Blackpool to Worthing to Adelaide...

Guest southdowns

Guest southdowns

Hello Everyone,

Nice forum! I thought "poms" were an endangered species in Adelaide! :P

Arrived early Dec on tourist visa(!) ...Now got a job offer (Melbourne!) and got a sponsored 457 Visa application underway. Girlfriend here is Aussie - so it was come to Oz or you come to UK sort-of-thingy!

Currently living in Payneham suburb and already got to pay $1200.00 in speeding fines here! Those speed camera's at traffic lights! Arghhh..no graduation markings on the road (as per UK) ... "Welcome to Australia" LoL :nah:

Regards

Patrick

(Blackpool FC supporter!!!)

Guest Team 'W'

ye welcome hunny...

yes the lights have a lot to be desired..its a case of do i stop or do i go now...well put it this way i am supprised theres not more accidents on the rds here..

i had a near miss just a couple of weeks ago the lights changed to amber an i slowed down but the car behind me had other ideas and had to swearve to avoid hittin me up the jacksy ,needless to say i didnt look at him but the big black cloud above my head was filled with the worst language i could think ov...

just think if in doubt DONT... an you'll be fine..

anyway great news of the job offer hope all works out well for you both..x

Currently living in Payneham suburb and already got to pay $1200.00 in speeding fines here! Those speed camera's at traffic lights! Arghhh..no graduation markings on the road (as per UK) ... "Welcome to Australia" LoL :nah:

Regards

Patrick

I reckon that could be a record lol

Hello Everyone,

Arrived early Dec on tourist visa(!) ...Now got a job offer (Melbourne!) and got a sponsored 457 Visa application underway. Girlfriend here is Aussie - so it was come to Oz or you come to UK sort-of-thingy!

Regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

sorry about your speeding fines (get a satnav) and sorry my team knocked you out of the FA Cup!

Good luck,

Cooler

Hello Everyone,

Regards

Patrick

Unlucky on the speeding fine front mate....but if you do the speed then you have to take the fine, i got busted twice within 2 weeks of each other withing 3 weeks of starting my new job...

what you have to watch is the demerit points mate...get to 12 lose your licence...

Enjoy your stay with and play nice....

HG

Guest southdowns
I'm from Worthing!

Hey! Yes I've lived in Worthing since 1989(!)

Initially came to the town to work at "Link Miles" (Flight Simulation) on Churchill Ind. Estate (Lancing) in 1989.

I've been living in Worthing 20 years (89-09) before coming to Adelaide.

I've rented out my apartment which is right in the centre (Park Road) near Worthing Hospital, overlooking Homefield Park.

Patrick/

Guest southdowns
Hi Patrick,

sorry about your speeding fines (get a satnav) and sorry my team knocked you out of the FA Cup!

Good luck,

Cooler

Oh Cooler - You Tractor Boy! I think we were a little unlucky with getting BOTH of our centre halves red-carded! :mad:

But Ian Holloway is doing a fine job on a shoestring there. My mate's a season ticket holder up there, so I get all the gossip from the fans.

Yeah, I've bought a sat-nav now! Grrrrr... The problem is my girlfriends car is a company car. Which is great as anyone 30+ is insured to drive. However, it's BAD if you get a speeding fine. The normal $300 fine is doubled(!) for Corporate cars. Luckily no "demerit" points. Ha - can I get those on my UK License? :P

Patrick/

Oh Cooler - You Tractor Boy! I think we were a little unlucky with getting BOTH of our centre halves red-carded! :mad:

But Ian Holloway is doing a fine job on a shoestring there. My mate's a season ticket holder up there, so I get all the gossip from the fans.

Yeah, I've bought a sat-nav now! Grrrrr... The problem is my girlfriends car is a company car. Which is great as anyone 30+ is insured to drive. However, it's BAD if you get a speeding fine. The normal $300 fine is doubled(!) for Corporate cars. Luckily no "demerit" points. Ha - can I get those on my UK License? :P

Patrick/

Two players ssent off and double fine - that is a double whammy!

Holloway, love him, bonkers but football through and through and probably more funny quotes than Brian Clough.

"He's six foot something, fit as a flea, good looking - he's got to have something wrong with him. Hopefully he's hung like a hamster - That would make us all feel better. Having said that, me missus has got a pet hamster at home, and his cock's massive." - talking about Christiano Roanaldo

Cooler

Guest southdowns
Two players ssent off and double fine - that is a double whammy!

Holloway, love him, bonkers but football through and through and probably more funny quotes than Brian Clough.

"He's six foot something, fit as a flea, good looking - he's got to have something wrong with him. Hopefully he's hung like a hamster - That would make us all feel better. Having said that, me missus has got a pet hamster at home, and his cock's massive." - talking about Christiano Roanaldo

Cooler

:biglaugh:

He's a real character - mad as a box of frogs, yep. He's got us playing decent footie and we're seventh when at the start of the season we were the bookies favourites to go down.

