Help - Painters And Decorators

Guest Julie P

Hi

I hope someone can help me

My hubby has 22 years in the decorating business and has owned his own business for 8 years - we were going for his TRA - only now cannot go under pathway D as his experience is all workplace. Our agent has advised us to provide his CV and they will distrubute under their networks - Is there any one that could provide me with a contact for a painting and decorating business in Adelaide that could help me with an employment sponsored visa??

What is so fustrating is that we exceed the points to get into Australia his skills are now on the MODL

Any help at this stage would be much appreciated

Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie,

i am sorry to hear your problem but i am sure there is ways of solving this.

my husband is a painter & decorator and he had to prove his qualifications,apprentice & work experience which we thought was totally unbelievable.

the only thing i can think is looking on the websites for there yellow pages etc. i have been on whitpages.com.au and there is decorator companies on there alternatively there is the expo's that have employment recruitments on site. there is one in manchester 27-28th oct.

any more info you need please let me know or pm me.

thanks

Hi

I hope someone can help me

My hubby has 22 years in the decorating business and has owned his own business for 8 years - we were going for his TRA - only now cannot go under pathway D as his experience is all workplace. Our agent has advised us to provide his CV and they will distrubute under their networks - Is there any one that could provide me with a contact for a painting and decorating business in Adelaide that could help me with an employment sponsored visa??

What is so fustrating is that we exceed the points to get into Australia his skills are now on the MODL

Any help at this stage would be much appreciated

Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie,

I am also a painter and decorator going on experience only (20 years) but got in just in time before pathway D closed.

I am not sure what qualifcations are needed but there may be a short cut to NVQ level 2, at least and maybe level 3, without going to collage for years, check out this site to start http://www.citb-constructionskills.co.uk/cardschemes/ it is to do with the government wanting a fully qualified workforce by 2010, to get a trade card you need at least NVQ 2 which normally takes 2 years at collage 1 day a week, this can be achieved for experienced workers by assesment only. It can take a little time I have just completed one as a maintanence operative I supplied my cv, some references, work sheets signed by customers showing jobs that required a range of skills and completed a written test that lasted about an hour on procedures rather than trade skills, I also had a man watching me work on site for a couple of hours, this has taken about 5 months although it was arranged by my company who were not in a hurry, as a result I am now waiting for a cscs card and a NVQ2 to drop through the door.

The approved company whos name escapes me at the moment who did the testing seems to treat these assessments as a formality for people who can show many years experience if you want the name of them pm me and I will pass it on to you.

hope this helps a bit.

Simon

Guest nikkiandlee

HI,

I have no idea about painting and decorating however I do know (as i taught NVQ's) that in hairdressing you can get APLed where you just need to prove you approved prior learning, this can fast track you through the qualifacation! I'm not sure if you would still have to sit the exams or not but it may be worth phoning a local college to find out what they can do for you to gain you certificates.

hope you find a way

Nikki

We arrived 2 weeks ago on the SIR495, hubby is a P&D. Fortunately he has found work & starts on Monday, I am not sure I can help yet with companies but I will ask Ashley to ask the other guys for any suggestions (once hes met them !).

Angela

Great news about the job Ash, seems like your settling in great. Nice to see you doing so well. I am sure everyone the same in wishing you well and all looking forward to getting out there with you all.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

on the other forum, adelaide brits there has been a thread recently by someone who has found a sponser and will be here within a few months, not sure but I think there is a compnay looking to sponser at the moment.

sarah

Whoops, I think you might be that someone on the other forum ...sorry!

Thanks for this Simon really useful awaiting for Migrant Agent to advise on what quals would be needed but if you have this company name please let me know

Thanks for your help

Julie

Thanks for this Simon really useful awaiting for Migrant Agent to advise on what quals would be needed but if you have this company name please let me know

Thanks for your help

Julie

Hi,

I wont be able to give you the name of the company until monday night as info is in my van and I am in Gibraltar, as soon as i get back i wil pm you the info

Simon

Just thought I would drop in.

Ashley has been working for a company in the city now for over a week. He is paid fortnightly into our bank account & his payslip is posted to the house.

There are a few other pommes on the site he is working on & everyone seems to get along fine.

Unfortunately I cannot give you much help about visa's except I did attend the SIR495 meeting in the city this week, Ashley was working, the TRA for SA were there & they said that all trade applicants should go along, free appt, to discuss their qualifications, experience etc & they can re-evaluate where they will fit into the SA community / labour market.

I think what they were trying to say was that some skills are not necessarily recognised in SA & although you have proven your skill, in our case, as a migrant to the TRA their job is different to this & they help also with connections.

Seems a bit long winded I think especially as Ashley has a job already.

Hope this is of some help.

Angela

• 6 months later...
Guest obi93733

hi julie

i'm new to this so i dont know how old your request is but i have some info that might help here goes,i to am a p&d 22 years i had to get my skills assessed by TRA ,a firm then contacted me offering a work sponcer and a 3 year contract ,the man you want to speak to is martin penney at www.paintprofessionals.com.au we are also using his guy to sort out our PR visa i also know he has quite afew brits working for him .hope this helps.

jason.

Guest Julie P

Thanks for this

OH is going to wait till the summer when some news comes from pathway D then we can make up our minds on what to do - I will keep the website though for future ref

All the best

Julie

• 3 years later...
Guest Shaun O
Thanks for this

OH is going to wait till the summer when some news comes from pathway D then we can make up our minds on what to do - I will keep the website though for future ref

All the best

Julie

Julie im also a painter and decorator and have recently passed my NVQ level 2 and 3 which is what you need or so ive been told as experience alone will not be enough. Im about to apply to TRA next week so will keep you up to date with my progress. Look into OSAT for your husband as they can assess his skills on site and while hes decorating. Its on site asessment training.