clare

Guest css

hi im clare,we have recieved our sponsorship from south australia and are just waiting to hear from the diac,my husband tim is an electrician and we have three lovely children, katie 7,harvey 4 and joshua 13 months,i am reading mixed reviews about the school in adelaide and just read a really frightening report about one members childs lunchbox being spat in on their first day at school.Is there anyone who has recently started their children at a new school any information would be great thankyou.:wubclub:

Guest Guest75

Hi Clare

Welcome to PIA :):)

That incident could happen anywhere in the world to new kids.

I don't know the schools down there so can't comment further.

Hope you get some good news from DIAC soon.

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi Clair, we have been here five months, my daughters started school here two weeks after we arrived and have had no experiances like that in fact quite the opposite.

We find the school very friendly and they have made loads of friends in such a short space of time. What you have read i would say is a one off, and possilbe more prone to UK schools than schools in Aus.

Guest Skippy

Hi Clare,

we arrived 3.2.10 and started our 4 girls in school within 2 weeks. They are practically 13, 11, 10 and just 6. The schooling here is a bit different to the UK - it's more about confidence and achievement. My 4 love their school. They found all the fitness a bit daunting initially but now tell me how they're improving etc! The incident you refer to sounds terrible but as already said could happen anywhere. Each of my girls had a buddy initially and it really has turned out fine. My eldest struggled with making friends at the beginning but really didn't look back after a month or so. Hope that reassures you a little. Anna x

Guest mez10

Hi Clare,

The biggest worry for us was our 2 girls starting school. But from the first day each have at least 4 friends each. They have no problems with any of the children and they love the Teachers. Well no problems except for the youngest breaking her arm falling from the 'monkey bars' but that's kids for you.

We e-mailed schools before we came out to arrange visits etc.

The schools are different here, the kids do a lot more sporty things. It still makes me laugh when they come home and tell me about trying to play 'football' with a funny shaped ball.

The first thing they told us on our visit was 'if the kids don't like the school then there's nothing stopping you moving to another one'

We had a good idea on the areas that we wanted to live in before we came out which does help. So we only looked at the schools nearby. But we have found a good one.

Good luck with your move and just go on line look at the different schools

Darren & Janet

Hi Clare,

My 2 started school 2 weeks after we arrived. The teachers, parents and children made us feel so welcome. They even had us on their newsletter, basically saying that we had come from England and had no friends and to make us feel welcome. I can't fault them.

They do a buddy system here which helped my 2, where they team up with another child and they show them around.

Everyday when I go and pick the kids up, I have to allow at least an extra 20 mins in the playground for the kids to say goodbye to each other. Kieran's buddy always still comes out to me and gives me all the stuff he has forgotten in class. The kids take their roles very seriously. It was the parents that advised me of auskick. I enrolled Kieran and he just enjoys it.

Honestly coming from the UK, there was a lot I could say which would go against UK schools, but I am yet to find any bad press for the school that the kids attend. Even when it's PE, they kids go into school with another uniform for the whole day, this is so the kids are wearing more comfortable clothing and saves time in the classrooms getting undressed and dressed again. Very convenient.

Bottom line kids love there school, and I love taking them here.

Any questions just ask away!!

Prema