Flights booked

JHN5

Hi All

i'm not sure if this is in the right thread, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

Well we've booked our flights (one way) for the 19th August with Singapore Airlines.,

Been talking to removal companies (4 so far), some great tips from them about retuning TV's etc (if it doesn't work in Oz try tuning it to the german frequency), heads spinning at all the things we have got to do.

It's also been really difficult, because I'm self employed, I haven't been able to tell any one yet but we have decided that after Easter to advise all my current contracts. It will be good to have it out in the open and once I've told them, we can start looking forward.

I've been looking at High School info and not getting any where really. Our eldest started High School last Sept and is really not impressed to end up in "little school" but with the two girls going to be in Primary for a while yet, we want to make sure we are in a good area for primary and high schools. Any suggestions gratefully received :wubclub:

We are looking at South of the CBD probably and Hallet Cove, Aberfoyle Park, Shiedow, Trott Park areas have come up from internet research. Our kids are 11, 10 and 8, general interests really but the eldest loves science and is doing really well at those subjects currently.

Hope you all have a great Easter :cute:

Guest P00hbear

Congratulations..... I expect you are switching between nervous and excited on an hourly basis! I know what you mean about telling people....I am in the same boat, haven't told my boss or work colleagues yet - just waiting for the green light first - it's hard work though - so like you will feel much better when it's out in the open :) Good luck with all your planning - keep us up to date - hopefully we will booking flights for the end of the year - so I may be in touch for advice on what to do first! So much in my head to do and just don't know where to begin! Enjoy the Easter break

Oh memories. We arrived around that time in August last year and have not looked back, as we absolutely love it here. In fact we actually feel guilty for not feeling home sick or missing anything about the UK (close family, obviously!) and that includes all of us. We live in Hallett Cove and have made so many friends, both ourselves and the boys, that we feel like we have really found somewhere where we would like to spend the rest of our lives.

Good luck with the move and I know that you will all go through a myriad of emotions as the red letter day arrives, as all those that have gone before will testify, but believe me, it will all be worth it in the end.

Congratulations..... I expect you are switching between nervous and excited on an hourly basis! I know what you mean about telling people....I am in the same boat, haven't told my boss or work colleagues yet - just waiting for the green light first - it's hard work though - so like you will feel much better when it's out in the open :) Good luck with all your planning - keep us up to date - hopefully we will booking flights for the end of the year - so I may be in touch for advice on what to do first! So much in my head to do and just don't know where to begin! Enjoy the Easter break[/quote

I'm with you on the switching, feels like a roller coaster but now we have booked flights, it feels so much better :) . We can start planning now by working backwards from the flight date and it has helped with the kids having an actual date for them.

What stage are you at with your application process? Wherever you are I hope it goes smoothly for you :wubclub:

Oh memories. We arrived around that time in August last year and have not looked back, as we absolutely love it here. In fact we actually feel guilty for not feeling home sick or missing anything about the UK (close family, obviously!) and that includes all of us. We live in Hallett Cove and have made so many friends, both ourselves and the boys, that we feel like we have really found somewhere where we would like to spend the rest of our lives.

Good luck with the move and I know that you will all go through a myriad of emotions as the red letter day arrives, as all those that have gone before will testify, but believe me, it will all be worth it in the end.

Thank you very much for your good wishes. We are all really excited about the move, it has been up and down with our eldest (11, but twelve in time for us to pay an adult fare for the flight :err:) but he is now really looking forward to the move.

No need to feel guilty about missing over here, I think we will be exactly the same as you all, just missing close family and friends.

Hallet Cove is an area that keeps on coming up in our research, do you have any inside info on the Primary and High School's?

Hope you have had a great Easter :wubclub:

All the best with the move,

You will love Hallet Cove, Aberfoyle Park, Shiedow or Trott Park.

We have just bought in Aberfoyle Park.

Where are you coming from?

Rob and Mel

Thank you very much :)

It's great to hear that our initial research seems to be on the right track.

We live in a village on the Worcestershire/Herefordshire border, been here for about ten years before that the Isle of Man and before that Guernsey, hubby is from London and I'm originally from Merseyside. Our islands are getting gradually bigger !! One child born in each Island so far but we have no intention of having another one :huh:

My cousin lives in Aberfoyle Park and she loves it there. She's been over in Adelaide twenty years now and she has been great with info but it's nice to hear some more points of view.

Hope you have had a good Easter.

Guest P00hbear

I'm with you on the switching, feels like a roller coaster but now we have booked flights, it feels so much better . We can start planning now by working backwards from the flight date and it has helped with the kids having an actual date for them.

What stage are you at with your application process? Wherever you are I hope it goes smoothly for you

Hi we are awaiting the big decision from the high commission! All our paperwork is in now and there is nothing else we can do!:v_SPIN:

We have applied for a Carers Visa and will be living someone near Blakeview/Elizabeth area. It's been a long road to get to this point but fingers crossed :arghh:

I kinda think that they wouldn't have sent us for our medicals if they were going to say no:sad:

I am sure I will post on here when we know one way or another - it's been a real inspiration, reading about others journeys and consequently there arrival reports.

