SOS - advise required

Guest lindagarrattley

Guest lindagarrattley

Hi All

Arrived on Monday and my 15 y.o is very miserable, can any one help us? We are here alone and she just doesn't want to bother, prefers to return to UK and carry on with old life. I'm torn, what can I do? Linda

Hi there,

It does take time!

We arrived here with three teenagers. Our oldest would only come here if we bought her a return ticket!

School should change the situation. Once she meets new friends it should sort itself out. Perhaps there are other teenagers that you can meet up with from this site who stay near you? Try some of the social get togethers and you may meet families with teenagers.

Tamara

Guest kangomik

Give it a few weeks, the weather will change soon which will help, get out and about. It won't take long before she makes friends, things are always hard at first

Guest Skippy

Hi Linda,

as has been said - it is really hard at first. We arrived with 4 girls aged 6,10,11 and 12 in early Feb 2010. Our eldest is about to turn 13. It was pretty difficult to start with but getting them into school asap really helped. It did take a few weeks of going but they've all made friends. Children here seem to be more friendly and generally more laid back. My eldest has now been to 2 sleepovers and is about to have her own (I must be mad!). She still misses her old friends but looks at it a bit differently now. She has her UK friends and her new school friends. It has taken this long but we are getting there. Good luck and hopefully that sun will pop it's head out again shortly and you can get them out. It's a real tonic for you and for them! Good luck - it's all little steps. Anna x

Guest markmet

Hi Linda

We too are in the same situation. My daughter is 13 and really struggling to settle as she is missing her old life in uk. I feel so bad at times, but have to remember why we came here in the first place. We are plodding on, but even though we have been here 5 months and she has started school she is still finding it hard to settle. Its is a struggle with school even though it is really nice and the other kids are friendly. We live in Flagstaff Hill so if you are anywhere close by maybe we could arrange a get together between them, thats is if your daughter is willing. Mine doesnt seem to want to make any effort meeting others, but I am always trying to push her, and I will persist until we make a breakthrough. Once they make some friends I am sure things would improve. I know it is hard for us parents as we dont like seeing them miserable. Hang on in there, and if you want to chat then please dont hesitate to get in touch.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Blaxlands

Hi Linda, Where abouts are you staying? and how are you and your daughter settling in now? I live in Hallett Cove and arrived here in January with my husband, daughter (15) and son (11). The kids settled in far better and quicker than I thought they would and my daughter has agreat social life already! Amanda still misses her friends in the UK but with the internet with MSN and Facebook she's always chatting to them. If your daughter wants to chat to Amanda or meet up and you too (!!) just let me know and we'll see what we can arrange!

Take care

Sue xx

Get her into school straight away, there are about 3 weeks left til the school holidays and hopefully she will meet some people her own age at least and therefore have less time to dwell on things and the friends left behind. She will probably hate it for some time but once she has a social life things will pick up. Tell her there is no going back and you are here for a set time at least. I'm sure things will work out.