Hello I'm new here pleased to meet you all!

Guest ozzy wannabe

Guest ozzy wannabe

Good Morning!

I have just joined this forum. My names Vicky and I'm married to Joe we have two children Jack 6 and Darcey 3. We are arriving in Adelaide on March 5th.

We are struggling to work out what to do now? Do we look for jobs 1st? house? area? schools? its soooooo confusing:goofy:. Trouble is we don't feel that we can commit to any area until we have been there and seen what there all like:skeptical:.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Vicky

Good Evening Vicky!!

Good to have you on board! Have you been on a reccie to Adelaide before? Or are you emigrating over without ever being here?

I'm sure the gang on here will point you in the right direction.

Judix:jiggy:

Hiya

It's Area and jobs really,you should try and narrow it down a bit as to which suburbs you fancy.Think if work is accessible from those areas.

Most areas have some good schools in them so you will be OK that way.

Property is becoming scarce at the moment,not much stock coming onto the market.

The long term rental situation is scare too,I'm trying to find some of our current guests some and some guests arriving in a few - not much out there.

You are right in not committing to an exact area - spend a lot of time driving through - at all times of day.

Guest dglamoore
Hi Vicky,

like roo1 said the regs will be along soon but you should get in touch with tyke on the forum here, he will have possible solutions for you and he is a really nice and helpfull fellow.

good luck.

blimey you do like this tyke bloke don't you :biglaugh::biglaugh: every post :biglaugh:

Lisa:o

Guest dglamoore

HI Vicky and Joe and welcome!!!

When you get here have a good drive around - give yourself at least a week to take in your new surroundings and have a good look around. After all you have just made a huge move and will be a little shell shocked :huh:

Once you have an idea of where to live then you know where to look for your rental. There are rentals around and we do not know anyone that took more than a couple of weeks to secure a rental they are happy with ;)

There are lots of agencies you can get in touch with for work and the local paper is a great resource too. With your little ones you will have primarys to chose from wherever you decide to live.

Just take things one step at a time and do not feel like you have to get everything sorted within one week of arriving or you will overwhelm yourself:wacko:

Lisa:cute:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi Vicky and welcome

Take the pressure off yourself and simply get here first .... we did research on the computer about areas but then I think you need to be here and drive around first before commiting to anything.

I cannot stress enough, it is all very good loving an area, but if you cannot afford to live there, then dis-regard it. All areas looks great in the UK on realestate.com but look a little different once you are here.

We tried to find work from the UK (husband a carpenter) but were told it was easier to do once here and we accounted for 2 months out of work time whilst we looked around. As it was, Keith got a job 2 weeks after getting here.

Best thing to do about many of your questions, is ask away, be specific, we are all here to help (if we can!).

Good luck

Sas

blimey you do like this tyke bloke don't you :biglaugh::biglaugh: every post :biglaugh:

Lisa:o

He's a good old mate is TADC,known him for years,stuck together through thick and thin.

Hopefully going to get him over here.

Guest ozzy wannabe

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your help. I guess the hard work really starts now!! :swoon:

We have decided to not apply for OAA and to look for a short term rental for a couple of weeks. That way we don't have to change schools or commit to an area we may not like for too long!!

I'm sure I will be back with more queries

Vicky

Hi Vicky and welcome.

Apply for OAA anyway - even if you only stay for a few weeks it gives you some breathing space and a good base to look around from, Once you find the area you like, you should be able to get the kids into school and commute in before you get settled into a rental. It is a cheap way to start off and worked for us!

Donna

x

Guest Aussiebound

Hi

You seem to be asking yourself the same old confusing questions as we do! I really don't want to put the children in a school and then move to another area and have to change their schools again. Just want them to be settled. Lisa did say to me you have 3 months before they have to be enrolled in a school, should give us time to find an area!

Sure you'll get loads of helpful advice on here, everyone fantastic with all their help and advice and we would be lost without Lisas Adelaide Bound website!

Hi Vicky,

My name is Val, my husband is Danny, we have 2 girls aged 16 and 13 (good babysitters!!!) we moved here nearly 3 years ago. We live in Glenelg North (near the beach, it's great). re jobs, it depends, I am a nurse and had a job lined up, Danny was in the Army previously and he struggled to get the job he wanted as he had very few qualifications. We arrived with a hotel room booked for a week and nothing else, it was tough sorting everything out, but we have no regrets. Adelaide is great, there are good schools everywhere and there is none of the crime and dirt of the UK. If you have any questions let us know we have been through the whole process, including visas (didn't waste money on agents). Re housing and areas have a look at on the net at realestate.com.au. It depends where you want to be; in the city is expensive, west by the beach (where we are) is a great, but of course by the beach can be expensive, up North (Elizabeth and Salisbury) is cheaper, but mixed some lovely bits others not-so. South is OK but again some areas better than others, Hallet Cove (south) is cheap not too far away, and a beautiful spot (but is a bit of a boom area at the moment), but every area of Adelaide is sunnier, cleaner and friendlier than the UK. Look forward to meeting you for a coffee, (lots of good coffee shops).

Regards

Good Morning!

I have just joined this forum. My names Vicky and I'm married to Joe we have two children Jack 6 and Darcey 3. We are arriving in Adelaide on March 5th.

We are struggling to work out what to do now? Do we look for jobs 1st? house? area? schools? its soooooo confusing:goofy:. Trouble is we don't feel that we can commit to any area until we have been there and seen what there all like:skeptical:.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Vicky