Taperoo

Guest bethef

Guest WhatNow?

IMO no better or worse than many other places in Adelaide. Some scruffy housing in parts but good access to one of the best beaches (Semaphore/Largs) and lots of things to see and do in Port Adelaide and along the Port River (dolphins, pelicans, walking, sailing, canooing, model boat club). Main downside is the proximity of the Adelaide Brighton Cement works and Outer Harbor, which can result in dust and smells from time to time. Having said that, because it isn't a 'leafy suburb', prices of houses and rents are reasonable and it is easy to get into the city and shopping at the massive centre at West Lakes is easy to get to.

Guest Ric & Paula

We live down the road renting in Semaphore.Lots of amenities for children,parks along the Esplanade,surf/lifesaving club,beaches as said,lots in Semaphore,waterslide/carousel amusement park with crazy golf....but you can get a good view of the cement works as said!We often cycle up to Taperoo stopping at a park for an ice cream,ours love it around here.Guess you need to have a good look!Happy hunting...

Guest Woody and Jane

I like the cement works, it reminds me of Dirty Harry. We've lived in Largs for a month now and so far no funny smells have come from it, at least not while we've been home.

The beaches are covered with seaweed at the moment which we've been informed is unusual but they're still great (even though it's winter).

I agree there are some scruffy looking houses in Taperoo but does it have more than any other area? Probably not.

Woody.

Guest WhatNow?

Source of smells/dust is often Outer Harbor sheep/grain boats but they only stay for a few days at a time. Friends of mine sold their North Haven house because of it but then again another friend who has a house on the Marina says it isn't an issue. Probably wouldn't get down as far as Taperoo anyway. I would certainly buy up there if I were in the market because it is quiet (no through traffic) and as you say, the beaches are wonderful and just round the corner.

Guest kangomik

I reckon it's going to be a property hot spot in 5 years time.

The beach's get full of seaweed every year when the winds turn southerly. But only there for some reason.

Used to be a lot of trust housing, but now a lot of new builds.

There are definitely "good bits" and "bad bits" in Tapperoo - even down to individual streets, so best to have a really good look around at various times of the day and night before buying or renting there. There are quite a few housing trust places that are being sold off there, and plans for quite a lot of redevelopment. As a mid to long term investment I think it is good, but short term you would have to really know what you were doing I think.

There are definitely "good bits" and "bad bits" in Tapperoo - even down to individual streets, so best to have a really good look around at various times of the day and night before buying or renting there. There are quite a few housing trust places that are being sold off there, and plans for quite a lot of redevelopment. As a mid to long term investment I think it is good, but short term you would have to really know what you were doing I think.

I think that sums it up nicely!

Guest JacquiHH
Just wondered what Taperoo was like for young families?

Not necessarily my opinion as we haven't been here long but Taperoo has quite a negative reputation from some local people. It does't really seem much different than Largs Bay/North but I'm sure it is down to personal opinion. There must be a reason that house prices are less there than further south. The Ocean View College also doesn't have a brilliant reputation. I'm not posting this to offend anyone just what I have heard. Again it comes down to personal opinion. Hope I've helped and not confused you more!!

Guest ajovanov

Pretty good, but good and bad bits, like anywhere else. Anywhere along the penisula is nice but mainly all along the west side of Military rd. And once you live on the peninsula you wont want to move off, being so near the beach and semaphore is great especially in summer. Taperoo is a younger area than Largs Bay and Largs North. But Largs Bay is heaps more expensive. Hope this helps. Annie