a nervous nervous hello & job query

Guest starduster

Guest starduster

Hi, Having spent months and months looking at other messages (and finally reading shella_n post) I've finally plucked up the courage to join in. Great forums this and PomsinOz.

Our visa was granted Sept 08 and we are only awaiting the sale of our house to make the move. We need to be in Adelaide by June so have opted to visit for the month of May. Costly, but we're not losing the visa! I'm really nervous about the move at the moment, I think I'm a bit concerned about job prospects.

Can anyone offer advise about job hunting... My background is architecture and I've worked with several residential property developers throughout the UK, and wonder whats the best way to approach employers in Adelaide.....

1. Should I write just now and enclose a cv/ portfolio of work and advise that I'll be in Adelaide in May.

2. Should I wait until we have finally moved.

3. Has anyone had any joy re placing their details on the Australian Skilled Migrant Job Seeker website?

4. Any other suggestions?

Our other big issue is which suburb, which I see we're not alone!

Finally, if anyone is still in the trenches of pursuing their visa, the best advise I can offer is to stick with it. There was many times when we had virtually given up all hope. If it was easy we'd all be doing it!

kind regards

Hi, Having spent months and months looking at other messages (and finally reading shella_n post) I've finally plucked up the courage to join in. Great forums this and PomsinOz.

Our visa was granted Sept 08 and we are only awaiting the sale of our house to make the move. We need to be in Adelaide by June so have opted to visit for the month of May. Costly, but we're not losing the visa! I'm really nervous about the move at the moment, I think I'm a bit concerned about job prospects.

Can anyone offer advise about job hunting... My background is architecture and I've worked with several residential property developers throughout the UK, and wonder whats the best way to approach employers in Adelaide.....

1. Should I write just now and enclose a cv/ portfolio of work and advise that I'll be in Adelaide in May.

3. Has anyone had any joy re placing their details on the Australian Skilled Migrant Job Seeker website?

Finally, if anyone is still in the trenches of pursuing their visa, the best advise I can offer is to stick with it. There was many times when we had virtually given up all hope. If it was easy we'd all be doing it!

kind regards

Hi there, I arrived in Adelaide in January and am looking for work. The best tips I can give you for before you come over here would be to sign up and create a profile on Seek & Monster/Career One as these are the main job websites.

What then happens is you can set your criteria for work you are looking for and you willl receive an email either weekly or daily. On the odd occassion the website does give a company name, so you might want to make a note and email them directly.

As a second tip, I would go on www.google.com.au and key in yellow pages, then search for Architect businesses in Adelaide. The chances are they will be in the Central Business District. Depending on the replies and what the yellow pages search throws up you can then might be in a better position to choose a suburb.

Another tip would be to go on career one & update your CV (called Resume over here). Mine was a bit dusty after being with the same bank for 9 years. Sorry but I can't help on the Australian Skilled Migrant Job Seeker website.

If I can be of anymore help let me know.

Steven Flood (steven_flood@hotmail.co.uk)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

There are a few good suburbs around. Generally I would recommend south of the city. I have lived in two different suburbs (Oaklands Park and Happy Valley) which I think are both reasonable areas.

Do you have any children coming with you? It may be an idea to consider the areas based on the schools around. Also, what type of place would you be looking for? Do you prefer the seaside, or a large back garden with space to grow things? And will public transport be needed?

I feel that the nice thing about Adelaide is that it has several smaller shopping centres that you can live close to without being in a really crowded area.

Hey, There are a few good suburbs around. Generally I would recommend south of the city.

..... or west......or east......or northeast.....or northwest......or southeast.....or southwest....

I'd focus on the job side of things, then when you know where you're working, base your suburb search on that! Don't limit yourself beforehand. Be terrible if you got offered a fantastic job in Gawler, but had decided to live in Aldinga!

Guest ladybird

Hi,

When we had a reccie to Adelaide I emailed some hospitals directly (I'm a midwife) and basically stated we were looking to emigrate and would be in Adelaide and I would like to look round etc. I had two interviews as a result and offered jobs with both of them so it's worth going down the yellow pages route and emailing companies direct. We're still in the UK but i do feel more prepared as I've actually been and looked at potential places to work, I did a resume (very different but easier than a cv i found) and i experienced interviews - very informal. I googled how to do an australian resume and based mine on that and the feedback was good so i think the internet is going to be your best source.

As far as suburbs go we hired a car and just drove and drove and drove! We had a good look round all sorts of areas and stopped off in cafe's, newsagents etc and just spoke to people and you get a real feel for areas that you do and don't like the look/feel of.

Good Luck x

Guest rachinadelaide

kind regards

Adelaide appears to be a lot about who you know and not what you know. A friend of mine came over and immediately approached a couple of relevant companies for 'advice' on working in her field in Adelaide. She was taken out for coffee by a couple of people and got a job pretty quickly by recommendation.

Good luck!!