to move or not to move?

Guest kerry1978

Guest kerry1978

Hi everyone I'm another newy who has been dreaming about emigrating to Adelaide for 6yrs (since having our 1st child). 2 children later and we are here again wishing and hoping we were there!

Looking through all the sites (and they are many) my head is aching already.

So my one question is shall we take the plunge and just do it? :)

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi, We have always talked and dreamt about moving and are so close to our dreams becoming reality it a great feeling. I say do it, if it something you want and are able to. Life is short and I want to make the most of it for us and our kids.

Michelle

Guest kerry1978

Thank you both for your replies.

We have had the forms filled ready to post and found out I was expecting number 2 and the draw of family support with 2 little ones was too much of a pull.

My little ones are 6 and 3 and at school which has made us think again. I hate the idea of not being able to plan for the weekend as the weather always spoils our plans! I also hate the fact that after school it's back to indoor play because it's dark and cold even in summer.

I dont expect a life changing move but little changes to family life can only benefit the kids.

Guest Guest75

Hiya

A few snippets from me.

As said,it's up to you.

We came for a challenge and change in lifestyle - got that in spades!

Quality of life is sooooooo important.

Financially you will be no better off and in fact a lot worse off (probably) for the first year or two.

Then the pieces of the jigsaw lock in and you move forward.

If the exchange rate /housing market were different well then it is a lot easier.

No rosy coloured glasses.

Get the kids out as early as possible.

It's a big change for some and they cannot cope with it.

The weather does play a big part here.

We've been here nearly 10 years now and it feels like home - I reckon the UK has passed me by now;)

Guest JayBone

"So my one question is shall we take the plunge and just do it? :) "

The smiley face tells me you have already made your mind up!!:v_SPIN:

Go for it, cos in another 6 years it will be alot harder!

Morbid thought i know, but, think what you will say to yourself on your death bed if this has been eating you up for your whole life, and remember you can always go back

Good luck with making your mind up, see you in Adelaide next year eh?;)

Guest martin77

We had this same dilemma. Well, Keeley did. She has a twin sister and are as close as can be. You can imagine how hard it was for her to actually go through with it.

Since coming here i have realised my trade pays peanuts when compared to the UK, i would be earning more than double my current salary in the UK. We have found it very very hard finacially since getting here as we came with very little money. The Adelaide winters are truly awfull when you don't have central heating like home lol. I could go on listing things that are so bad about here.

It really doesn't matter though, for us the good far outways the bad. The kids absolutely love it here, the lifestyle is fantastic and we are so happy. Keeley's twin recently visited for the first time, it was one of the most emotional things i have ever witnessed. Even she told keeley never to come home and just how amazing it is. She is now seeking way's to get here herself.

Of course everybody is different. Some do hate it and never settle. What i do know though is that if you don't atleast try it you will forever regret it.

What have you got to lose? You could come out here and hate it but you can always return to the UK. On the other hand you could love it. The worst option is to stay put and every now and then ask yourself ' what if? '

[

Financially you will be no better off and in fact a lot worse off (probably) for the first year or two.

Then the pieces of the jigsaw lock in and you move forward.

Quite right Tyke.

Very wise words.

We are coming up to year 3 and finally moving forward.

The first 18 months we went backwards, the next 12 months we were stagnent!!!

Finally moving forward!!!!:biglaugh:

Guest JoTanCalOwen

we thought about it few years ago,

did nothing,

thought about it some more did nothing due to outer family circles

done something and are now hoping,

with age being an issue, in 18 months or so hubby could be too old, as long as you have family in UK, you have something / someone to go back to should it not work out,

whilst on PIA you have family / friends here before you even move so help all way round

all in all still your decision

Good Luck

Hope you make the right decision for you, your partner and your children

Tanya :wubclub:

Guest motlyman

Some good points raised there all for consideration.

For me, i don't think i could spend the rest of my life wondering "what if".

I now know it was the right decision.

Been here 3 yrs now.

Colin

Guest bugbabe

Go for it, the itchy feet will never leave you...what is the worst thing that can happen? You lose a few quid and have to come home,but, you will have had an amazing experience and tried something extraordinary. You can always make moe money, but you can never get back the time you have lost. What is life for if not for trying to cram in as much as possible in the short time we are here?