hello to anyone who can help

Guest Claireandchrisdownunder

hi my name is claire and i am married to chris and we have three children, 16, 15, and 8. We arrive in adelaide on the 12th June and are looking forward to our new life. My children would love to know what the schools and the uniforms are like, and how many spiders you all see...... not looking forward to that part. we are just at the point of saying too many goodbyes and cannot wait to get on the plane. Any advise on arrival would be gladly received.:notworthy::

Guest Guest75

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Wow! Not long now!

Our paths will nearly cross as I am seeing of my good lady that day .

Have you everything organised for your arrival? Are you being met?

Take it easy for the first few days as the jet lag can be awful.

Guest Lisajonesey

Hello!

Wow! - not long now!!!

we've been here a year and haven't seen a single nasty, creepy or slithery thing - and we've been camping a lot too.

We don't have any kids, but most of the school uniforms people wear seem a lot better than what I had to at school! - there is one school though where the girls have to wear chin length tartan skirts - I feel so sorry for them! (you can wind your kids up and tell them you'll send them there if they don't tow the line!)

:cute:

Guest Toby

Hi and iam sure you will love your new life here. The school uniforms depend on each school really, some do have the long skirts and stuff you see on home and away, others are a bit more relaxed, if you know which school they are going to i am sure a few people on here will be able to tell you the good and the bad. The schools my kids go to have a spring/summer uniform and a autumn/winter uniform, and 2 days a week they haveto go to school in a sports kit(the sports kit days are pretty standard in all schools I think) My daughter is in primary school and her winter uni consists of a long skirt, shirt, tie and jumper, her summer is just an all in one summer dress, the sports uniform is a school polo shirt, school sports jumper tracksuit bottoms and trainers. My sons is just like a UK unform with blazer and tie in winter, but in summer they wear polo t shirts, sports unifom is a school tracksuit, polo shirt and trainers. Now this isnt what they all where at all the schools but you will see a lot of schools do take pride in there children wearing the correct uniform. And after a few weeks of wearing the uniform the kids feel just at home in these uniforms as all there new friends have to wear them as well and it becomes a leveler for them all as there isnot as much showing off with the latest jacket or trainers or bag as they have to have the standard school items.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers

Toby

Guest PompeyPom

Hi, our girls are aged 11 and 8 and attend McLaren Flat Primary school. In the summer months they wear shorts and polo tshirts and trainers, (girls can also wear summer dresses) as the cooler days are here (sometimes) they have just started wearing track pants (joggers) and long sleeved polo shirts. Willunga High School wear pretty much the same I believe. My girls were well impressed that they didn't have to wear proper school shoes and uniform anymore!

I think it depends on whether you choose a private school because Tatachilla Lutheran college wear 'proper' school uniform - like pinafore dresses mentioned above.

We arrived in October and have only seen a few red back spiders and white tips, also a couple of huntsmen spiders.

Do you know where you are headed for yet? We are renting in Aldinga Beach at the mo (it's lovely - about 10 minutes walk from the beach). Although it takes 20 minutes to drive my girls to school - but well worth it.

Goodluck with all your goodbyes.

x

Hi Claire from another mother of a teenager! As has been said, school uniforms do vary a lot - most schools have summer and winter uniforms. The main difference between state and private schools seems to be the length of skirt worn by the girls!! At my daughter's school they get penals (what I'd call 'detention'!) if there is flesh showing between the bottom of their skirt and the top of their socks, but at a couple of other schools nearby, the girls seem to roll the waistbands of their skirts until the hem barely covers their bum!! Most high schools have a separate sports uniform, but most (state) primaries don't seem to and the kids just wear trainers all day.

You see occasional creepy crawlies, and best to be aware of them when picking up garden furniture, or walking in woods/sand-dunes etc, but more often you see great things like koalas in the trees, blue tongued lizards (we had one come into the laundry once), brightly coloured parrots, and noisy kookaburras!

Whereabouts are you headed for when you arrive? If it's this side of town, shout out when you arrive and we can get together for a coffee or something if you like.

Diane

Thank you for your help, we are being met at the airport and have accommodation booked for 6 weeks. We are hoping to buy a house maybe in Mount Barker, but who knows after looking around we may find somewhere else more appealing. My husband starts work a week later and hopefully my two daughters and my son will settle into school asap. My 16 year old daughter has missed all her exams here, so hopefully will be able to settle into the education system quite quickly.

I feel very reassured about the insects thank you all i have to worry about is getting on the plane now!!!! (still lots of tablets and alcohol will get me through that and the thought of the sun the other side and no British politics!)

My son would love to learn to swim as soon as possible, so he can learn to surf! we have just left the army after 22 years and he has never really had the opportunity. He also loves football and would love to find some children his own age to finally play outside with. He loves a good joke and has a wicked sense of humour!

Emily my 15 year old daughter (Her daughter is now writing.) I cannot wait to get over there, the weather and just the opportunity to be able to leave out doors and explore the area. Only thing that I am bothered about is making new friends and also the insects, the spiders in particular. Is it something you see everyday? Thank you for your help x

My husband has been a successful picture framer now for 10 years and we all hope to run that with our photography business. He will have a job to come to but will run this as well with me, is there a big need in this area?

