adelaide...a good place to live?.

Guest redditchcouple

Guest redditchcouple

hi there,i'm scott(39) a carpenter,my wife is sally(46) and she is a care worker.we have 2 children,both girls aged 9 and 6. we are just beginning the visa process.we are thinking seriously of moving to adelaide,myself simply because it is the driest city in oz?...cant stand working with this rain and snow on my back any more...the bones wont take it:goofy:. where are the best places to live around there(and if anybody wants to offer me...or the wife... a job.........):).any general info welcomed.

Hi Scott

Adelaide is a lovelly place to live but everyone has there personal choice of which is the best area and all comes down to research where potential jobs might be etc. There are lots of threads on here about job, houses and work and all very helpful. I would point some out for you but it is easier of you take a look and find what relevant to you.

Good luck and hope you don't have a long wait for you visa.

Michelle

Hi. We arrived Adelaide June last year and had lots of rain through til October time! Think it was an unusual year for weather. We think Adelaide is a great place to raise children. My husband chose Adelaide because of the seasons - he quite liked the uk winters! It does feel cold here in the winter but you won't be scraping ice from your windscreen every morning! Good luck with your plans

Guest cruise

Hi. We hate the winters in the UK. Can you please help with some info? How cold does it get? Is it cold for upto 6 months? Does it feel cold during the day or is it only during the night? many thanks.

Hi. We hate the winters in the UK. Can you please help with some info? How cold does it get? Is it cold for upto 6 months? Does it feel cold during the day or is it only during the night? many thanks.

Its the ebst place in the world....Paradise at times.

Its gets down to around 4/6 some winter nights, i have only had scrape ice off my car once in 2 years, put it this way when you first get here its like English summer for 8/9 months of the year then once you get used to it winter does seem a little cold.

The houses are built to keep cool NOT warm so be prepared for that.

All in all its lovely lots to do, and lots to see the city is amazing and not really a city more like a big town.

Alot of folks bag Adelaide and SA leave them to it i say, that way there is more for us Adelaide people to really enjoy....

HG

Guest SA Great

No it's a dreadful place....thats why we all live here LOL!! Just kidding. Yes it's a very nice city, some of the other states say it's boring, we went to Sydney for the weekend and there is soooo much going on there but I wouldn't want to live there. If you are looking for a quieter life, nice beaches, still plenty to do and want to spend your remaining days hoping for some rain then this is the place!! It is incredibly dry in the summer.

With regards to where to live it depends who you ask. If you ask Diane she will tell you North East is the go (and its lovely there, hope you liked that one Diane!!) but if you follow the majority of poms who have a yearning to live near the beach (including myself!!) then I will say go south. Main problem with South is the traffic and some of the far south places can be a long way from industry, but the beaches are superb.

Weather wise, I have been here 19 years tomorrow and reckon the summers would be hard to beat anywhere in the world, simply fantastic. Clear blue skies day after day, but from May to October I find cold and have the heating on during this period. Generally only in the evenings though.

Hope all this helps.

No I'm not recommending anyone else come to the North East any more! We don't have any more room on our get-togethers......!!!!! If your children have particular talents that they excel at, I'd consider being within at least a half hour drive of the City as that gives more options in terms of sporting clubs, arts/drama/music etc. But that still leaves you plenty of choice.

One of the nicest things about Adelaide is nothing is very far away - if you like to live near the beaches, then the hills are only a short way away, and if you like to live near the hills, then the beaches are within 30 minutes drive, if you like a bit of life in the evenings, the City isn't all that far from most places, and if you like rural, you can have that within 10 minutes of the City!

It's not everyone's cup of tea, and won't suit everyone - some can't wait to leave! - but as a place to bring up a family, I think it's hard to beat. It's pretty damn hot in the summer, and feels relatively cold in the winter sometimes - mind you, me and Mrs Kangomik were moaning about the cold mornings today - it was only 13 degrees when I walked the dog this morning - brrrrrrrr!!!! Think our blood must have thinned.....(Did go up to about 27 later though, and we're in Autumn now)

Guest Guest75
No I'm not recommending anyone else come to the North East It's pretty damn hot in the summer, and feels relatively cold in the winter sometimes - mind you, me and Mrs Kangomik were moaning about the cold mornings today - it was only 13 degrees when I walked the dog this morning - brrrrrrrr!!!! Think our blood must have thinned.....(Did go up to about 27 later though, and we're in Autumn now)

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pack yer whinging up!!

BTW - it's warmer down Sarf ;);)

Guest moonraker1959

Weather wise,I think SA is quite good!We lived in a small country town and summer was nice and hot and winter was,well quite cold actually!We had a wood burner,and that used to be on pretty much 24/7.Just a word of warning,both my brothers are brickies and one of them has had skin cancer twice now,so please be careful and when you do move,ensure you always slap on the sunscreen.My older sister has also had skin cancer(both are doing ok at the mo thank god).I only mention this because although you may be sick of the rain and snow,you need to be very very careful when outside,working or otherwise.Good luck with the move!

• 1 month later...
Guest angiestaff
Solihull couple been in adelaide 2 weeks

Hi Gina n Alan,

how have you found adelaide since u've been here?

not quite the same as solihull is it?? :biglaugh:

me n hubby lived 2 mile down the road, brays road in sheldon ( the cov' r.d end), i've spent many hours shopping in touchwood (too many according to hubby! lol). we've been here over a yr now and wouldn't go back, hope things are going well.

ange x

Guest joolz

mind you, me and Mrs Kangomik were moaning about the cold mornings today - it was only 13 degrees when I walked the dog this morning - brrrrrrrr!!!! Think our blood must have thinned.....(Did go up to about 27 later though, and we're in Autumn now)

Ha ha, you are getting soft...just about scrapping 16-18 here in UK and we are in t-shirt and shorts....WASSAMADDER WID YU!!!!!! OH says he will venture into hot pants soon if we go up 3 degrees (he wears shorts all year round). Don't let it go any higher or the Thong comes out...Stringfellow stylie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

Looking forward to those balmy WINTER EVENINGS in June...tee heee!!!!!