Partner has a job, i'm coming over knowing nobody!

Guest Amanda2010

Guest Amanda2010

Hello all,

So, we've done it, we're coming over! Just waiting for the stamp in the passports now. The house is rented out, all my furniture is now being used by someone else (that was hard) BUT it's for a very good reason, we're moving to Adelaide... which will hopefully beat London hands down.

I'm originally from Liverpool but now have a soft Southport type accent due to being daan Saaf too long. My fella is a Southener through and through. We have a little boy who will be 1 year old on the 27th march, and we're all looking forward to coming over.

I'm a little nervous because I've no idea where to start on the job hunting. I am sure friends will be easy to meet, it's just the first few weeks I'm nervous about, not knowing anyone and being on the other side of the world!

Another things I need to sort soon is where we live, has anyone got any ideas for us? We're thinking somewhere around the Marino / Flagstaff Hill areas? Any advice would be most welcome.

Amanda, Mark and Charlie. (and Brandy our loved Spaniel if she is not too expensive to bring over!)

Congraulations hopefully you will love it. Won't go into too much details just yet but if you have any questions just ask we are all very helpful.

Once you get here pop a post and people will meet you I am sure.

We had a short term rental in Woodcroft and now in Sheidow Park and love the south of the city. Flagstaff hill is nice but best to look for yourself.

Michelle

Guest scmercer

Hi Amanda

I am also from Liverpool, we lived in Crosby up until arriving here in August. Havent been to Flagstaff but Marino is really nice, especially if you want to be near the beach.

Hope your move goes OK and good luck with everthing.

Sheila

Hi Amanda

We had no friends, family, jobs or anything. We now have some great friends (you know who you are!!) from this site. We still dont have jobs but having a great time with the kids. Just put a post on here when you get here and all the mom's will invite you to the fort, play and fun etc. We get invited and are kids are 18,15 and 11. Everyone has been in the same boat so everyone paddles with and for you. I love it here and the hugs when you need them are freely given!! No strings attached.

So dont worry you will be fine. And whilst I'm waffling thanks again to everyone's support from off here (and you Fred). Keep it up guys.

Love Janine and Co xx

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi Amanda, welcome to PIA, I like yourself will be moving to Adelaide in approx two weeks knowing no one, wife will be the breadwinner, so i hope these coffee/kids get together are stretched to dads as well lol.

Craig.

Hello, We to will hopefully be coming over not knowing anyone no freinds no family just the 4 of us. I see this in a way as an advantage as there is no one to tell us what to do, how things should be done, we can just find our own feet and ask questions when we want. Also not knowing anybody will make you get out and meet new people which i belive will help you settle quicker. Im sure you will be fine.

Good luck.

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi

We off in 4 weeks, we don't know anyone either and have never been to Australia before. Have made friends with people though PIA and hope to meet them when we arrive.

All the best with your move.

Michelle

Guest Dan & Rach

Hi Amanda

Congratulations on deciding to make the move to Adelaide!!

We will also be arriving in Adelaide in 6 weeks and will be hoping to meet people through the PIA meet ups.

Good Luck with the move and keep us posted on your arrival date!

Rachel and Dan

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Congratulations on going over, there seems to be quite a few of you landing at around the same time, the PIA peeps are going to be busy lol. My husband is a scouser and i am an 'essex girl' originally :), we live in Liverpool at present. We have been to Perth and Adelaide, the people we met were all very nice, so I do not think making firends will be hard at all, just go out there and do it with a PMA (positive mental attitude). As we are still in the UK, I research things by using google.com.au, to look at housing, and jobs sites, I have also read a lot of useful information on here.

You will be fine

Thank you PIA

I am looking forward to meeting so many of you when we finally get sorted.

Safe journey

Tanya, John, Callum, and Owen

Ohh just plonked myself infront of the TV to watch WDU whilst it snows outside!

Due out later this year, not a scouser but from the Wirral (save the comments please)!!!

Welcome Amanda, et al................

Like you, im a scouser, hence the tag! Like you, not got a real scouse accent anymore, and like you moved to Adelaide not knowing a soul; but hey...................

You'll be fine, love, if you managed sarn saarf, then you'll have no worries here, lol.

Drumms, there nothing wrong with the Wirral, lived in New Brighton for years, didnt do me any harm, twitch, twitch,lol.

Good Luck with the move!

Jane

Guest kangomik

Wifes a scouser, ahh well sleep with one eye open. We arrived with no job, no mates, never been before and only got OAA days before arriving. Don't worry about it, your comming to a friendly place where even the shop assistant will help you out.

Enjoy the adventure, and take time to relax and adjust once you arrive.

Guest Peachie

Hi

we have been here 8 weeks and only getting around to being more social as not stopped for breath as very busy with looking at areas then rentals then furniture and so many schools

we are in the western suurbs as easy for work (oh hates the traffic lights every few yards makes commuting very dull) so we moved close to work hope you find somewhere you like and good luck

Guest Mrs Brentus

Hi, we came to Adelaide in September 09, with no family out here and just hubby having a job.

We love it. I got a job really quickly off seek.com.

You will be fine, make the most of things and always ask.

Sarah

Guest mayjess

Hi, and I am also a fellow scouser (still have accent as im bk living in Liverpool), going back to live in adelaide in nxt mth or 2 for 2nd time, hopfully for good this time!!!! were getting like Gypos lol

Good Luck with it all, most of us go with no job to go to & no mates / families there.

Mayjess

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SaraLouiseSaunders

Hi Amanda - we've been here since the start of december and I've still yet to find work but I've registered with some agencies and have had some interviews through them but also had interviews through direct applications. I was offered a job on Monday but it was too far to travel and that's not what I'm here for. If you let me know what you're looking for I'll see if any of my agencies will be of any help and can give you their details.

You'll love it here. We hadn't been before and sites like PIA will open doors up for you to make friends and network.

Sara

Guest karen@bella

Hi me and my husband are in the same boat,were comming to adelaide in aug with our dog bella. we have never been to aus b4 but are really excited about the move:jiggy:were just trying to sell our house at the mo. but comming in aug regardless!!(yay)!! had a few shipping companies around to give us quotes,so it feels real now.

just want to get on the plan and leave this cold country behind.

weve been looking for areas to live and its all really confusing as everywere looks so nice.

cant wait to meet people and have a good party.:)

Guest angiestaff
Hi me and my husband are in the same boat,were comming to adelaide in aug with our dog bella. we have never been to aus b4 but are really excited about the move:jiggy:were just trying to sell our house at the mo. but comming in aug regardless!!(yay)!! had a few shipping companies around to give us quotes,so it feels real now.

just want to get on the plan and leave this cold country behind.

weve been looking for areas to live and its all really confusing as everywere looks so nice.

cant wait to meet people and have a good party.:)

well done for ur positive attitude, i know from experience it's hard when ur trying to sell ur house and all the stress that comes with it

i have no doubt that you'll love it here, and hopefully you'll meet up with people from this site (me included! :D) and have that party that ur waiting for!

good luck with the next few months, ange x

Guest aussiewannabee

hi i too was from liverpool but lived in warrington for over ten years before we moved to adelaide, would love to meet up with anyone interested when you arrive we have been here for 15 months now and are really settled good luck to you all.