Thanks for your good wishes and good luck again for all your planning - do you have your house up for sale? I think that is the most difficult part - just how long do you need to sell you house and be ready to go :arghh:

Wendy

Guest liamcnaught
All the best with the move,

You will love Hallet Cove, Aberfoyle Park, Shiedow or Trott Park.

We have just bought in Aberfoyle Park.

Where are you coming from?

Rob and Mel

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread..we have just booked our flights for November to Adelaide and we have picked Aberfoyle Park as a place to stay with my husband and 4 boys. Seems like a great place and wondered what the primary schools are like??

If you have any advice or information I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Lia

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread..we have just booked our flights for November to Adelaide and we have picked Aberfoyle Park as a place to stay with my husband and 4 boys. Seems like a great place and wondered what the primary schools are like??

If you have any advice or information I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Lia

Hi Lia

Don't apologise for coming in on this thread, the more the merrier :wubclub: We are all probably looking for the same information and it all helps.

Aberfoyle Hub School - Department of Education and Children's Services

Link above to the Aberfoyle Hub School I found, hope it gives you some useful info.

Four boys!! :err: We've just got the one (11) and he keeps us on our toes ! Add the two girls (10 and 8) and life is very definitely not dull, how old are your boys?

Who are you flying with in November? When we booked our flight, we made sure there was great in flight entertainment on both legs. Thank you Singapore Airlines! :notworthy:

Hope everything goes well for you all.

Guest liamcnaught
Hi Lia

Don't apologise for coming in on this thread, the more the merrier :wubclub: We are all probably looking for the same information and it all helps.

Aberfoyle Hub School - Department of Education and Children's Services

Link above to the Aberfoyle Hub School I found, hope it gives you some useful info.

Four boys!! :err: We've just got the one (11) and he keeps us on our toes ! Add the two girls (10 and 8) and life is very definitely not dull, how old are your boys?

Who are you flying with in November? When we booked our flight, we made sure there was great in flight entertainment on both legs. Thank you Singapore Airlines! :notworthy:

Hope everything goes well for you all.

Thanks for your reply...we are flying with Singapore def seemed the best airline..although we are not looking forward to it..you will understand when I tell you the boys ages..Mat is 11 and will be 12 when we fly..Nathan is 8, Sammy is 5 and Leon is 14 months....:jiggy:

How long have you been in Oz for?

Lia

Hi

We are going over in August via Singapore, flight booked for the 19th arrive 21st. I'm very lucky as my cousin lives in Aberfoyle Park so I'm getting some great inside information. Sorry if I gave you the impression that we were there already. Our eldest is 11 now but will be twelve when we fly, so adult flight price for him in August.

X

I'm with you on the switching, feels like a roller coaster but now we have booked flights, it feels so much better . We can start planning now by working backwards from the flight date and it has helped with the kids having an actual date for them.

What stage are you at with your application process? Wherever you are I hope it goes smoothly for you

Hi we are awaiting the big decision from the high commission! All our paperwork is in now and there is nothing else we can do!

We have applied for a Carers Visa and will be living someone near Blakeview/Elizabeth area. It's been a long road to get to this point but fingers crossed

I kinda think that they wouldn't have sent us for our medicals if they were going to say no

I am sure I will post on here when we know one way or another - it's been a real inspiration, reading about others journeys and consequently there arrival reports.

Thanks for your good wishes and good luck again for all your planning - do you have your house up for sale? I think that is the most difficult part - just how long do you need to sell you house and be ready to go

Wendy

Hi Wendy

I don't know if this helps, but it only took four months for our visa to come through after we were asked to go for our medicals (Sept 09 medicals Dec 09 visa decision :notworthy:) so I'm sure it won't be long before you have your decision. :wubclub:

House is for sale, not much movement here locally in the market :sad: but we need to go over to validate the visas and get the kids settled in at their new schools, so we have decided that if necessary we will leave the house for sale empty. I have also found out that I am a paper squirrel and even though we have had a major declutter, we need to do lots more. I haven't even looked in the sheds yet :swoon:

Guest liamcnaught

You're in the same boat as ourselves MAt turns 12 at the end of august so adult price for him..typical!! Singapore seems to be the airline that gets the best reviews and certainly we want to make the journey as easy as possible. I decided to really depress myself and checked out flying first class and even suites are on offer...how the other half live!!!

You're in the same boat as ourselves MAt turns 12 at the end of august so adult price for him..typical!! Singapore seems to be the airline that gets the best reviews and certainly we want to make the journey as easy as possible. I decided to really depress myself and checked out flying first class and even suites are on offer...how the other half live!!!

Agree with the airline reviews for Singapore, just the increased leg room sold it to me. The food is supposed to be okish for airline food and the films, and games etc looks good on board. We've also been told they are great with kids. We made sure our first leg was on the Airbus Heathrow - Singapore. We've flown now three times with the kids long haul and they have been great, but with flights this long you need all the help you can get! :err:

How much was first class tickets? The suites sound amazing, I've always wanted to turn left at a plane door, managed business class once pre kids that was great :)

Hi,

We booked our one way flights on the same day with Singapore Airlines!! The double baggage allowance and great recommendations did it for us.

