Thanks to those of you who have been so helpful and supportive to my earlier posts.
Well, we have now made the first step. We have made the decision to go and have signed up with an Agent (thinking australia).
We are trying to get a permanent visa under the Employer Nominated Scheme as Darryl thinks that is the best route for me given my age and background.
We have had some pretty fierce opposition from within the family to this decision. My son (aged 30) travelled up to Dundee from Newcastle to try to persuade me out of it with the old moral blackmail stuff (we'll never see you again, you will never see any grandchildren you might have etc etc)
My wife's kids have both said very clearly that the do not want to go and they will not go.
Her daughter is 19 and so obviously can do what she likes, and will obviously now have to start looking out for somewhere to live on her own etc
Her son though is only 13 but in Scottish Law he is considered old enough to make these decisions. He has said he wants to stay in this country and will go and live with his dad rather than come with us. Marie's divorce was very acrimonious and unpleasant and her ex has said he will do anything he can to stop us going, and wouldn't give us permission to take HIS son abroad, even if the young lad wanted to go !!!!
Marie is not exactly extatic about this turn of events but is still determined to emigrate to Adelaide. She has taken the view that she cannot force her son to come with us, and that if he will be happier with his dad then that is what she will agree to.
However she is also determined that she will not be held to ransom by her ex or by her son.
So that's the beginning of what will no doubt be a very emotional (and expensive) roller coaster over the next few months, but they always say the first step is the hardest.
I am now on the hunt for jobs, so will be scouring the net from now, and registering with a few recruitment agencies.
Trevor and Marie