Hallo there! - I'm an oldie

Guest malvina

Guest malvina

Didn't know this forum existed! wish I had found it earlier

I came here in l971 - from Kent - and now live in Kilburn (awful area but good for transport with no car) :v_SPIN:

Guest mimasawrus
Welcome Malvina to Poms in Adelaide.

You were just across the water from where I used to stay in England, Canvey Island actually.

Seeing as you have been here that long I am sure you will be able to help answer some of the new to Adelaide members questions.

Andy

Hey I just read your post and see that you are from Canvey Island we have been here for nearly six months now and we come from Leigh on Sea we could see the Island from the balcony at the back of our house. I know its stupid but tese things really do tickle me. There is a girl in my daughters class that comes from Chalkwell

Anyway thanks for reading my post

Laura x

Guest mimasawrus

Hi there,

Wow what a small world I used to work in Southend and the kids went to Westleigh school urgggh.

Adelaide, we are settling fine we arrived here in October with just our suitcases and three dogs after quarantine of course. We decided not to ship we decided to start completely from new. Of course we brought the kids as well. We currently live in a not that good rental BUT!!!

Since being here Jon has found a really nice job, the kids have settled in school and have said they never want to go back. We have bought a lovely plot of land and have signed up for a house build down in Aldinga colour choosing on 22/4/10 so we are getting settled and we are very excited about our house. The exchange rate has caused a few headaches but we decided our money was better with us here than looking at it back there. You really do feel better once that aspect is sorted and you dont have to look at the exchange rate any more.

There have been some ups and downs mainly due to uncertainty in my head but I think I am ironing those issues out now. I do miss my mum but she only went back in January and is coming back again in May so its not really a problem, and as soon as we can sponsor her she will be here permanantly. So it looks like Leigh on Sea is a completed chapter in our lives that will never be forgotton, but South Australia what ever it throws at us is going to be our home, and we feel very lucky to have been able to have this adventure

Laurax

Guest mimasawrus

I came here in l971 - from Kent - and now live in Kilburn (awful area but good for transport with no car) :v_SPIN:

Sorry I am not an oldie I have only been here 5.5 months but welcome to PIA I habe used your post when i discovered another user lived close to me in the UK, so thanks for that. I hope you enjoy this site

Laurax

Hi there,

Wow what a small world I used to work in Southend and the kids went to Westleigh school urgggh.

Adelaide, we are settling fine we arrived here in October with just our suitcases and three dogs after quarantine of course. We decided not to ship we decided to start completely from new. Of course we brought the kids as well. We currently live in a not that good rental BUT!!!

Since being here Jon has found a really nice job, the kids have settled in school and have said they never want to go back. We have bought a lovely plot of land and have signed up for a house build down in Aldinga colour choosing on 22/4/10 so we are getting settled and we are very excited about our house. The exchange rate has caused a few headaches but we decided our money was better with us here than looking at it back there. You really do feel better once that aspect is sorted and you dont have to look at the exchange rate any more.

There have been some ups and downs mainly due to uncertainty in my head but I think I am ironing those issues out now. I do miss my mum but she only went back in January and is coming back again in May so its not really a problem, and as soon as we can sponsor her she will be here permanantly. So it looks like Leigh on Sea is a completed chapter in our lives that will never be forgotton, but South Australia what ever it throws at us is going to be our home, and we feel very lucky to have been able to have this adventure

Laurax

Well Laura it sounds like you are all really giving it everything you have got and it's working out for you, that's great to hear.

Good luck with the house build, Aldinga is a lovely place (the beach hasn't got anything over Leigh on Sea or Canvey Island seafront tho ....... lol :biglaugh:)

Hope things continue going so well for you all.

Andy

Guest mimasawrus

Aldinga is a lovely place (the beach hasn't got anything over Leigh on Sea or Canvey Island seafront tho ....... lol :biglaugh:)

Hope things continue going so well for you all.

Andy

Hi Andy,

You are so right no comparison to the Thames Estuary, but we will just have to put up with it I suppose

Laura x

Guest laurist12

Hi everybody. My name is Linda. I am from Australia. I enter this forum by chance but I found that there are many interesting things shared here. Nice to join and make friend with everybody here.

The Joneses

Guest Admar72

Hi Malvina,

We're not quite there yet but with only 6 wks to go are doing all the goodbyes and leaving do's oh and lots of antisipating (me)

Anyway we've lived in Milton Keynes for the last 18 yrs but moved here from Kent in '92 (i was born in Dartford, hubbie Bromley and kids Sidcup) We're all really looking forward to starting afresh in what looks to be a beautiful country.

Welcome to PIA , it's an extremely usefull site for all us newbies and i'm sure you must have lots of sound advice after nearly 40 yrs of living the life there.

Maria :wubclub:

Guest moonraker1959

Hi Malvina,I live in the UK now but emigrated to Adelaide with my parents way back in 1970,so not long before you arrived!Did you stay in a hostel?We did and it was absolutely awful.Pennington?Looked like some kind of concentration camp to be honest.My Mum wanted to get back on the first flight back to the UK!:)Wow so much has changed in that time though has'nt it?I think we moved to Adelaide at that "golden"time when it really was the land of milk and honey.I remember my parents had a house built in Modbury(still live in that area but later moved house)and I think it costs $22,000!My older brother (builder)brought a plot of land up Modbury Heights for $250!!!!!!!!(that was mid 70's).Its nice to see an older poster on here that would remember things that I do!

• 2 weeks later...

Intersted to read your post Moonraker. I am an oldie too. We emigrated to Adelaide in 1973. Built a house with RDC at Modbury Heights. The block cost $4,500. Toatal cost with house built was $19,750. That included the front garden being landscaped but no driveway. Golden Grove was still countryside. Tea Tree Plaza was there but much smaller. Also Modbury hospital.

Hallet Cove was still sand dunes. The shops closed at Midday on Saturday. Service stations were closed on Sunday but there were a couple of petrol pumps that you could put coins in & serve yourself. Wages were about $100wk for a tradesman but you could buy enough food for a family of four for $30.

RDC arranged for us to have OAA which was at Clovercrest, Modbury. Some at Campbelltown & Valley View. The cost was $24wk Which included everything including clean sheets & towels delivered each week. The milkman delivered milk during the night. Each night we left the money outside the front door for him.

Not sure you could do that these days!