Can't wait, we feel like we haven't done enough yet. Have got the first removal company coming tomorrow (Pickfords) and haven't really sorted out anything in the house yet, but really need to get on with it!!

We have managed to secure somewhere to live in Adelaide, thanks to a generous family member and we have managed to get the kids enrolled in a school. Still feels like we have loads to do and learn and time is running out!!

Cheers

Gary

Hi,

We booked our one way flights on the same day with Singapore Airlines!! The double baggage allowance and great recommendations did it for us.

Can't wait, we feel like we haven't done enough yet. Have got the first removal company coming tomorrow (Pickfords) and haven't really sorted out anything in the house yet, but really need to get on with it!!

We have managed to secure somewhere to live in Adelaide, thanks to a generous family member and we have managed to get the kids enrolled in a school. Still feels like we have loads to do and learn and time is running out!!

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary

We'll probably see you at Singapore Airport :) Two zombies and three kids, we should be easy to spot. We're planning to use the pool there and we've already booked some rooms to chill out in.

You have prompted me to send an email to a High School re enrolment :notworthy:. Probably need to get a move on with that really :err: so I hope you don't mind me asking but which primary school have you enrolled them in?

Hope everything goes well with the house :wubclub:

Hi Gary

We'll probably see you at Singapore Airport :) Two zombies and three kids, we should be easy to spot. We're planning to use the pool there and we've already booked some rooms to chill out in.

You have prompted me to send an email to a High School re enrolment :notworthy:. Probably need to get a move on with that really :err: so I hope you don't mind me asking but which primary school have you enrolled them in?

Hope everything goes well with the house :wubclub:

Hi,

I would imagine we will look much the same as our youngest is 5 and she is going through a really inquisitive talkative stage where I wouldn't be surprised if she talked constantly for the first 12 hour leg!

We haven't booked any rooms yet, but I was intending to do so. Do I book at the transit hotel website ?

We have enrolled them at Westminster in Marion, we went through a huge selection process to narrow down the schools, we then emailed 6 of them to find that only 2 had availability in the year groups we needed.

The final decision was made based on the league tables Find a school | ACARA

They were really useful in the end and basically made the decision for us.

Hi,

I would imagine we will look much the same as our youngest is 5 and she is going through a really inquisitive talkative stage where I wouldn't be surprised if she talked constantly for the first 12 hour leg!

We haven't booked any rooms yet, but I was intending to do so. Do I book at the transit hotel website ?

We have enrolled them at Westminster in Marion, we went through a huge selection process to narrow down the schools, we then emailed 6 of them to find that only 2 had availability in the year groups we needed.

The final decision was made based on the league tables Find a school | ACARA

They were really useful in the end and basically made the decision for us.

Hi

OH booked directly using the Ambassador Hotel website Ambassador Transit Hotel, apparently you only pay once you have checked in at the hotel. We thought it would be good for the kids to be able to use the pool and also have some r & r.

Though apparently the airport is supposed to be great Welcome to Changi Airport.

Thanks for the information re the schools, we had better get a move on I think.

Good luck on the move (everyone), I am thrilled for you who have chosen the South, you will feel at home....and to think you have made the decision from Internet research, its amazing how technology helps with such big decisions, all this virtual stuff, it saves all the messing about (and time wasting), and deciding when you arrive.

It also leaves more space for those of us who stuck in the north.

Guest willfam

Hi,

I think you will find Westminster is a really great school. Both our boys went there and had a fantastic education and are now in really good jobs and have a really good network of friends from school. I assume that you have looked into the school fees...they are not cheap!! Don't want to scare you or put you off because as I said we were REALLY happy with the school but, the fees DO NOT include things such as camps/ trips, books (Exercise or reference). Some subjects also incur an additional fee eg IT.

Good luck on the move (everyone), I am thrilled for you who have chosen the South, you will feel at home....and to think you have made the decision from Internet research, its amazing how technology helps with such big decisions, all this virtual stuff, it saves all the messing about (and time wasting), and deciding when you arrive.

It also leaves more space for those of us who stuck in the north.

I've got to confess to cheating on the internet only research!! My cousin has lived in Adelaide now for over twenty years so we have had some great information from her. It's been really useful for us and this forum has been great for information also.

My hubby is more concerned at the moment with managing to time it right to watch his beloved Chelsea at every opportunity at the start of the new premier season.

Hi,

I think you will find Westminster is a really great school. Both our boys went there and had a fantastic education and are now in really good jobs and have a really good network of friends from school. I assume that you have looked into the school fees...they are not cheap!! Don't want to scare you or put you off because as I said we were REALLY happy with the school but, the fees DO NOT include things such as camps/ trips, books (Exercise or reference). Some subjects also incur an additional fee eg IT.

Thanks for the information. :wubclub:

We think its great how transparent all the Schools are with cost of fees etc. We pay a huge amount each term over here but it is dressed up as voluntary contributions/donations as they can't be seen to be charging any extra.

Which High School did your boys go onto from Westminster?