Hello everyone........Information Please

Guest cork

Hi Guys,:)

We are Angela and Benjamin (Ben) Cork (Angela writing though) and we are talking about moving to Adelaide in the near future! At the moment we live in silloth, cumbria, UK and in august my uncle moved out to adelaide with his young family and they are loving it! My uncle has always told me to move about the world and has he looked into australia it grab our hearts and lives and we are hopefully going to visit them in May 2010 to check out the areas!

I'm just really worried about leaving family and friends behind esp our grandparents as they aren't getting any younger! I have so many questions as well like is it expensive to live out there, whats the healthcare like, social life as we are just a couple with no kids (at the minute), is it easy to get somewhere to live and work etc

So any information what so ever would be very helpful to us as we would really like to live in adelaide asap! Its just all confusing :confused: and we don't want to move without all the information we can get!

Many Thanks to you all! :cute:

Angela Cork

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Hi Angela and Ben,

You would need to give an idea of your trades, for people to answer in more detail, job sites such as seek.com.au or careerone.com can give you a rough idea of whats about, as well as word of mouth, which helps when people arrive, even look out for exhibitions.

Your visa application will have a lot to do with everything first and foremost, depending on yours or your hubby's skill that can determine the length of application time, at present, they have 7 skill levels from Critical Skills List (CSL) pretty much immediately required, to Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL), which is although your wanted you may have to wait up to 3 years.

I cannot give you the info on medical etc, other than most people top up with private medical insurance, ... I only went food shopping twice or so in Adelaide, my impression was that if you want like for like at home, it will cost you, if you buy local products and adapt to Aussie living, and go to the market(s) then you should be OK.

Hope this little snippet helps

Tanya

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Angela,

Welcome to PIA :)

Its a bit difficult to answer your questions, Finding jobs really depends on what you do for a living etc... example, if your a nurse you will get work quite quickly, if your in IT then its a bit harder to find.

cost of living I am told, is approx. the same, but you need to know where to shop!

I have no experience of the healthcare, however, many people on here have used it and the genral feedback is that it's by far better than the UK.

Barry

Thanks guys for your replies so far!

I work with children, I'm a childminder although i am unsure if you get childminders in OZ. Ben on the otherhand works for the government in the tax office dealing with self assessments etc again not sure what this would be in OZ!

We have had other jobs in our past, office workers, bar work, receptionist, factory worker, so we do learn quickly and do adapt to just about anything!

Thanks

Angela and Ben

Guest Guest75
Thanks guys for your replies so far!

I work with children, I'm a childminder although i am unsure if you get childminders in OZ. Ben on the otherhand works for the government in the tax office dealing with self assessments etc again not sure what this would be in OZ!

We have had other jobs in our past, office workers, bar work, receptionist, factory worker, so we do learn quickly and do adapt to just about anything!

Thanks

Angela and Ben

Hi Angela

Welcome to PIA.

I'm sure Ben will find work here - we do get taxed a fair bit!!