Is there anything that you think we should bring in our suitcase that may be useful on arrival?

thank you again for all your help

regards and see you soon

clire:D

Guest uptheiron

Hi guys. We moved here nearly five years ago. We have four kids....16, 15, 13, 10. Eldest 3 go to golden grove high school .....love it..youngest at wynn vale. School uniforms are like any other...kids don't like them because they're school uniforms hehehe but theirs are green n gold..pretty cool really. lads have either 3/4 or long grey pants sorry trousers. Girls have green check dresses or theres the sports shorts n shirt. We've had the occasional large huntsman...seen a few redbacks and the occasional white tip. i sound so calm n i hate spiders..but it's really nothing any worse than we experience back in the Uk. Daz had a problem golfing when a red roo wouldn't move out of his way n he found that more scarey than the spiders hehehehe Hope you all enjoy the move. we found it pretty hard but absolutely worth it in the end. let us know when you get here safely.

Guest Jersey Bean
Hi guys. We moved here nearly five years ago. We have four kids....16, 15, 13, 10. Eldest 3 go to golden grove high school .....love it..youngest at wynn vale. School uniforms are like any other...kids don't like them because they're school uniforms hehehe but theirs are green n gold..pretty cool really. lads have either 3/4 or long grey pants sorry trousers. Girls have green check dresses or theres the sports shorts n shirt. We've had the occasional large huntsman...seen a few redbacks and the occasional white tip. i sound so calm n i hate spiders..but it's really nothing any worse than we experience back in the Uk. Daz had a problem golfing when a red roo wouldn't move out of his way n he found that more scarey than the spiders hehehehe Hope you all enjoy the move. we found it pretty hard but absolutely worth it in the end. let us know when you get here safely.

Hi there,

We going to be staying in the golden grove area

love to here your thoughts on GG high school,? hoping to send my eldest there she`s 12

Due over 6th July

Thanks Claire

Guest verulam

Hi Claire and Chris..we, too, are arriving in Adelaid on 12th June...6.40am!! Only for a holiday with Aussie hubbys family though. We did live in Adelaide for a while but hubby decided to become a British Citizen and we moved back to the UK.

Youll love Adelaide, its a beautiful city. Yes ther are spiders but the shops sell loads of sprays to take care of them, so try not to worry too much.Enjoy your flight and Good Luck for your new life downunder! x

Hi there

GG High School has a great reputation - I know quite a few on here who send their children there - I'm sure Stevo will be along at some point to reassure you as I think he's one of them (parents of GG children I mean - sorry!) and I know of others whose children are currently in Year 7 and will be going there in Year 8 next January.

Is your daughter turning 13 this year? If so she will probably go into Year 8 which is the first year of High School here. If she has already had her birthday and won't be 13 till 2011, you may find she will be in Year 7 which is the last year of Primary School - that has plusses and minusses - the main plus is that she will get a chance to relax and settle into her new country before the pressures of High School - Year 7 in primary is a pretty relaxed and fun year with lots of camps, sports, graduation etc - and also get to know some friends so they'll all be in the same position of going up to High School in January of next year together. Also she'll be with kids of her own age. Minusses I guess will be that she'd have already started High School in the UK, so might take a dim view of going back to Primary.

My son started Australian school in Year 2 and has now just turned 13 and is in Year 8. He is about the youngest in his year and most are a year older, because he started school in the UK when he was 4 and most are 5 when they start here. It's not any sort of problem, but obviously at that age, a year can make a big difference in size, development etc, and I notice it in the school soccer team, that the others are just that little bit bigger, stronger and faster than him....

HTH

Diane

hi there,this is my first time on here and i have been reading the forums,my name is clare and am hoping to arrive soon,i have 3 children aged 7.4 and 18 months.i have been looking for any advice on schools for the children and i read a frightening report from one of the members saying her daughters lunchbox had been spat in on her first day at school and she took them out and moved away from aldinga beach area-what do you think of the schools

Blimey I think Adelaide airport is going to be busy at 6.40am on Sat as I am picking up my best mate, hubby and daugher for a visit over here! I came over with 14 year old twin daughters in August last year. They go to Reynella East school and have loved it from the minute they got here. They have been made very welcome and have some lovely friends, the kids could not do enough to help. They love the uniform over here as the skirts are much shorter than the UK ones! and they can wear trainers. You see a few spiders but not that many to be honest, if you mortein your house it tends to keep most of them at bay but we always keep a fly swat to hand for the ones that get through!! Good luck with it all I am sure you and your kids will settle in fine.

Guest Jersey Bean

Thanks Diane,

Thats helped me

My daughter is 13 in September this year & is starting at gg primary school I spoke to a lady there barb she was really helpful & said the kids vary in age depends are situation.

My daughter is back a year due to living in Spain she had to learn the language then Dubai International school just put her into the next year after Spain.

She`s quite a tall girl & towers over a lot of the kids in her class but the kids are all diff ages depending on where there from, her Russian friend is tiny & she`s Is 13 & they don`t start school till there 7,. so its a bit strange.

In Australia they are about 6months behind so her going back a year has worked out the lady at the school checked her D.o.b in comparison to other kids in the year 7 & its about right

So Prob not going to help but best contact school & have a chat

Sorry i think I am just as confused

Good luck

Guest The Blaxlands

Hi Guys, Good luck with your flight over, I'm sure you'll be fine. I arrived here with my husband and two children 15 and 11 in January and am loving it here. Haven't seen many red backs but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary when picking up garden furniture. The children settled well into school, their uniform is shorts and polo shirts in the summer, and long trousers or trackie bottoms with polo shirts in winter. Girls can wear summer dresses and skirts and blouses but you don't see many. My daughter is 15 so if your daughter wants to chat to her to see how she settled in feel free to get in touch. My son is 11. Hope you settle in well

Take care

Sue xx

• 2 weeks later...