striking distance of the beach and have been impressed by people's opinions of hallett cove and seaford. Does anyone know if there is still a fair demand for secondary teachers in these areas? I teach maths in the UK which is usually quite sought after but I'm either hopeless at searching the Net for jobs or there are relatively few around. Would be willing to try alternative areas of employment but to be honest I have little or no experience of anything else.

P.s. Kelly, my better half and the kids Kathryn ( 3 in March ) and Jessica ( 6 months ) will doubtless drag me to the beach on a regular basis ( not exactly kicking and screaming ) but football ( soccer if you must ) is my other passion. Is there much scope for an average 35 year old to get a game anywhere?

Thanks in advance if you have read this post it means I didn't delete it this time!

High school maths and male means you've good prospects. The job in Gawler, wasn't Trinity College was it?

What I will say is my experience and asking others here, others may say something different. The state system is very difficult to get a permanent job in unless you work rural for a few years first. There is supposed to be plenty of work through agencies though and it can be well paid - you may be offered Primary as well.

The independent sector has many faith schools and if you are a practising Christian, then it will help. Some schools, you have to be a practising Christian to apply - some of the application forms can contain four pages of faith questions. Not all schools are like that though and you will get a job.

Good luck,

Cooler

Guest Sallyanne

Getting a job is a state school can be more difficult in Adelaide than in the country. You may need to do some TRT work (Supply) then a school will see what you are like, then you are more likely to pick up a contract. If you were prepared to move to the country you will have a job tomorrow! You are more likely to get a job in some of the less desirable areas. I am Australian, from Adelaide and grew up in the Northern suburbs which people say are rough but from my experience of teaching out there, they are not actually that bad, I've taught in a lot worse schools in the UK!

Have a look at

www.teachinginsa.sa.edu.au/jobsearch

www.adelaide.catholic.org.au

www.teachers.on.net

Hope this helps.

Guest bugbabe

Hi!

I teach secondary English - I have had the same concerns but I am going with a very positive and open mind. I know of quite a few teachers who have found work quite quickly and then others who have struggled. I think its just a combination of tenacity and luck. Something is bound to come along, and I dont mind travelling; the DECS wont let teachers communte more that 45k apparently, but thats quite a way! I have a friend here in the UK (primary) who applied for 48 jobs! Even she found something in the end...

You wont find many jobs advertised mow as they are in the middle of their end of year break. I think 'think 'that jobs come out around May and June.

Think I will probably do supply for a few terms to get me used to the school system and make a few contacts. I think if you go the extra mile and muck in you will become well respected and remembered (same as here really) and something will probably come of that.

Good luck with everything! Might see you on the beach one weekend ;)

If you can teach maths up to Year 12 then you shouldn't have a problem.

While there doesn't appear to be many vacancies in public schools at the moment that is misleading. I teach at a school where there are 4 full time senior maths vacancies and NONE of them have been advertised yet.

Principals prefer to hold off informing DECS of vacancies until the start of the school year because then it becomes a priority placement issue where the principal can appoint someone of their choice, instead of having to go through the normal time-consuming placement process.

Guest Kelly&Mike
Hi!

I teach secondary English - I have had the same concerns but I am going with a very positive and open mind. I know of quite a few teachers who have found work quite quickly and then others who have struggled. I think its just a combination of tenacity and luck. Something is bound to come along, and I dont mind travelling; the DECS wont let teachers communte more that 45k apparently, but thats quite a way! I have a friend here in the UK (primary) who applied for 48 jobs! Even she found something in the end...

You wont find many jobs advertised mow as they are in the middle of their end of year break. I think 'think 'that jobs come out around May and June.

Think I will probably do supply for a few terms to get me used to the school system and make a few contacts. I think if you go the extra mile and muck in you will become well respected and remembered (same as here really) and something will probably come of that.

Good luck with everything! Might see you on the beach one weekend ;)

Will certainly keep an eye out during those months, thanks. Likely to do some supply myself if I can. Our girls are not ready for school yet so going to a few schools will also let me do some research for them. good luck with your next stage, fingers crossed for you all.

The job was for Trinity. Does it have a decent reputation?

Yes, only heard excellent things about it. It's and indie but that take many with School Cards etc. It has it's own swimming pool and sports complex.

The heat up there maybe an issue - were in the South of Adeliade which can be 3/5 degrees cooler than Gawler!

Cooler

The heat up there maybe an issue - were in the South of Adeliade which can be 3/5 degrees cooler than Gawler!

Cooler

But you'd be glad of that in the winter months! And after all, you could always go on nice long holidays (to the south if you wish) in the summer!!!

But you'd be glad of that in the winter months! And after all, you could always go on nice long holidays (to the south if you wish) in the summer!!!

Hmm, you could be right. We stayed in Woodcroft in October when we first landed and it was freezing!

We had a look around Gawler and the on the spur of the moment decided to visit Victor Harbor the same day. Blimey, it was cooler there and when I mentioned it to someone there, they said "it's always freezing here".

Cheers,

Cooler

• 2 years later...
Guest Amy Denyer

Hi there

I am an English Teacher who is moving through the visa process at the moment. I just wondered how you are getting on Bugbabe and whether you could give me any advice on where to apply or look for work? I am second in department, head of KS3, G&T Coordinator and a PGCE mentor so feel I have a bit of experience but worried I won't get anything!!

Amy x

• 4 months later...
Guest Amy Denyer

Hi there. I am just going through the visa process and I am an English teacher. How are you finding it all in terms of job prospects, curriculum and the kids themselves? Better or worse than in the UK? I keep panicking about the job situation which is making the whole process rather stressful as I am scared I am making the wrong decision! :)

Guest cazzie

Hello Amy,

I have PMd you. It is scary for all of us when we first come out, but if you have a PGCE qualification you will be accepted without fuss. You will need to register with the TRB and once you have registered, you can then look for jobs. I think the quickest way to get a job might be to register with either Switch or Randstad agencies and in the meantime, get your CV out to the local schools in the area which you live. It is also good to opt for primary schools with the agencies too to build up your reputation and gain the experience.

I feel that it is no better or worse than the UK. There are some really rough schools in the UK with behaviour issues as well as here and equally, there are outstanding schools in both. In the school I work, it is rough and ready but they are trying hard to change it by using observations - which happen so rarely in this school - and implementing a 4 part structured lesson. It seems very casual to me - I have not yet seen a scheme of work, they seem to make it up as they go along! However, that does not mean that the kids are not taught well - I think they probably are as by Year 12, they have to work damn hard to get their SACE qualification and even the school I am at gets really good results. Up to Year 11, it is much more relaxed - they seem to focus more on the students whole life experience rather than rigorous and structured education. So swings and roundabouts really but I really enjoy teaching English in Australia and find it a bit of a trial when I return to the UK and teach there as the standard (or the hoops we have to jump through) are much stricter and I have to get back into that mode of teaching again and lots of observations etc.

Do as much research as you can, log onto each individual school, get the names of the people you need to contact for TRT work and if you are in the south near Hallett Cove, I can help you with names and recommend you to them too :)

Edited by cazzie