How are Aussies reacting to influx of Brits?

Guest rorym

Hi everyone,

Probably a bit of a political one this.

We have been reading recently about the hugh amounts of Brits moving to OZ and I was wondering how the locals are reacting to this influx? Has aanyone had any negative reactions from their neighbours or collegues? Is it easy to make friends with Aussies or do you stick with fellow brits?

Fitting into our new community would be very important to us if we do get the visa and eventually move, so it's important that we will be accepted by all.

Many thanks

Fiona

In my numerous visits to Australia, I have never met anybody with negative vibes about immigrants.

I actually have made very good friends with 2 separate families of Aussies, one in Adelaide and one in Perth, and we spend time visiting one another's homes.

The other point is that the only natural Aussies are Aboriginals as all of the others have arrived from various points around the globe at some point in the past, so maybe this is what makes them very understanding and friendly.

The only point I would make is, if you are friendly to the Aussies, they will want to be friendly with you, its a matter of ATTITUDE.

Guest graandjac

Great question Fiona, we were thinking the same ,i just hope that most of the brits making the jump are the type of open minded people who make the effort to fit in to the aussie way and not impose our way on them, after all its not just the politics in the uk we are trying to escape from....?!?! Cheere Graham

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Our way of life is about the same as oz way. As long as you speak english and dont sponge and work there are no problems. I think it is easier to make friends with aussies if you have small children (on account on being in the school playground, and your children being asked to their friends houses) when your kids are older it is harder.

I have only met 1 aussie that says "pom" in what I would call a not nice way, my husband has met only 1 too Being called a "pom" does not bother me but the way it is said sometimes does....ie Koshie on Sunrise, when the poms are losing cricket!!!!

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas

In our experience they are a great bunch of people to get on with, we have without doubt got many more Australian friends than British, although we do not select our friends on their nationallity.On a whole they are proud of Adelaide and Australia and like the fact you decided to live in their part of the world.

A lot of Brits seem to gather together and this is probably down to human nature(being out of your comfort zone etc).

On a whole get out there meet these people, have a positive attitude and embrace the people, country and culture.

Oh and no whinging;)

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest Guest75

I agree with all said above.

Aussies are very accepting of us indeed.In 7 years here I've only really had one bad instance from a drunk.

A lot think we are quite brave and even a little mad moving here.A lot of Aussies don't really appreciate how wonderful their country is - I suppose they think the same of us and the UK.

I like Aussies and have some really good Aussie mates,some of them very unassuming as well.I've just found out that one friend will be turning over $300 million in his business next year - not many visual clues I can tell you!!!

I think there is a little undercurrent of resentment regarding the arrival of cash rich Poms driving house prices up and splashing it around.Have to see on that one.;);)

Guest dglamoore

I think as long as you leave the 'materialistic' attitudes behind that are so common in UK then Aussies take you for what you are :D

We have lovely aussie neighbours that are extremely friendly and never ask what make your car is, how old, if you own or rent your home etc.

There can however be a small negative attitude and we have been told on one occassion 'why would we give the jobs to you when we can give them to an aussie bloke' when setting up the business but a lot of us have seen first hand the 'migrant' attitude in uk so guess you cannot really expect it to be hugely different here with some people. :nah:

On the whole aussies are extremely friendly and accepting - something that cannot be said for some of the brits we have met along the way unfortunately but thats life :v_SPIN:

Lisa :wubclub:

Could not agree more Graham, when in Roma and all that.:idea: We (all us poms) need need to make a consious effort when we get there to keep their society the way it is and not turn it in to mayhem. E.g public bbqs not been nicked, we watched a member of the public deliver half a postmans round because he was late things like that ! Thats what im going for nice things that dont cost money, and the weather lol :D

Guest graandjac

Agreed Bim , its the future for our kids here that worries me and how infulenced they might be by all the nasty stuff going on around them, things that as parents we have no control over. We have never looked forward to anything more in our lives. Cheers Graham & Jacqui

Thanks to you all for your replies. It is encouraging to know that there is little animosity to the growing number of Poms in residence. You have all been very helpful.

Cheers, Fiona and Rory

Guest dale_jo@

Come On Down You Poms!!!

We Love You And Love The Fact That You Love Our Country!!

My Folks Came Out Here 38 Yrs Ago For Probably The Same Reason All Of You Have 'a Better Life' So Who In There Right Mind Could Knock That!!!!!!!

Welcome To Australia I Say!!

Jo

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Come On Down You Poms!!!

We Love You And Love The Fact That You Love Our Country!!

My Folks Came Out Here 38 Yrs Ago For Probably The Same Reason All Of You Have 'a Better Life' So Who In There Right Mind Could Knock That!!!!!!!

Welcome To Australia I Say!!

Jo

I,m glad Dale didn,t make that statement;)

Guzzler