moving to Adelaide in May

Guest ellysam

Guest ellysam

Hi

Me (36) my husband Kevin (35) and son Sam (8 years) are moving to Adelaide in May while our daughter Elly (16) will be joining us in July once she has finished her college course.

We have our 457 visa sorted but i am getting cold feet and was looking for people who are making the move or have done so and had this horrible feeling of 'are we doing the right thing' or are leaving a child behind.

Sorry for being a little negative we are very excited too!

We would love to talk to others who understand.

Thanks

Issy

Hi

We are moving to Adelaide on the 2oth of May (Me (38) Lisa(37) & Lola (2 weeks)

I may be going alone on that date for a short while all depending on house sale, so obviously have fears of leaving new born and wife in the UK, but the future is whats important and this is what i keep telling myself :) so i have total sympathy for what you are going through, its all very natural lol.

I start work on the 7th June so will have 2 weeks to attempt to get sorted.

We are planning on moving to southern beaches, Hallett, Port Nor, Seafored etc, where are you planning on going?

Darren

Guest bentkitty

Hi Ellysam

We moved to Adelaide from the UK 6 months ago and absolutely loving it so far. The weather, the friendly people, lack of crowds/traffic (compared to London, which is where we were from), amazing food and wine, lots of things to do / see, I can go on. I must admit we cant really think of a single negative about our move (except perhaps the strength of the Aussie dollar!). Our only regret is that we wish we had done it sooner! I am sure your kids will love it too as there is so much more for kids here than back in the UK (especially London inner suburbs). And dont worry about the few months you will be separated from your daughter - you will be so busy during that time getting your new life sorted, before you know it, she will be with you again.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions re: impending arrival, accommodation, what you need to do first when you land etc etc.

good luck

Guest shella_n

Hi

We are hoping to arrive in June - just waiting for our 457 to be granted before we c an book flights etc.

It is very nerve racking and I am sure when I have booked the flights and we are "defiantely going" the nerves will kick in more but I am absolutely convinced that this is the right thing for us and Im so excited at the thought of our new life!

We are planning on heading to the northern suburbs (Semaphore, West lakes) purely as its closer to husbands work.

Our friends moved to Adeliade last September and are absolutely loving it.

Where are you planning on heading to?

Michelle

PS - how long did your 457 take to get granted after nomination?

Guest ellysam

Hello All

Thanks for your messages.

We would like to be by the beach either Glenelg or brighton and are looking to rent a holiday home for the first 3 months while we find somewhere more permanent.

hi Darren if you do end up going alone for the first couple of weeks Kevin is more than willing to have a beer with you just so you dont get lonely of course.

hi Bentkitty thanks its reassuring to hear your having a great time and we will be taking you up on the offer of help. It sounds so lovely ive never been so its a big risk.

hi Michelle i was nominated in November and my visa was granted early March it would have been alot quicker but i was a bit slow at getting all my bits together.

thanks again and keep me updated on how you are all getting on

Guest bentkitty
Hello All

Thanks for your messages.

We would like to be by the beach either Glenelg or brighton and are looking to rent a holiday home for the first 3 months while we find somewhere more permanent.

hi Darren if you do end up going alone for the first couple of weeks Kevin is more than willing to have a beer with you just so you dont get lonely of course.

hi Bentkitty thanks its reassuring to hear your having a great time and we will be taking you up on the offer of help. It sounds so lovely ive never been so its a big risk.

hi Michelle i was nominated in November and my visa was granted early March it would have been alot quicker but i was a bit slow at getting all my bits together.

thanks again and keep me updated on how you are all getting on

Would be very glad to assist you upon arrival, we are in Brighton, and know the area fairly well now. Be warned though that holiday units in Glenelg/Brighton are quite dear (even in low season) and you may end up paying A LOT for 3 months compared to the cost of a normal rental, why not rent a holiday unit for a few weeks (as we have done) and find a permanent rental in that time? Our tiny decrepit short term rental unit in Glenelg (low season) was costing 3 times more than what we are now paying in rent for a brand new 3 bedroom house in Brighton. From what I understand it is fairly easy and common for people to get out of a rental before the contract ends (breaking lease), for instance if you were to buy your own place. Obviously dont know your circumstances but just a thought. We were lucky and found a permanent rental in 2 weeks of landing though I think 4 weeks is more typical...

ps - assistance offer stands for anyone else arriving in Adelaide shortly! Feel free to PM me with any questions! :)

Guest Justme

Hi Bentkitty, I totally agree with what you say, the only negative thing is the £ against the $. We live in North Brighton and came out 3 months ago - so just up the road and are loving it. Same as you, we wish we had done it 24 years ago when my husband first looked at it!!!!

Guest ellysam

Thanks for the advice i will look into getting a holiday home for a couple of weeks instead. Ive been looking at rental prices in Brighton and was pleasantly surprised how reasonable they are. :jiggy:

Guest shella_n
Thanks for the advice i will look into getting a holiday home for a couple of weeks instead. Ive been looking at rental prices in Brighton and was pleasantly surprised how reasonable they are. :jiggy:

Hey

Im really struggiling to find holiday homes at reasonable prices. What sites are you looking on? We are due to arrive mid June.

Thanks

Michelle

Guest bentkitty

There are several holiday lets listed on Adelaidebound.com (short term rentals), depending on when you are arriving bungalow units at caravan sites may be a viable option too. They are all quite pricey, even offseason - though still cheaper than hotels obviously. Hence why you should try to get a permanent rental upon landing as soon as possible.

Guest Justme

Hi look for Tamara (homes down under) she rents out houses and picks you up from the airport. Food in the fridge for your tea. Its really good and they are a nice couple too. Send her an email. I will c.c. her into this too. x

Guest shella_n
Hi look for Tamara (homes down under) she rents out houses and picks you up from the airport. Food in the fridge for your tea. Its really good and they are a nice couple too. Send her an email. I will c.c. her into this too. x

Hi

Thankfr that. have had a look and the houses look realy nice - god value too!:notworthy: Unfortuantely there are none available in June except for Seaford which is out of our budget. :embarrassed:

Any othr suggestions welcome!

Michelle