Hi there

Guest Nige69

Guest Nige69

Hi there all,

I'm Nige and have been registered on 'Poms in Oz' for a year or two and have finally decided on Adelaide to be our home hence registering Poms in Adelaide.

I have a wife, Dawn and a three and half year old daughter we live in Merseyside.

My story is this,

Applied August 2009 (IT MODL CSL)

CO December 2009

Visa 175 Granted March 2010.

We were looking at Sept' 2011 but now getting impatient and what with the economy over here and the fact that we'll have to activate the visa by Feb 8th 2011 think we might as well save £5K and simply leave in January. Small problem of selling the house mind you still looking into it this very week.

Now I'm very daunted by where on earth to start what do you all think?

Health

Education

Work

Exchange Rates

Place to Live

Banks

Transport

Adelaide as a city - layout & suburbs, etc.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to how we can look at the map of the city how big it is the name of suburbs where the work is, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It would be really appreciated if we could make some friends on the forums and get to know some of you like minded kind people out there. As I say daunting tasks lie in front of us although so does much excitement and hope!

Please get in touch and hello

Nige

ps Come on England & Oz in the World Cup although it has to be England in the Ashes 2010 / 2011 (for now anyway)

Guest WhatNow?
www.h2h.com.au has a useful suburbs database where you can search on distance from the city and on names of suburbs for all sorts of information. There is also a link to the Dept of Trade and Economic Development site's EasyData area where you can look at stats digested from the Australian Bureau of Statistics about what industries are in what areas, crime rates , county of origin of residents etc. There are also downloadable documents about renting and living in Australia and if you choose to use H2H services they offer help before and after you set out from the UK. They have a free helpline in the UK you can call to find out more.

Guest mcrossan

Hi Nige,

we just arrived 6 weeks ago and cant get over how big Adelaide is no amount of research really prepares you till you get here.

Everyone here says South is best to live in although north can be nice,south has best suburbs,beaches ect.

Lots of jobs here no shortage especially in trades,hospitality and healthcare,the Advertiser or career one are great to look at for jobs!

Transport is good can be expensive peak times.

It can appear to be very daunting, been there just 6 weeks ago(ha ha), only a suggestion take your time at your own pace and all will be fine when you arrive.

Medicare is like the NHS $62 for docs appointment and you get% of that back or the other option is take private med insurance.

Banking and shipping ect do nearer the time but it does pay to get a quote Anglo Pacific are good international removals and ANZ are a great bank.

I think you really need a car in Adelaide we are family 4 and don't have transport just yet,it can be tricky shopping,days out ect.

Hope this of some help,good luck

michelle

Guest kas17

Hi Nige,

sorry cant give any help, we are in the same position. Planning to move out in August this year, have just booked container and booking flights this week hopefully, very daunting as havent done a recce (due to various reasons). Sold house very quickly last month (on market 10 days), abit daunted about arriving in new place no house, job, car etc. If we can be of any support as going through the same let us know, certainly had a lot of support and advice from this forum already

Karen

www.2h.com.au has a useful suburbs database where you can search on distance from the city and on names of suburbs for all sorts of information. There is also a link to the Dept of Trade and Economic Development site's EasyData area where you can look at stats digested from the Australian Bureau of Statistics about what industries are in what areas, crime rates , county of origin of residents etc. There are also downloadable documents about renting and living in Australia and if you choose to use H2H services they offer help before and after you set out from the UK. They have a free helpline in the UK you can call to find out more.

Not sure this is the right link - I go through to a water treatment website! :err:

Hi there all,

I'm Nige and have been registered on 'Poms in Oz' for a year or two and have finally decided on Adelaide to be our home hence registering Poms in Adelaide.

I have a wife, Dawn and a three and half year old daughter we live in Merseyside.

My story is this,

Applied August 2009 (IT MODL CSL)

CO December 2009

Visa 175 Granted March 2010.

We were looking at Sept' 2011 but now getting impatient and what with the economy over here and the fact that we'll have to activate the visa by Feb 8th 2011 think we might as well save £5K and simply leave in January. Small problem of selling the house mind you still looking into it this very week.

Now I'm very daunted by where on earth to start what do you all think?

Health

Education

Work

Exchange Rates

Place to Live

Banks

Transport

Adelaide as a city - layout & suburbs, etc.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to how we can look at the map of the city how big it is the name of suburbs where the work is, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It would be really appreciated if we could make some friends on the forums and get to know some of you like minded kind people out there. As I say daunting tasks lie in front of us although so does much excitement and hope!

Please get in touch and hello

Nige

ps Come on England & Oz in the World Cup although it has to be England in the Ashes 2010 / 2011 (for now anyway)

I have found this map to very useful for where the burbs are.....

Map of South Australia | whereis.com

As for the other stuff, take a seacrh through PIA mate, you will find lots and lots of info about, jobs, schools, work etc etc....

Anything else just ask away....

HG

Guest steveandshell

Hi , We have been here 10 months now and love love love it we have a little girl age 7 and boy age 3 and they love it too and made loads of friends . so let me know if you need any info or want to get together and we will help you asmuch as we can .

We are at Aldinga Beach SA just beside the beach x

Shell x

Guest steveandshell

Hi Welcome to Oz

We have been here for 10 months and love love love it, we ahve a little girl age 7 and little boy age 3 they also love it.

We are at Aldinga beach which is Beautiful People so nice we made lots of friends and so has the kids.And we are also building our first home here in Aldinga.

So if you would ;ike any help or want to get together for chats please just send me a message .

Thanks Shel , Ste x

Guest Nige69
Hi Welcome to Oz

We have been here for 10 months and love love love it, we ahve a little girl age 7 and little boy age 3 they also love it.

We are at Aldinga beach which is Beautiful People so nice we made lots of friends and so has the kids.And we are also building our first home here in Aldinga.

So if you would ;ike any help or want to get together for chats please just send me a message .

Thanks Shel , Ste x

Thanks ever so much for that you may regret offering! If you don't mind I'll send some (lots) of questions soon.

Love

Nige, Dawn and Freya

Guest Nige69
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Hi Helen,

Welcome!!!!!!!

We're also VERY NEW to the forum we are having a reccie in November and moving next year sometime. If you don't mind it would be really nice to stay in touch - how far along the process are you? Have you got the visa and where do you live? We live in Merseyside and got our visa in March.

Take care

Love

Nige, Dawn & Freya

Guest Nige69

Hi there,

Many thanks for the delay in replying so hectic at the moment. We are in Southport any ideas when you'll get your visa what IT role / category did you go under I'm a BI Analyst.

I'll send you more messages when I've a spare tem mins if that's OK if would be good to stay in touch.

Thanks again

Nige, Dawnie and Freya