Got visas and flights.. we're on our way!

Guest picklesmummy

Guest picklesmummy

Hi everyone!

I posted a few months ago saying that my husband had been offered a job in Adelaide and that we were thinking about moving to Oz. Well, hubby accepted the job and we got our e457 employer sponsored visas through last week (the whole process took just six weeks from application, much quicker than we thought). He starts work mid October so we're flying out beginning of October. The shipping company is booked and the house in on the market... we're on our way!

We're hoping to rent (maybe buy) in Mawson Lakes - anyone one else on here live in that area? I had a thread about it before and I know a few of you guys are up in the North. Hubby is spending most of August out in Adelaide so we're hoping that he'll find somewhere for us to live then, otherwise he's going to book a holiday let to tide us over for the first few weeks.

We have a daughter who'll be 18mths once we reach Adelaide - if anyone could let me know of toddler groups etc in the area that'd be fab too, as I'm a stay at home mum to her and a bit worried about getting lonely.

Hi everyone!

I posted a few months ago saying that my husband had been offered a job in Adelaide and that we were thinking about moving to Oz. Well, hubby accepted the job and we got our e457 employer sponsored visas through last week (the whole process took just six weeks from application, much quicker than we thought). He starts work mid October so we're flying out beginning of October. The shipping company is booked and the house in on the market... we're on our way!

We're hoping to rent (maybe buy) in Mawson Lakes - anyone one else on here live in that area? I had a thread about it before and I know a few of you guys are up in the North. Hubby is spending most of August out in Adelaide so we're hoping that he'll find somewhere for us to live then, otherwise he's going to book a holiday let to tide us over for the first few weeks.

We have a daughter who'll be 18mths once we reach Adelaide - if anyone could let me know of toddler groups etc in the area that'd be fab too, as I'm a stay at home mum to her and a bit worried about getting lonely.

That's excellent:)

We're down south so cannot help on toddler groups but sure some one will be able to help. You won't get bored, don't worry.

All the best,

Cooler

Guest WhatNow?

You won't get lonely at Mawson Lakes. It's a proper little community. If you want to know what's on when you get there, the Library is the place to find out. There are lots of social events and you shoudl find it easy to get a rental as there is still a lot of house building going on and lots of the properties are bought as investments and rented out. Check out availability on www.realestate.com and if you need fully furnished when you first arrive I know of an apartment that may be available. Don't need a car either as it has its own railway station and good bus links if you need to get into the city.

Guest picklesmummy

Hi

Thanks for the posts - we're really looking forward to it! The next few months are going to fly by :jiggy:

WhatNow?, that's great information, really helpful - thank you so much. I'm really excited about being at Mawson Lakes, it looks like a lovely community and I love the idea of a new build house, having always lived in old (Victorian) properties here in the UK. Our stuff should be arriving very soon after us so we shouldn't need a furnished place, but thanks for the offer of help, that's really good of you. Roll on October!! :)

Guest WoodMartin

Hi there,

We have just bought a house in, and moved to, Mawson Lakes and we love it!

We have shops and cafes/restaurants 4 minute's walk from the door, and the train station is 8 minutes (although currently closed for a few months for upgrading of the rail line.) There are loads of buses though.

When we looked at buying here there were loads of properties we viewed. Try www.realestate.com where you can search the suburb for renting, and for buying.

You could look at the community website Mawson Lakes Community Website - Homepage as well.

Can't help on the toddler groups, sorry, but there are loads of families with young children here so I imagine there will be plenty of groups and activities.

Hope this helps, if you look us up when you arrive we could meet for a glass of something by the lake?

Ali

Guest picklesmummy
Hi there,

We have just bought a house in, and moved to, Mawson Lakes and we love it!

We have shops and cafes/restaurants 4 minute's walk from the door, and the train station is 8 minutes (although currently closed for a few months for upgrading of the rail line.) There are loads of buses though.

When we looked at buying here there were loads of properties we viewed. Try www.realestate.com where you can search the suburb for renting, and for buying.

You could look at the community website Mawson Lakes Community Website - Homepage as well.

Can't help on the toddler groups, sorry, but there are loads of families with young children here so I imagine there will be plenty of groups and activities.

Hope this helps, if you look us up when you arrive we could meet for a glass of something by the lake?

Ali

Hi Ali

Thanks for all the useful info, especially the community website link - top stuff! I'm really excited now. Been a rubbish day so far so it's nice to have something to cheer me up! I'd love to meet up when we get out there, it'd be great to get to know some people straight away and make some new friends :D How are you finding life in Oz? Had you been out on a reccie before you made the move or - like us - are you complete newcomers to Australia? :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WoodMartin

Hi there, sorry for the delay in replying....

I'd been to Australia a few times before making the move permanent so sort of knew what to expect. Actually moving is very different to holidays and travellling though!

We are fnding it really good - buying a house has made it seem real now. We arrived October last year, it's a good time of year although it rained a bit in our first week which was not expected!

Definitely we'll look you up if you don't get to us first.

Ali

Guest kangomik

Cracking time of year to get here.

I wouldn't worry about not comming before, we never and it's easy to fit in. In some ways i think it was better doing it this way than viewing the place in "holiday" mode.

It's a great place to bring up the little one, and you've picked a good area

• 3 weeks later...
Guest picklesmummy

Thanks :) We've cycled through pretty much every emotion so far, from 'I can't wait!' to 'Oh my God... what have we done??!!'

Pickfords are here right now packing up our furniture and things - it's really happening :wideeyed:

Thanks We've cycled through pretty much every emotion so far, from 'I can't wait!' to 'Oh my God... what have we done??!!'

Pickfords are here right now packing up our furniture and things - it's really happening

Just hold tioght onto that safety rail as the roller coaster is just about to get very exciting and very scary.....;):v_SPIN::err:

Catch you soon on the bright side.....

HG

Guest picklesmummy
Just hold tioght onto that safety rail as the roller coaster is just about to get very exciting and very scary.....;):v_SPIN::err:

Catch you soon on the bright side.....

HG

Hehe... I was just saying to my OH this morning that I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster, and I'm just at that bit where the car has chugged up the slope and is now on the level, and I can see the cars in front already going over the edge. You know, that bit where you traditionally think 'Um, can I get off now please?' ;)

In a few weeks time, we'll be in Adelaide. And it seems like just yesterday I was posting on here to ask whether people thought we should go for it or not! Hubby is travelling over in a couple of days, he's got two weeks in Mawson Lakes and we're hoping that he might be able to find us a rental in that time, but if not at least he'll have chance to have a good look about and it wouldn't be completely new to us when we arrive in Oct.