Hospitals

Guest gingerlindz

Guest gingerlindz

Hello all!

My OH and I are hoping to move to Adelaide in July, I just have to choose the job I want then my visa process will get going. I just wondered if anyone has been involved (working or otherwise) with Flinders Medical centre and/or Royal Adelaide, and if so what did they think.

I have a job offer at each,one in ITU and the other in emergency dept, I currently work in ITU and the emergency room would be a new area but that hospital is closer to the house we have organised for the first year.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Lindsay:confused:

hi, i am working at the royal adelaide hospital been here for 8 months now...so far its ok, the hospital is old (about time they build a new one)lolol..but work wise its good i work at spinal unit, if ur working at icu, its i guess 40 bedded unit, the unit is fairly new..the emergency dept. is busy as ever..i heard flinders is good as well, its semi public..i think...well i hope i answered some of ur question;)

Hello all!

My OH and I are hoping to move to Adelaide in July, I just have to choose the job I want then my visa process will get going. I just wondered if anyone has been involved (working or otherwise) with Flinders Medical centre and/or Royal Adelaide, and if so what did they think.

I have a job offer at each,one in ITU and the other in emergency dept, I currently work in ITU and the emergency room would be a new area but that hospital is closer to the house we have organised for the first year.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Lindsay:confused:

Hi there - They are both large public hospitals - Have worked at Flinders (but Im a midwife) and I like Flinders. My hubby is an ITU nurse and has worked at both through the agency. I think his personal preference is the RAH. He works at Wakefield Calvary which is private, the consultants that he works with at Wakefield do the majority of their public practise at the RAH so it may have something to do with the fact that he's more aware of their policies and procedures. Flinders ICU is large - think it may have around 32 or 36 beds. My hubby is on nights at the moment but when he gets in will ask him to reply!

Guest gingerlindz

Thanks its ITU at Flinders and ED at RAH that I've been offered. I currently work in ITU here ED would be new to me although taking in a lot of previous jobs. I don't know how hard it'll be moving countries generally never mind moving jobs as well, but also have stubborn streak re not taking easy option!!!!

Thanks for advice so far.

Lindsay

I would really look at where you would like to be living. I have worked at the RAH which was ok but not suited to my needs so am now working in the community. Living in Reynella it took me anywhere over 30 mins to get to work depending on traffic. I do know other people who live down south and ended up moving jobs as they wanted to work closer to home. Good luck with your decision.

Guest gingerlindz

We're going to be living in Burnside for first year then who knows after that! Which makes RAH closest hospital but travelling doesn't bother me as I currently travel over 40 miles to get to work here.

ARG its a lovely but confusing position to be in!!!

If u don't mind the traveling, then go with your heart and opt for the job that you think you would prefer. If you feel up to a challenge on taking up a new position in nursing then hey why not give ED a go, fresh start and all. If your thinking along the lines that because it's a big move you would rather stay in an area of nursing you are comfortable in then go for ICU. You could always change jobs once you are settled here, they are always needing nurses in just about every field. Sorry i know it's not much help. You'll make the best decision for you whichever you choose.

Guest gingerlindz

Decided and sent my acceptance email yesterday, decided to go with a little of what i know to start with. Flinders medical centre it is! ITU for me to start and see what happens from there. Thanks for all your advice!

Lindsay