Meeting people (over 40 !) minus children

Guest Jane B

Hi all.

Thought I would bite the bullet and introduce myself -

I feel like I know alot of you, have been viewing this site for some time.

My husband and I are in our early 40's, have our PR visas, and are planning a move within the next 12 months or so (depending on if the house sells, fixing up work, etc)

Feel quite optimistic about it, however worrying about having the opportunities to meet people. It seems from threads that alot of people manage to meet through their children, at schools, coffee mornings, etc - we are just the two of us, so won't have that advantage, and will be working probably full-time.

Are there any other child-free people out there ? and how do you meet to form friendships?

We have a good network here, and that is probably the only thing we will miss about the UK

Take care and good luck to everyone going through the process

Jane

Hi Jane,

Welcome to the site.

the network of people on here are great and regardless of age or family situations, we are all in the same boat. I myself have two kids 9 & 5, but I will be just as pleased to form friendships with couples with or without kids. It depends on your preference.

Hope you have luck with your house and you would be amazed at the amount of people you will meet when you are least expecting it. Friendships turn up in the oddest of places!

you'll be fine!

Guest Bex & Nick

Hi Jane

You've summed up a few of our thoughts about meeting people without kids! Coming on here or other forums can be a help. Others in similar situations will chat back (and not everyone with kids are ogres:goofy:)! Maybe you'll arrange to meet up too. But the real answer is that whether you're a couple, single or a family you still have to work at it. Sometimes you just get home from work and the last thing you want to do is to go out with someone you hardly know but you've got to make the effort - you may not get asked again is our philosophy! (Saying that I'm not saying you've got go out every night of the week!!).

We've just joined our local tennis club and have met a few people through that and when the season starts in October we'll hopefully get more involved. I've done a Thai cookery course too - met some people there but most went in couples (with a friend), so in terms of making friends per se perhaps not so successful. Also you'll meet people through work. We've been here almost three months and I can't say we've got anyone close but over time that will happen.

Bex

Hi Jane,

we qualify almost, Mark was 40 this year and me well, too close for comfort.

we are a couple who have no children and like Bex & cormcvrc mention we have friends in the uk from all backrounds with or without children so we will be happy to meet any friendly face when we finally get there. Like Bex we are going to join sporting clubs etc as couples to try and meet people.

anyone can PM me if you want a chat though

Many thanks

Hi,

We too know how most of you feel....although we are younger and childless...:notworthy:! We have been to several meets in the uk with people of all ages, children and no children. We have found everyone to be friendly regardless of age and children.

I hope to meet up with some people i met on here when we get to Oz as well....! We too are going to join clubs, societys to mix and mingle!

Good luck!

Dan and Steph

Guest Mark&Pamela

Just wanted to say hello, and reasure you that other people are in the same boat. Mark and I are in our early 40's and are just the two of us.

We too have been thinking like you, and echo some of your sentiments about children being a link to meet other people through schools, etc.

Mostly we hope to meet people through work, but will also join a gym/health club, and try to meet people that way.

Perhaps it may be nice for us similar people to get together sometimes ?

Agree with what others have said, it can be hard work, and you do have to go that extra mile and make an effort to get yourself out there and make friends; but that is all part of starting a new life.

Hope to meet up when we all arrive

Hi all.

Thought I would bite the bullet and introduce myself -

I feel like I know alot of you, have been viewing this site for some time.

My husband and I are in our early 40's, have our PR visas, and are planning a move within the next 12 months or so (depending on if the house sells, fixing up work, etc)

Feel quite optimistic about it, however worrying about having the opportunities to meet people. It seems from threads that alot of people manage to meet through their children, at schools, coffee mornings, etc - we are just the two of us, so won't have that advantage, and will be working probably full-time.

Are there any other child-free people out there ? and how do you meet to form friendships?

We have a good network here, and that is probably the only thing we will miss about the UK

Take care and good luck to everyone going through the process

Jane

Jane,

welcome to the site. Like others have said there is a good mixture of types of families on here and even those with kids have not completely lost their marbles yet:wacko:. The meets that happen are a good way of meeting people and chatting on here is a good way of getting to know people ready for the big move!.

From what we have seen when on reccie and hear about on here there is loads of activities and places to get to know people even without children. Plenty of wine tasting experts on here and the odd golfer!!

Best of luck with everything and hope to get to chat to you both at some stage either here or on the other side

Guest nikkiandlee

Hi Jane,

Lee and i are in our mid 30's however we do have children, Ive always worked so miss out on chatting to other mums in the school yard! I find that work is also a good place to make friends!

Although we do have children we also have an adult social life and have many friends with or without children!;)

Anyway you will find loads of people you have things in common with on this forum i'm sure!

Good luck with everything.

Nikki

Guest Ian & Diane

Hi all,

Glad to know that there are a few more 40 something's without children going over as we were beginning to think that we were the only ones. We intend to join clubs etc to meet people and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle as others have mentioned. Would love to meet up with you all for a few drinks and a laugh when we get out there. :biglaugh: hic! hic!

Guest theshearers

[quote=ianb;13196]

Plenty of wine tasting experts on here and the odd golfer!!

There are definatley a few odd golfers on here, thats a fact!!!!

(Only joking Flaming Galahs!!)

Vicki x

Guest graandjac

;)Hi Jane ....you old git....!!!! only joking although we have kids we have friends without and iam sure there will be loads of people in the same boat. Anyone making the big move iam sure will have no problem making new friends. What i mean is anyone moving to the other side of the world to make a new life ...making new friends in comparisam will be a breeze, hope all goes well. Cheers Graham & Jacqui

Thanks Vicki we're not all OLD Flaming Galahs says the founder....!!!!

Guest guest569

You'll be ok,

If its not one problem its another.:biglaugh:

We have 6 and 4 year old anklebiters and feel its hard to find friends with kids not in their teens. We get bye and have made some very good friends ( some even without kids :shocked:)

Guest Rachel & Jeff

We are also in that age bracket and going without children.

I have 2 but they are older and not coming with me:sad:so will have to cope with missing them as well as making new friends.

Still, I met get to see more of them cos when they come to visit they won't have any mates to go out with!

Rachel

Hi Jane

We are in the same boat. My husband will be arriving in Adelaide on 11th October and I will be following 5 weeks later (have to work a long employment notice). We will be leaving our 3 kids here (all in early 20's) - they do have visas but have their own lives and partners and do not want to come out at present. We feel guilty leaving them but this will be our last chance to go and they say they are proud of us.

We do have relatives in Adelaide and have visited several times and have found it a very friendly place but I'm so scared!

Would be pleased to meet up when you arrive and would like to meet up with anyone else when I get there in November.

Tina