Flights booked!!! What is essential to bring.

Guest kas17

Guest kas17

have booked our flights last night we leave on the 17th August!!. :ohavent counted how many days/ weeks but its not long. Any suggestions to what we cant do without till our container arrives. We have booked migrant flights so have 40kg each

Karen

Unfortunately house sale fell through today!!!:sad:

Believe it or not we brought pillows and some duvets,

Because we had packed lots of clothes and loads of other stuff and still had room.

We did not know where we would be sleeping and the cost of these items so one case had four pillows two single and a king size duvet.

We also had the covers for these as well.

Just think about what you need to be comfy for a week or two and then fill the rest with anything.

We brought the laptop as hand luggage as wanted to Skype back to the UK from Singapore,

But did not want to see eight suitcases.

Oh dont forget you all have one piece of hand luggage to take on the flight.

Our kids Trunkies so we could drag the kids through the airport on them and the wife and me had a ruck sack each, So our hand were free.

Hope you get another buyer for the house soon,

Enjoy your time with family you will be here soon...

Rob and Mel

If you're likely to have job interviews when you arrive, little things that are easy to forget such as shoe cleaning kits are good to pop in. Ok they don't cost much to replace, but easier if you have them to hand. Also battery chargers for things like mobile phones, Ipods, rechargeable batteries. and a couple of those multi plug socket things so you just need to change the plug at the end for an Australian one then plug everything else into the board (oh and a screwdriver of course to change the plug!) Some photos and pics in frames are good too as wherever you are staying, you can make it feel just that little bit more like home in the first few weeks.

Guest guest3462

We had a bag packed with our kids most treasured toys and it worked very well for us, we also brought sheets and duvet covers ,but we came in the height of summer so could wait for the duvets!! I would wear your winter coats as you'll need them here in August - it can get quite cold!Also one of the most essential items is a bottle opener, cos its a killer when you get here on that first day and cant get your drinks open!! You should be ok with the same sort of stuff you would take on a self catering holiday as you will collect bits and bobs as you go along in the forst few weeks and there is always someone on here on hand to lend things out - if you are in the south, we have most things you will needs at first that you can borrow (blow up mattresses, plates, pans, kettle etc) just let me know, other than that there are lots of lovely people on this forum who will def lend a hand.

Get a big laptop bag and fill it full of stuff as it is not counted in your weighed hand luggage, ours weighed almost 10kg as it had all our paperwork in it for the move, visa and our house build documents.

To end, my personal thing to bring would be chicken bisto as you can't get it here and aussie gravy is rubbish.......(bring me one too!! lol)

Hi Karen we arrive just after you and have booked furnished accommodation for 8 weeks with the possibility of extending to 13 incase the container is late.

We can only use 23kg due to internal flight restrictions so are looking into using air freight for other essentials.

Let me know how you get on it would be nice to see how you settle in.

Thanks everyone for the tips especially photo ideas. I didnt realise your laptop is classed separately if so i will certainly use the space.

I also thought you couldnt bring food items as i wanted to bring coffee over?

I'd bring it, just make sure you declare anything and everything on the form they give you - my folks always bring loads of sweets and crisps for the kids (not me of course!) and they just declare it and are usually waved through. It's just stuff like fruit, meat, dairy stuff that they disallow, but if you say you haven't got anything, and it turns out you have... well, it's the old rubber gloves and "touch your toes, please sir" for you!!! (I watch Border Security!!)

Also one of the most essential items is a bottle opener, cos its a killer when you get here on that first day and cant get your drinks open!!

Get a big laptop bag and fill it full of stuff as it is not counted in your weighed hand luggage, ours weighed almost 10kg as it had all our paperwork in it for the move, visa and our house build documents.

To end, my personal thing to bring would be chicken bisto as you can't get it here and aussie gravy is rubbish.......(bring me one too!! lol)

This first comment made my sides split but then the wife pointed out there all screw cap are they not?

Second thats was one hell of a heavy lap top bag almost like the ones from the 80s.

Can you bring us some bisto as we are starting to get a little short and will have none by September?

Rob and Mel

Guest kas17

bringing photos is a great idea something I would never have thought of. Quite happy to bring supplys of bisto but also thought food was not allowed. Does it count as meat product, dont want thrown out of oz before we get there LOL. As for winter coats we are still wearing ours its freezing here!!!!

bringing photos is a great idea something I would never have thought of. Quite happy to bring supplys of bisto but also thought food was not allowed. Does it count as meat product, dont want thrown out of oz before we get there LOL. As for winter coats we are still wearing ours its freezing here!!!!

believe it or not the normal bisto does not contain any meat (has vego tick on packet)

Jo

Guest the4hopes

We put a lot of electrical things in hand luggage, hair dryers, straighteners, portable dvd player, plus about 40 dvds and cds in the travel cases and left the empty cases to go in container. Use light weight hand luggage bags, we made the mistake of using small wheelie cases and they weighed about 3kg each empty! Take a large hand bag, fill it up aswell because that isn't weighed.

Guest WhatNow?

Doesn't taste the same, Diane. I found their own brand of gravy browning (in a yellow box) was much more like UK Bisto apart from having more seasoning, as seems the way with everything here.

Guest me123

the little meat deli in the st agnes shopping centre sell bisto and a few other pommie bits i have noticed..greens gravy is very nice and they do chicken as well as beef.....$3 but pot quite small

Guest Matey
Hi Karen we arrive just after you and have booked furnished accommodation for 8 weeks with the possibility of extending to 13 incase the container is late.

We can only use 23kg due to internal flight restrictions so are looking into using air freight for other essentials.

Let me know how you get on it would be nice to see how you settle in.

Thanks everyone for the tips especially photo ideas. I didnt realise your laptop is classed separately if so i will certainly use the space.

Andi,

We had the same problem with the weight limit and sent some boxes of essentials by air. If you're looking for a recommendation we used a company called Independent Freight Solutions who couldn't have been more helpful. Contact details here: Independent Freight General Public