Don't mind the odd 'South African' ?

Guest ajw

Hi All

Yes I am in Joburg and I suppose South African (I do have a UK Passport if it helps my 'forum cred'), but pomsinadelaide seems to have so much more to offer (especially with forthcoming questions we are bound to have), so hope you dont mind!

Although we just got our letter now, we are looking to move to Adelaide (always our first choice) early 2010 for our Aus start. Although we do have some friends there already , the information on here (from a migration perspective, especially with small kids) is invaluable!

Thanks in advance!

AJ (37), Tasha (33), Christian (3,5) and Noah (1,5)

Application Type: Class VE, Subclass 175 Skilled - Independent

Lodgement Date: 27 November 2009

VISA GRANT DATE: 19 April 2010

Guest Django

We ave a few odd South Africans on here already and some normal ones as well. :biglaugh: So one more won't hurt. You are very welcome. After all we are/were all in the same boat and the more the merrier.

Enjoy the forum.:wubclub:

Pete

Howzit AJ,

Welcome. You really are making the right move. There are plenty of South African Brits here.

This site is brilliant and will provide you with all the info that you need.

We came here from Cape Town. Me and my OH are Poms but our kids were all born in Cape Town.

Now I have Aussie grandkids!

Cheers

Tamara

Tamara

Guest Squareman

Howzit!

I am here from Joburg, looking for a job. Much like you, I have spent most of my life in South Africa, but will always be a proud Scot

I was offered a job yesterday, and a good one too! Am just waiting for the offer in writing. Was told it would come through this morning, but nothing as yet :unsure: Patience was never a virtue :wacko:

Good luck Squareman. I'm an IT consultant who really (if career was everything) should have moved to Sydney or Melbourne for an easier start, and although I have not ruled them out as options, I wont do it until I have given Adelaide a fair shake. We love ths place and have friends there.

It has always been enough of a No 1 option for us to never really have a no 2 in fact.

Just a lot of things on this side to sort out first before boarding the plane!

Guest shella_n

Hi

We are arriving in June and my husband is from South Africa (PE) and he had asked me to look tosee if there were any sites for SouthAfrcansinAdeaide lol :D

Anyway, I can tell him ive found all you guys now

Cheers

Michelle

Hey Michelle

There is a website for 'southafricansinadelaide' so check it out, but certainly the 'poms' have it down to a fine art when it comes to information and tips from people still wanting to come to people just arrived or people that are already part of the Adelaide furniture. PIA is obviously a lot more interactive as a website too, which helps.

Good luck with the move.

We have our residency visas already but I have a work contract to fulfill here in Joburg til the end of year, then we're on our way.

Cheers

AJ

Guest Vicki

I'm going to take advantage of your thread to introduce myself as well.

I'm a Pom (South African OH) living in South Africa at the moment and also looking to move to Oz.

I've been here 8 odd years now and my sister complains bitterly that I sound South African - although South Africans say I have a strong Englishg accent!

So I'm currently just odd in South Africa ;)

and looking forward to being odd in Australia

Vicki

Guest Squareman

Cheers AJW, best of luck. I'm in the Public Relations field, so I don't have much choice but to move to a regional area, but thankfully Adelaide is all I know and I love it here.

I visited the South African website, but I agree with you that this, and another british websites are by far more helpful. Let's be honest, us South Africans don't even bother sticking our head out the window when the neighbour's house alarm is going off, so the chances of people responding to 'Where can we buy Creme Soda?' threads are pretty slim! :D

Tamara, I have lived in the south of Joburg all my life and not being well travelled, I assumed it's was an OK place to live. It's only when you come to places like Adelaide that you realise the ****hole you actually live in :confused:

We have friends in Joeys and have always ripped them off about living on a mine dump!

We have travelled extensively but will never forget that Cape Town is a stunning place to live...but it's unlivable due to crime and other factors. We don't miss the electric fence, guard dogs, armed response and our neighbours being murdered.

Our family have no regrets about moving to Adelaide...only wish that it had been 10 years earlier.

Australians are friendly and welcoming and there's no issue about being migrants.

Make the most of the opportunity to move to a free country.

Tamara

Hi,

We are South Africans living in the UK, been here 9 long years! Been chatting on this site for ages now and it's so helpful and we've already met some poeple going over.

It's good to see we not the only once on here. I've also found the South African Adelaide site and it's really nice. There is also a facebook group of South Africans in Adelaide.

If all goes to plan we will be in Adelaide latest Oct, now just the waiting game for work. How many of you had job offers before you went over ? We starting to think we may have to go without work and look once we there.

Good luck to everyone.

Lindi

Guest Squareman

Hi Ishcha

What visa would be applying for? The Skilled Migrant range of visas, which enable you to arrive and then start looking for work, have all been delayed for the next 3 years. If you want in sooner, you need an employer sponsor. This is the case for most people, but I don't know if there are circumstances that would enable you to qualify sooner? It's not like going from SA to the Uk.