The game would be a poorer place without managers like Ian Holloway.

Respect. :notworthy:

Patrick/

Hey! Yes I've lived in Worthing since 1989(!)

Initially came to the town to work at "Link Miles" (Flight Simulation) on Churchill Ind. Estate (Lancing) in 1989.

I've been living in Worthing 20 years (89-09) before coming to Adelaide.

I've rented out my apartment which is right in the centre (Park Road) near Worthing Hospital, overlooking Homefield Park.

Patrick/

MMMMMMMMM small world! ....... you may know my old neighbour from Littlehampton (also ex Blackpool too!!!) .... he installs flight sims all over the world, and he used to work for Link Miles, but now works for a commpany in Crawley (could it be Thomson?). His son works there too now. His name is Graeme.

I lived in Durrington from 1966 to 1982, then moved to Littlehampton 82 - 91 .... and then Adelaide in 1991. Hubby is from Bognor.

Sharon

Guest southdowns
MMMMMMMMM small world! ....... you may know my old neighbour from Littlehampton (also ex Blackpool too!!!) .... he installs flight sims all over the world, and he used to work for Link Miles, but now works for a commpany in Crawley (could it be Thomson?). His son works there too now. His name is Graeme.

I lived in Durrington from 1966 to 1982, then moved to Littlehampton 82 - 91 .... and then Adelaide in 1991. Hubby is from Bognor.

Sharon

Yes, Link-Miles got taken over by the french giant, "Thomson-CSF" whilst I was working for them. I got relocated and lived/worked 6 months in Paris for the new owners. Now they are now called, "Thales" and are indeed based in Crawley. I left good friends in Worthing (and Lancing) most living around Thomas A'Beckett and High Salvington. Small world indeed ;)

Patrick/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest southdowns
Hi Patrick,

We lived in Lytham St Annes before coming to Adelaide nearly 11 years ago! I went to school in Blackpool. Hope you enjoy it here.

All the best,

Jane

Hi Jane,

Yep, I was born in St.Annes but lived in south shore. Went to Roseacre and Highfield school, then Collegiate Sixth Form before departing at 18 to the "sarf" to study. ;)

Guest juleznscott

Hi me and my boyfriend are also Blackpoolians hoping to make the move to Adelaide. We both grew up in Bispham going to Montgomery. Its going to be quite a while before we can make the move, possibly 3-4 years as BF is currently studying a degree as an Engineer and will need some work experience before we can get over there. Im also hoping to qualify as a financial advisor over here and have 12 months experience before moving even though I know Ill have to sit another Diploma in finance once Im over there...

Just wanted to say hello anyway, nice to here from others that have escaped Blackpool too!

Guest southdowns
Hi me and my boyfriend are also Blackpoolians hoping to make the move to Adelaide. We both grew up in Bispham going to Montgomery. Its going to be quite a while before we can make the move, possibly 3-4 years as BF is currently studying a degree as an Engineer and will need some work experience before we can get over there. Im also hoping to qualify as a financial advisor over here and have 12 months experience before moving even though I know Ill have to sit another Diploma in finance once Im over there...

Just wanted to say hello anyway, nice to here from others that have escaped Blackpool too!

Ah, Bispham - I remember, 'Red Bank Road' well - had relations who lived off that road. You both seem to have a good plan of action to get here...so you'll be fine. Good to hear from the Fylde. I'm still an avid Blackpool FC fan - which is sometimes a bit of a millstone around my neck(!) :(

I was at the little school next to the Collegiate Grammar for 7 years! They tell me that if I'd stayed, they'd have sent me "over the fence" for some subjects. Another girl in my class left to go to Highfield.

Hope you like Adelaide as much as I do.:v_SPIN:

Guest southdowns

Yep, I remember having to get the school bus from South Shore for TWO years all the way to Collegiate 6th Form in order to do my A-Levels! That was grim - esp. winter mornings! I'd leave the house (we lived behind Arnold School / Lytham Rd - but my parents couldn't afford to send me there!) muttering under my breath that I'd get some A-Levels if it killed me. I managed to go on and do a computer science degree in London, but I always think back to those days at Collegiate with a char-grin.

I like Adelaide - been here since 30th Nov 09, but unfortunately I will be leaving it soon for the bright lights of Melbourne; as there is no real IT industry here and it's all located in Melbourne (or Sydney).

• 2 weeks later...

Arnold was expensive and still is, but a lot of people did well at the Collegiate. Sorry you have to leave Adelaide for Melbourne. According to Hubby the job situation is better there, but the air certainly isn't. Take care.