We've taken the first step

Guest Geordie Boy

Guest Geordie Boy

Hi guys,

Thanks to those of you who have been so helpful and supportive to my earlier posts.

Well, we have now made the first step. We have made the decision to go and have signed up with an Agent (thinking australia).

We are trying to get a permanent visa under the Employer Nominated Scheme as Darryl thinks that is the best route for me given my age and background.

We have had some pretty fierce opposition from within the family to this decision. My son (aged 30) travelled up to Dundee from Newcastle to try to persuade me out of it with the old moral blackmail stuff (we'll never see you again, you will never see any grandchildren you might have etc etc)

My wife's kids have both said very clearly that the do not want to go and they will not go.

Her daughter is 19 and so obviously can do what she likes, and will obviously now have to start looking out for somewhere to live on her own etc

Her son though is only 13 but in Scottish Law he is considered old enough to make these decisions. He has said he wants to stay in this country and will go and live with his dad rather than come with us. Marie's divorce was very acrimonious and unpleasant and her ex has said he will do anything he can to stop us going, and wouldn't give us permission to take HIS son abroad, even if the young lad wanted to go !!!!

Marie is not exactly extatic about this turn of events but is still determined to emigrate to Adelaide. She has taken the view that she cannot force her son to come with us, and that if he will be happier with his dad then that is what she will agree to.

However she is also determined that she will not be held to ransom by her ex or by her son.

So that's the beginning of what will no doubt be a very emotional (and expensive) roller coaster over the next few months, but they always say the first step is the hardest.

I am now on the hunt for jobs, so will be scouring the net from now, and registering with a few recruitment agencies.

Fingers crossed

Trevor and Marie

Guest nikkiandlee

HI,

My heart goes out to you!

I have an ex who is saying hi will co-operate however its all words so far I will have to wait and see!!!.

Good luck with it all and i really hope it all works out well in the end!

Nikki and Lee

Guest stufi1997
:arghh: You have to do what YOUR heart tells you........keep everything in a positive and light mood and i bet that once your settled and all the holidays with you in oz start ,you may end sponsering a few of them.!!!!!!:idea:

Best wishes you two.

The emotional blackmail stuff is very hard to deal with.

Let the opposing family members have time to get used to the idea ..................But don't give up.

Don't do anything to please others and cave in!!!

:)

Hi Trevor and Marie,

I'm sorry to hear that you have so much opposition. When my husband and I applied for our visa, my parents gave me a hard time too. Especially as I'd just had their first grandchild. At first they couldn't see what a wonderful opportunity we had in front of us.

A couple of years on and their attitude has totally changed. They are very supportive of us out here and applaud our guts to give it a go.

They arrive in 2 weeks and I can't wait to see them!!

I wish you both lots of luck. Maybe this is just a knee jerk reaction and once they see how determined you are, you maybe suprised how things turn around.

Judi x