Biting the bullet

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

Hello from Rye, East Sussex, UK!!

We're a young family looking to emigrate to Oz. We're still in the early stages and although we are going to do this, the choice between Perth and Adelaide is confusing us :? - help us make our mind up with your views!

Thank you

Gra, Jac, Holly (9) and Owen (8) xx

Guest dglamoore

Hi

Welcome to the forum :lol:

We chose Adelaide as it was the only place we could get a visa :lol: :lol: due to points

Seriously though we asked ourselves if we could go anywhere where would we go and did look into other areas but like the 'family feel' that Adelaide seems to have plus the cost of housing.

Good luck with your decision - are you planning a reccie to look at both places before making your decision.

Lisa :D

Guest ladybird

Hiya,

We're just starting out as well! We went to Perth as part of our honeymoon a couple of years ago and stayed with friends there but we weren't really keen so we are going for a reccie to adelaide next week :shock: we'll let you know what we think when we get back!!

p.s. welcome to the forum

Good Morning,

I can't compare Perth and Adelaide but I can compare Brisbane and Adelaide.

We moved from Brissy to Adelaide in the new year and in the short month we've been here I've found Adelaide to be heaps friendlier than in Brissy, the people just seem chatier (is that a real word?), most of my neighbours have spoken to us, I wouldn't know my neighbours in Brissy if they bit me and we lived in the same house for almost 2 years up there. Both school age daughters have settled into their new schools amazingly fast, school only started up here last week after the Christmas break.

Guest graandjac

Thanks everyone so much for the advice - it is very helpful.

Yes Ladybird that would be fab if you could give us some feedback. Have a good trip :D

Gra and Jac x

Guest Guest75
Hello from Rye, East Sussex, UK!!

We're a young family looking to emigrate to Oz. We're still in the early stages and although we are going to do this, the choice between Perth and Adelaide is confusing us :? - help us make our mind up with your views!

Thank you

Hiya

We chose Adelaide because of it's family feel and "Homeliness"

Been here nearly 7 years and it just gets better.

Have a look through this forum and see what others have posted :-)

Guest betty22

Hi,

Adelaide chose us as well, because of the visa, However we are well happy. We have visited Perth, Melbourne, sydney and Brisbane before we came here to live and so glad we came to Adelaide.

Much more friendlier and laid back and soo good for the children.

And Not so much Traffic!!!

all the best

Liz

Guest donna T

HI there

We had to go to Adelaide as well due to points but after doing loads of research, I don't think we would have chosen anywhere else if we had the chance. Just feels right especially for the children to grow up in.

Guest graandjac

Thanks again for your contributions. We've looked through old postings (one of the best so far being about the creepy crawlies :lol: !! - didn't show the kids though :? ) and gotta say Adelaide sounds perfect for us. You are all so friendly as well. Just getting more and more excited!

Guest johnny06

We are also a young family who are in the early stages of trying to obtain are visa. One of my good friends made the move to Adelaide in June last year and they love it. Having three young children it was a big move for them but the kids have settled in straight away. For us its about getting the most out of life and trying to give my little boy Sam and any future children the best start in life. That is'ant going to happen in this country which in my eyes is going down hill everyday!! Have been before and its great, especially the outdoor life.

Guest ryan7376

Eyup, were in the same boat as u, looking at adalaide and brisbane. Have u been watchin that prog in a morn on beeb1 very useful, just bort a dvd recorder so not to miss out. Its all abit confusing but this site is very helpful. Ryan The Trician.

Ryan 30

Joanne 32

Lily 7

Amelia 6

Alfie 2

Guest johnny06

Wanted downunder been great and gives you an idea what its all about. Me and Charlie(the wife) sit down every night and watch the recording every night. We are always in touch with are friends in Adelaide to keep up with any news and to get any helpful tips. The process seems to be quite drawn out but we are in no hurry as long as it all goes through

Guest graandjac

We've seen a couple of the shows. Gra's mum and dad have been taping them for us as we've been at work. What we have seen though is very comforting. We are meeting with our emigration agent on sunday to start the ball rolling, so we are steaming fresh with starting the process!! We really want to make this move for all of us as a family but more importantly for the kids as they have no future in this country. What stage are you at? Good luck to everyone - see you out there! :lol:

Gra, Jac, Holly (9) and Owen (8)

xx

Guest johnny06

About the same stage as you. We are just going through all details at the moment with the agent. All very exciting but we are trying to keep are feet on the ground. Seems every young family agree its a good move for there kids. Its like everyone, they want the best for them. We certainly do!! When I was over there so many people make the most of the outdoor life, sport facilities are second too none and depending where you are the climate is great. Adelaide is perfect as for the climate and a major plus point as well is we could buy a property and hopefully be nearly mortgage free!! I'm SOLD!!

Guest graandjac

I agree totally. Can't wait. So you're sold on Adelaide then? Must say we are after doing our research. It's handy for you to have friends there as well to keep you up to date. But yeah, need to keep feet on the ground. Saying that, it is nice waking up each morning knowing it could be a reality one day and a very enjoyable escape :D. Keep us informed. When is the best time to put house on market? That's my major worry to be honest that we sell the house and it all goes wrong :?

Gra, Jac, Holly and Owen x

Guest johnny06

I won't sell anything too soon. Are plan is to put are house on the market as soon as we obtain are visa(fingers crossed!!!!). If the house sells straight away we will just put everything in to storage and move in with the parents. I don't think we would go till the house all sold and we have tied up all the loose ends in the UK. My only real concern is stuff like pensions as I'm not to sure how I would stand? Must look into that!! Also taking my dog with us. Alot of money to bring him over with us but he is part of the family.

Guest graandjac

I will have to leave my pet :cry: , we've got a house rabbit who is gorgeous. Can I ask what agency are you using? Some agencies are able to assist with your finances and moving your pension was one of them.

Guest johnny06

Not to sure the name as I'm at work and the wife is sorting that out. I think its visa-one or something like that. Reading other peoples comments on here it seems they all fairly the same its just who you feel comfortable with.

Guest graandjac

Our agent is Four Corners as recommended by 2 couples who used them to emigrate successfully, so....... (fingers crossed) we'll know more on sunday. We'll do an update on sunday called 'Bullet update'!! to let everyone know how we got on :wink:

Guest ste n sasha

:D Hi

We used four corners and i can highly recommend them they helped us with every step of the way :D

We have our visas and are going in may and cant wait :D exciting stuff :D:D

Guest graandjac

oh that's fab to hear :D - thank you! Where are you emigrating to and how long did the whole process take?! We're meeting Mark on Sunday - who was your case manager? I won't wish you luck as you won't need it! - well done and hopefully see you soon!!

Gra, Jac, Holly(9) & Owen (8) xx

Guest ste n sasha

:D

we are off to adelaide dont know were yet :?: when we get there we can have a good look around :D and then decide :D

our case officer was corrie fox she was brill :D nothing was to much trouble for her, i must have drove her mad though, always asking to many questions :roll:

It took all together 17 months from start to finish, I think it would have been quicker if steve's job was on the MODL list when we applied, sods law it was on there after we applied :x

good luck